Home

Ska

ET Warrior

Originally posted by ET Warrior

So I'm sitting here listening to Less Than Jake, probably my favorite band of all time, and i was wondering how many other swampies enjoy Ska music?

I'm also a fan of punk, but i think Ska is my favorite of the two.

sorry but...who

Less Than Jake is a 3rd wave ska/punk band. Although their later sound has been alot poppier (read sh*ttier). Although I'm a huge fan of LTJ I wouldn't call them ska anymore, although they thankfully play lots of old stuff at their shows. :)

Ska is a genre of music developed in the 60's in the Jamacian area that's gone through 3 major sound changes over time. It went from a much more dancehall/ragga beat in the early days to the 2 tone stuff in the 70's and 80's to the more melodic 3rd wave stuff that surfaced in the early 90's. It's characterized by a reggae beat (usually played 4x faster than your average reggae song) with the emphasis on odd beats. The guitar is played rythmically with chords generally played in an upward swing & theres usually a brass section accompanying the band.

Ska is the only music I really dance to. Its a damn shame that the scene is leaning away from traditional ska style. don't get me wrong I love to f*ck people up at the punk shows (Clit-45, Oxymoron, etc... NOT Blink182 or MxPx.. they are the bane of mankinds existence), but you cant go wrong with dancing your little ass off at a ska show. :)

If you like LTJ you oughta check out MU330, Potshot (from Japan), the older Suicide Machines stuff, and of course Operation Ivy.

The only concert that i've been to as of yet, because i'm too lazy to actually buy tickets is one where less than jake opened for Bad Religion. Less Than Jake kicked serious ace....but bad religion does not put on a good show. I left when they started playing.

Originally posted by Nuron Serott

like; millencolin, NOFX, Pennywise & Rancid

Jesus Tapdancing Christ those arent ska bands. Rancid & NOFX have ska influences at times, but those are all punk bands. Try to catch a Toasters or Skatellites show, find out what real ska is!!!

It's my duty to clean up the rampant misconceptions in the scene, brick by brick. :)

It's CRAZY how people can mix up punk and ska. I'm glad you enjoyed it RatmJedi......i love them. Favorite band as i have mentioned....i'm so excited i just ordered 3 Cd's of theirs, so i'll have 7.....excellent.......:D

I do like Rancid, they're a good band....TOTALLY punk.....but a good band nonetheless....

Hmmm, i'll have Losing streak, pezcore, hello rockview, borders and boundaries, pez collection, loser kings and things we don't understand, goodbye blue and white. I'm guessing you have Greased and....that one other one..i forget the name. I dont want to get greased because my school put on that musical last year, i was in it, sang those songs around 10 million times, and i'm REALLY tired of them....

Archived