Home

CMI and Fonts

netmonkey

Anyone knows how the fonts worked on CMI? I mean, they had that nice little font, but did the engine create the outline/shadow for the font? or was the outline like a bitmap or other font? What kind of font was the font itself anyway (was it like a bitmap font..?)? I'm guessing it wasn't TTF.

So many questions!

AFAIR the fonts in CMI were the .nut files (the format similar to the Insane cutscenes). I think I have (or had) a simple viewer for them...at least I have the specs of the Nut files somewhere on one of my backup-CDs. Maybe I can code a little viewer for the fonts.

The outlined/shadowed fonts had two colors: One for the font color, the other one for the shadow/outline color.

Darn, if I only had more time I could finally realize my Scumm/GrimE tool...but I don't have time.

You only realize how precious time is when you've got none left :)

We've got some Nut viewer code in ScummVM (scumm/smush/frenderer.cpp).

I'm not sure how similar the format is against CMI, but it renders the Full Throttle and Dig fonts perfectly.

Originally posted by john_doe

AFAIR the fonts in CMI were the .nut files (the format similar to the Insane cutscenes). I think I have (or had) a simple viewer for them...at least I have the specs of the Nut files somewhere on one of my backup-CDs. Maybe I can code a little viewer for the fonts.

The outlined/shadowed fonts had two colors: One for the font color, the other one for the shadow/outline color.

Darn, if I only had more time I could finally realize my Scumm/GrimE tool...but I don't have time.

You only realize how precious time is when you've got none left :)

Originally posted by Ender

We've got some Nut viewer code in ScummVM (scumm/smush/frenderer.cpp).

I'm not sure how similar the format is against CMI, but it renders the Full Throttle and Dig fonts perfectly.

I think the fonts are the same, however, I *think* there was one font that used another codec I didn't find in any The Dig or Full Throttle font.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived