Home

** OPENGL / VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS, LOOK HERE!**

Andy867

Did this Thread Help you with your Video Card problem?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Did this Thread Help you with your Video Card problem?

• Yes, Thank You.
    • No, It did not help me.

Ok, I figured I'd make a sticky of this because a lot of people get this error, and instead of 100 individual posts about the same error being made, why not just one post that explains the fix. What I am talking about is if you go to load up Jedi Outcast after installation, whether its from a new format of the hard drive, or just for the first time, and you are all excited and you get this error:

JK2: v1.0x win-x86 Mar 4 2002

Initialising zone memory .....

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8011 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (6674 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base

----------------------

14685 files in pk3 files

execing default.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------

Skipping check for DirectInput

Joystick is not active.

------------------------------------

------- Force Feedback Initialization -------

...inhibited, not initializing

----- Client Initialization -----

----- Initializing Renderer ----

-------------------------------

----- Client Initialization Complete -----

--- Common Initialization Complete ---

Working directory: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData

----- R_Init -----

Initializing OpenGL subsystem

...initializing QGL

...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded

...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS

...using desktop display depth of 16

...calling CDS: ok

...registered window class

...created window@0,0 (640x480)

Initializing OpenGL driver

...getting DC: succeeded

...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )

...35 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...35 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT

...restoring display settings

...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)

...using colorsbits of 16

...35 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...35 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...shutting down QGL

...unloading OpenGL DLL

----- CL_Shutdown -----

RE_Shutdown( 1 )

-----------------------

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

You begin to freak out because you are unsure of what this means, so you come here to the Lucasforums, and the answer to this dilemma is that you need updated drivers that have support for OpenGL.

Here are some of the more popular video card manufacturer websites which have drivers that support OpenGL:

http://www.nvidia.com For those with GeForce, Ti, MX, and other cards (the recommended download is version 30.18 i believe, but I personally go with the Detonation Drivers, which are pretty stable, and you can access them under Download Drivers-> Download drivers-> Graphics and Drivers- > Detonator 40-> [Choose OS]

http://www.ati.com For Those with Radeon cards.

So, hopefully, this will solve the basic OpenGL subsystem errors.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what the heck should i do when i got a diffrent graphic card called SiS(kinda good but also no one knows it)

I am about to explode cause i cant figure out why this piece of junk demo(jk2) wont work....

your drivers didnt help me....

PLZ Could you find something else?

What you should have done before downloading the demo was to check to see if your computer met the specifications of ALL the requirements for JK2. Because with the newer the games, the bigger the demand for high-performing video cards. And your SiS video card is probably an integrated one, (built onto the motherboard) which games like Q3 and Jedi Outcast give a run for their money. Jedi Outcast is a farily high maintanence game with graphics.

I know i've seen somewhere that will allow Jedi Outcast to run in D3D (Direct3D) and it having to do with some command parameter, but the command is escaping me.

Well, you still might be able to play, but there are no guarantees on how the game will look. Like I said, there is a way to get the game to run Direct3d, or at least that's what I've heard, but I personally do not know where this setting would be.

Well......if you dont know it....then who else could know this? and why the heck can i play Q3A and not Jk2.............THIS IS REALLY SCARY!

I am a Star Wars fan, but my damn Computer isnt one.......PIECE OF JUNK!!! REALLY!!!

Does someone out there know how to set there parameters or something....PLEASE!!! I BEG YOU!

hm....

God hates me.....

I can play almost EVERY Q3 engine game.....but only JK2 wont work........

you know Star Trek Voyager? its based on Q3A too and i play it the whole day long....But this Goddamn Graphic card is driving me crazy........i hate my life no kidding

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm andy thats fine and dandy and all but 1 prob. What u just said is straight common sense. I came to this forum becuz i reformatted my comp and now opengl won't work. I went to http://www.ati.com cuz i have Rage 128 pro to install the newest display driver but it says its not compatible with my display adaptor which is impossible. What do i do now einstein:confused: I'm stuck with diablo2 L.O.D. untill you can help me.

• 1 month later...

ok... just trying to clarify, I've got the most recent drivers from Nvidia, (41.09) and I'm still getting the message that prompted this thread. Should I back my drivers down? or should I just give up?:fett: a prompt answer would be nice, but I understand if one can not be given (seeing as how there are several who have moved on to bigger games)

JK2MP: v1.02a win-x86 Mar 3 2002

Initialising zone memory .....

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\yoda_ghost.pk3 (37 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\Warrior_blade_of_Hades.pk3 (17 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\JediMoves20.pk3 (5 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8011 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (6674 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base

----------------------

14744 files in pk3 files

execing mpdefault.cfg

couldn't exec jk2mpconfig.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------

Skipping check for DirectInput

Joystick is not active.

------------------------------------

----- Client Initialization -----

----- Initializing Renderer ----

-------------------------------

----- Client Initialization Complete -----

----- R_Init -----

Initializing OpenGL subsystem

...initializing QGL

...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded

...using desktop display depth of 32

...registered window class

...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )

...23 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )

...23 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...using colorsbits of 16

...23 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...23 PFDs found

...GLW_ChoosePFD failed

...shutting down QGL

...unloading OpenGL DLL

----- CL_Shutdown -----

RE_Shutdown( 1 )

-----------------------

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

[/Quote] and thats after backing down the drivers any suggestions now?

Already have the most up-to-date drivers installed on my rig - Athlon XP 1800 + Abit NF7-S NForce2 + GeForce2 GTS - and still getting that OGL error. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Fixed it. My problem apparently is that I was running the Nvidia Nforce2 drivers, but not the 41.09 Detonator drivers. The Nforce2 drivers recognized my GF2 GTS in the Display Control Panel, but must not have included the OGL support like the Detonators do. I just took a wild guess and installed the 41.09 Detonator drivers on top of the Nforce2 drivers, and that got it working. I didn't uninstall the Nforce2 drivers, despite being warned by the Detonator Setup program that could cause problems, I just installed Detonator right on top of Nforce2. No problems yet, and the game works.

Hope this is helpful to others.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally found the solution to all this ;)

After hours of search on the net, trying all sorts of drivers the game finally starts normally.

I am now playing JKII on a 3 years old laptop (Compaq Presario 1200XL109) which has a Trident CyberBlade i7 with 8MB memory (shared with RAM!!!) by disabling most of the visual effects (which doesn't bother me).

This graphic card has only OpenGL support in windows98 but now I can fully use it under Windows XP Pro.

I haven't advanced single player mode a lot (and I guess that it would get somewhat slow at later larger stages) but for now I am very happy that I can play multiplayer without a glitch ;)

Enough babbling, on with the essential steps :

1. As others have already stated : Find the most updated drivers for your graphic card. This should eliminate all problems with OpenGL.

2. If you have an old (and probably obsolete) graphic card, download GLDirect from

www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/gld/gldirect-3.0.0.exe (21 days shareware :( )

Install it. Go to the control panel and click on SciTech GLDirect.

On the Main tab, under Set Rendering Options choose "Maximum Performance (Use SciTech GLDirect GAME Driver)", then under it Hardware (Direct3D Hardware Acceleration). Make sure your "Select Display Device" is correct.

Under the Advanced tab, you should only tick on "Always Blit (primary only)" and "Enable Mipmapping". You should experiment with turning these on and off (not necessarily simultaneously) and see what works best for you.

That's all folks ;)

I really hope that this works for other people too. Those especially with Voodoo cards who seem to have the most problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve recently had the "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem" problem, updating my videocard drivers did not help after a while i discovered that I had another porgram that was causing this, it was MatLab , i just closed the matlab.exe and matlabserver that were in the taskmanager and it solve the problem.

There are two solutions to this problem.

1. GLDirect - works fine imitating OpenGL, but after 21 days you have to pay and it may slow your gaming down

2. Update your display adapters as one helpful soul suggested I do. Display upgrades should be free and will solve almost every OpenGL crisis.

http://www.video-drivers.com/

Works wonders :D

MTFBWY

sys specs:

PII 350

192 MB RAM

Win XP Pro

card:

voodoo3 2000 PCI

I actually made a topic concerning my probs in more detail a but further down on the forum - it's called 'voodoo 3 issues'

I have tried all the fixes in the other sticky, btw - wickedGL and everything. :p

thanks

I heard if you renamed jk2sp.exe to quake3.exe or something like that, WickedGL would be able to install the necessary components to get GL working for the Voodoo3 series. But even if you could get it working, the game would be running extremely slow because of the processor and the video card.

I did actually try that. WickedGL installed the opengl32.dll file to the gamedata folder however this dll file was actually older than the one that I already have with WinXP. Needless to say, it didn't work. Maybe it was the fact that I couldn't find a new version of wickedGL and was using a circa 2000 build?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have a

P4

2.2 GHz

some kind of Nvidia graphics card

anyway, I had this error when I first tried JKII and I installed the detonator and everything worked beautifully. Anyway, a little while ago I decided I wasn't playing it anymore and uninstalled it. Of course now I really want to play again, and I'm getting the openGL error.

Well, I tried installing the new detonator and it doesn't work. :(

I only read the first page, I hope that you guys haven't answered this problem 10 times already.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived