Home

What is wrong with people?

Doubleplus GC

I'm not taking some "the world is full of horrible people" stance here or anything, getting jaded and shit like that, but a very good friend of mine and my roommate's was raped by a supposed friend and his roommate at her college campus on Halloween. So what exactly is it that is wrong with people that just about anyone can have in them to knock back a Zima or two and rape a recent aquantance?

It's not just mentally sick people. Anyone can be a rapist. But where did we pick up that it's in any way permissable? How does some collegiate freshman just say "fuck with it" and go ahead?

Just a brain siphon.

• 2 weeks later...

It's sick. There's so much **** going on in this world. I just often wonder, how the hell has the world become like this?

Poor girl, I feel truly sorry for her. Nobody deserves that sort of thing to happen to them, regardless of who they are.

You should track down these supposed 'friends,' and have it out with them. I am not suggesting violence, well not at first, even though they deserve nothing more than a severe beating.

Maybe they need help? Perhaps they have gone through some traumatic period of their childhood? I'm not trying to defend them, there's no excuse that justifies what they have done to your friend. I am actually hoping that there is some kind of reason, whether it be that they are retarded, or stupid, or have no soul. They cannot seriously be human, if they do this kind of cruel, evil act. It just disgusts me. I hope that in time, your friend can get over this. All you can do is be there for her, and help her in her time of need. I probably needn't have mentioned this, I believe that you would have been there for her, no matter what.

Have these people been arrested or anything? People who rape should recieve very harsh sentences. Some rapists get out after only 3,4 years. What's the ****ing point of that? They'd probably only do it again.

I hope that I have in no way, pissed off anybody with what I have posted. I hope that I haven't angered you or anything, GC.

First of all, I was extremely sorry to hear this.

I also apologize for taking so much time to reply. I guess I needed some time for it to sink in and get a grip on my thoughts.

So what I want to say is, no, these people are not the general rule, they are not the majority, they are not a specimen that represents all people.

No, not many people have it in them to do such things. I strongly disagree when anyone brings up the topic of moral deterioration of people over the ages, but that is not the point.

Anger (and along with it, bewilderment) is appropriate, but sometimes terrible things happen for no reason. This isn't meant to comfort anyone or to shake anyone up, it's just another fact of life. Many many bad things happen to scores of people - I wintess it almost every day on a national and personal level. Escapist as it sounds, before going and looking for answers for big questions it is more important to stick together and take it slowly.

I don't know if this helped any - I'm sure you have different things on your mind a month later - but I wanted to write something.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw her this weekend home from school. She's the same as ever, perfectly fine. I worry that it's unhealthy to try to act like nothing has happened or that it was no big deal, but it's most definitely preferable to having it tear her life apart. She's strong, always has been.

Here's another question about the merit of humanity that is far more positive: why is it some people have something horrible happen to them and then use it as a reason to justify being pathetic pieces of human waste to everyone else ("i hate you! i want you to die! i just beat you up 'cuz my daddy used to molest me! the world is ugly and so are you!") and other people come through identical problems and don't change in the slightest. These people always make me happy, and the people who become ugly inside after someone abuses them were probably ugly to begin with and just too timid to let it out.

Anyway, people, keep in mind, if anyone ever tells you everything happens for a reason they're wrong. Oftentimes something can happen that will convince you that some greater power is at work, but I don't think such a power works 24/7, and when shit happens, sometimes it just happens. And there's no reason and the only good that will come of it will be because you brought it out of yourself. Be strong people, and remember that you can always just kick the asshole in the nuts.

Archived