Home

i think they should make a Yuuzhan Vong CIV

angbandadmin

Yeah, Hutt Cartel would be more like it. And the Hutts really wouldn't be playable units anymore than than Neimodians are playable units in the Trade Federation (ie, maybe a toybox, but not a buildable unit). I can see why people might call it Hutt/Tatoonie since the only place we've seen the Hutts is there (in the movies anyway). If they had Sandpeople and Jawas working for them as well as weequay, droids, bounties, and various others that we see working for them in the movies then it's understandable. I'd hardly call it a Tatoonie civ though, since they aren't representive of all the people on Tatoonine.

Kryllith

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to one of Garry's pre-CC interviews (I think it was the one with GB.com, not sure) they were making a underworld/Hutt Cartel civ but got rid off it to make the expansion come out earlier (they didnt have time to balance and make more art for another civ). A lot of the Tatooine buildings and Hutt/badguy units that CC added were originally heros/units/buildings of that civ. So if they add a civ 10 to 1 this is it.

the idea of a hutt/tatoonie civ is kinda lame.

i dont really see any way to make a uniform civ from a group intergalactic gangsters....

i agree with everything CorranSec has said.

no lucas didn't make the vong........but a lot of great stuff has come from the books that is a lot better than some of the stuff lucas has made.

just because lucas didn't put his pen to it doesn't mean it isnt good sci fi.

its just a really really good idea for a CIV for any RTS game.

it just happens to be in a STAR WARS NOVEL.

you dont have to read the books to be a "REAL FAN"

but i really dont see how a fan could not want to expand what he knows and spend as much time in the star wars universe as possible.

everytime i watch the movies i want to know more about every place or charchter.........which lead me to read the books, games, support material.

that is just the way i see it.

fans feel they are "better" based on how much time they spend learning about something. which is a pretty valid claim.

With the Hutt/Tatoonie thing, i was actually refering to the 'Hutt Cartel'.

I really think they would make a very interesting (and unique) new civ for GB(2), and i also think that tatooine, which will be shown in 5 out of the 6 movies, should have a representative in a game such as GB(2).

Originally posted by angbandadmin

the idea of a hutt/tatoonie civ is kinda lame.

i dont really see any way to make a uniform civ from a group intergalactic gangsters....

Well I wouldn't know about that. Organized crime is known for having it's hands in all sorts of pies, both economically and militarily.

you dont have to read the books to be a "REAL FAN"

but i really dont see how a fan could not want to expand what he knows and spend as much time in the star wars universe as possible. Everytime i watch the movies i want to know more about every place or charchter.........which lead me to read the books, games, support material. That is just the way i see it. Fans feel they are "better" based on how much time they spend learning about something. which is a pretty valid claim.

And when Lucas writes more, I'll read it. If people want to write ABOUT the saga (ie make arguments about it based on the canon) then I'll happily read it. If people want to add to the saga... try adding to the canon, then I'm not interested. If all people want is non-lucas background material then why not make it up themselves? I'd be more inclined use my own second-hand ideas than that of another author. Besides, what's the point of said background material if it becomes nulled out decides to change something? It no longer becomes legit anyway... like Boba's background or Obi-wan and Lars's supposided kinship..

Kryllith

Originally posted by Kryllith

Well I wouldn't know about that. Organized crime is known for having it's hands in all sorts of pies, both economically and militarily.

Yes that is true but even the organize crime doesn't possess an army. They may control military but that is another military force then their little enforcers.

The Hutt Cartel, as such, is an inappropriate name and basis for a civ. Considering that the Hutt Cartel is made up of hundreds of clans, all with different interests in different planets and huge differences, it'd be much easier to focus on ONE major clan. The two that I can think of are Desiljic and Besadii, and because Besadii is the one Jabba is from (I think), I'll support that one.

It is true that single Hutts with interests in a single planet eg. Jabba on Tatooine would have no manner of standing army and/or base. But if we do consider a fully-fledged clan based on the Hutt home planet of Nal Hutta, it might be reasonable.

Arg, gotta go, be back later.

Corran - the Hutt homeplanet is NOT Nal Hutta.

I think a Hutt civ would be great. The buildings would be from tatooine, and there could be units such as the 'pig guards'. Also, this civ would be an excellent counter to the Republic, as they would be have the strongest bounty hunter's.

If you read the Han Solo trilogy (the one by Crispin) you'll find that Jabba's family lived on Nal Hutta. It was only when Jabba became the head of his family that he moved the operations exclusiovely to Tattoine. Now I know this doesn't fit in with the Phantom Menace, but they didn't say what he did in the past.

the second page of this thread wouldn't even be here if people didn't read the books/comics.

i'd say people who buy video games like SWGB, are also fans of the books in a huge precentage.

not explioting all the vast charchters and imagination laid down by all the great writers is a waste, in my opinion, if you are a BIG FAN, or a LITTLE FAN....or whatever you wanna call it.

:fett:

If people want to add to the saga... try adding to the canon, then I'm not interested. If all people want is non-lucas background material then why not make it up themselves? I'd be more inclined use my own second-hand ideas than that of another author. Besides, what's the point of said background material if it becomes nulled out decides to change something?

these people are accomplished sc-fi writers, not joe blow down the street who collects orange blister cards.

and yes lucas can change it in the movies, but honestly there is only maybe ever going to be 12 hours of film.....

after that.....why not flesh out the universe with people who know how to write good stuff.:bdroid2:

angbandadmin, I can't believe you think some of the EU is better than Lucas' stuff. That is just plain blasphemy.

My problem with EU is that it is too Sci-Fi-y. The beauty of the Star Wars Universe is that it's a mixture of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Swashbuckling Adventure, Westerns, Romance, Film Noir, and many others. I admit I haven't read any of the NJO, but from what I understand the Vong are a bit too much like the Borg from Star Trek or the Zerg from StarCraft. I could be wrong, I'm not sure. However, they are not aligned with Lucas' vision.

CorranSec, you keep saying movies alone are not enough to make a fun game, but you have no evidence whatsoever to support this. Star Wars is one of the only movie franchises to have an "EU" or something similar. Are you saying every other computer game based on a movie isn't a good game? Name one game that isn't Star Wars that feels the need to add enormous amounts of stuff from outside the movie to make it fun.

Basically, I agree 100% with every single statement Kryllith has said, since I've been out of the conversation for a while...

As for the Hutts, by nature they are devious and cunning, but also subtle and covertly powerful. An entire army just isn't in their nature.

Originally posted by angbandadmin

these people are accomplished sc-fi writers, not joe blow down the street who collects orange blister cards.

and yes lucas can change it in the movies, but honestly there is only maybe ever going to be 12 hours of film.....

after that.....why not flesh out the universe with people who know how to write good stuff.:bdroid2:

I don't need to write a novel to make up my own material for an rpg, or a game, or whatever. I did it for many years before people ever started writing books encompassing the various AD&D worlds. Besides, I'd be using MY ideas, not joe blow down the street's ideas...

Kryllith

Archived