Home

Dinosaurs. Warm or cold blooded?

TheWhiteRaider

If you think about it dinosaurs are not reptiles.......

The problem concerns with the metabolic rate in dinosaurs. It is claimed by the adherents of the dinosaurian warm-bloodedness that the dinosaurs had a high metabolic rate and therefore were very active - or vice versa. And as reptiles have low metabolic rate and therefore are slow and generally inactive, the dinosaurs were not reptiles, but something else, a class of their own.

so you really can't compare reptiles with dinosaurs.

thats like comparing a fish and a whale.

PEOPLE!!!!.......They were all cold blooded, all reptiles are cold blooded. Duh, about the them living in anarctica, it was a slush place at once, all the land you see now formed a huge Island called Pangea, (forgot how to spell it) And There were no Poles, the coldest places were not adaptable to Dinosaurs, That is why you see the different dinosaurs all over earth. They spead across that land. In time the tectonic plates shifted forming our contients today. They WERE cold blooded. Common Sense, can't give a full lesson about it. So think, and visit your library! :D

If dinosaurs were warm blooded then they could be in a phylum all of their own.

First. Dinosaur's have small holes inside the bones. Warm blooded animals have the same holes, but the hole could have come from bone decay as some say.

Second. The surface to mass ratio alone has a good part of the debate. It takes a snake an 0.5-2 hour(s) of sunning to get it to the right amount of heat. Now take a dinosaur like a T-Rex. That would take a long time to heat up with out help.

It is possible that some dinosaurs can be in their own phylum and they may not be reptile. We say they are lizards, but how can we realy tell? If they were alive today we could tell, but we can only guess from their bones.

The duck-billed Platipus is a not a bird and it lays eggs and it is warm blooded. We say it is a mammal yet it does not fit it all.

Originally posted by XylanKasshu00

Duh, about the them living in anarctica, it was a slush place at once, all the land you see now formed a huge Island called Pangea, (forgot how to spell it) And There were no Poles, the coldest places were not adaptable to Dinosaurs, That is why you see the different dinosaurs all over earth. They spead across that land. In time the tectonic plates shifted forming our contients today. :D

Though we do not know that it is still a good possibility. That could even fit with my faith.

(Dinosaur = terrible lizard; lizard = reptile)

What's in a name? The term Dinosaur was coined by scientists in 1841... and have you seen the earliest pictures of dinosaurs? Have you seen what they thought Iguanodon looked like the first time they decided to put its bones together? Not much like what paleontologists think it looked like now... it looked like, well, a lizard: huge head, big horn on its nose (which they later discovered belonged on its thumb), four legs on the ground splayed widely.

if they were warm blooded they would have survived

How do you figure? Crocodiles were around at the time of the dinosaurs, and they're still around today.

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Hehe, I'm impressed. We'll no there is not any real proof. But it should be common knowledge, no one in their right mind would say all warm blooded, but in the time of Pangea the equator and the warm climate around that were would have not been that great or a adaptable to warm blooded creatures. Now when the Ice Age....thats a different story, but you don't see any cold blooded animals running around then do you? Thats kind of why we have both today. This is theory, but the best and most logical theory today. Who know, maybe there were cold-blooded dinosaurs back then. :rolleyes:

You make a interesting debate Cjais. I'd have to look some more things up to get more people to agree with me, but school has me swamp, plus I'm lazy lol.

Archived