Home

Why do jedi attack at close range?

SE_Vader_536

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A-Wing is probably the best scouting unit, becuase normal scout and probe droid are land based (not sure about probe droid :confused: ) and suck at combat if the occasion calls for it.

Snowspeeders. They are probably among the most valuable of the Rebel's units as previosly said (among with mounted troopers and A-Wings). If they were to resort to mech destroyers, which are themselves mechs, they would get thier ass kicked. And most mechs don't have AA capabilities, so here again the Rebels have an advantage.

Jedi_Masta: Eh, that topic's pretty much over now. Currently I think we're talking about starfighters.

I really don't think the TIE Defender should have been the Imp advanced fighter in GB, and I hope it won't be included in GB2. In realism terms, it's just too amazingly good, and to include it as NOT amazingly good would make there no point for it to be a TIE defender in the first place.

Originally posted by CorranSec

(1)Jedi_Masta: Eh, that topic's pretty much over now. Currently I think we're talking about starfighters.

(2)I really don't think the TIE Defender should have been the Imp advanced fighter in GB, and I hope it won't be included in GB2. In realism terms, it's just too amazingly good, and to include it as NOT amazingly good would make there no point for it to be a TIE defender in the first place.

1-Exactly

2-I hope they out the Tie Defender in the toybox and replace it with the Tie Advanced(if there still is a fighter, a fast fighter and an adv fighter)

i dont like the idea of how the fighter, fast fighter, and adv fighter are in swgb. they are very unbalanced. for example: a tie defender is equal to an adv x-wing and is cheaper, an x-wing is equal to a tie interceptor but more expemsive. whats with that? why can they be made seperate. in fact you should be able to make all units seperate, and gain units automattically as you advance tech levels and the costs of the units should be different like a trooper recruit should not cost the same as a hvy trooper.

this could be a tech lvl 4 troop center:

trooper recruit: half normal price and production time

trooper: normal price and production time

hvy trooper: 1.5x normal price and production time

repeater trooper: 1.5x normal price and production time

grenade trooper: normal price and production time

mounter trooper: half normal price and production time

hvy mounted trooper: normal price and production time

adv mounted trooper: 2x normal price and production time

anti air trooper: normal price and production time

hvy anti air trooper: 2x normal price and production time

this way you dont lose your units which i really hate. although the new units are better than the units they upgrade from. i dont understand why they should cost the same and take the same time to make. shouldnt you be able to build a tie fighter, a tie interceptor, and a tie defender all at once?

note: tech lvl advancement would have to be MUCH more expensive.

If you're talking about GB2... hmmm. I doubt that all of the units you mentioned will be present. And I truly doubt that people would bother building the lowest-class troopers just because they cost less, when they could just build the best ones.

However, I can see how you might want something like the Heavy Trooper as well as something like the Repeater Trooper. I agree that they both have relative merits.

And I do agree about the air thing, as those three craft do have different purposes. Thus, for the Empire, the TIE fighter would serve as a Space Superiority fighter, the Interceptor could be a speedy fighter, and..... well, I think the TIE Defender is too good, but you could have the TIE Advanced or something.

look corren the lower levels like trooper, trooper recruit, mounted trooper, etc. are for when you dont have to time or recs for better units. like when your under attack (air) you could build tie interceptors because they can be built quickly and cheaply rather than tie X1s. get it?

But won't that just lead to either:

a) Battles of low-tech units when you can have high-tech battles

b) People building the low-tech units, but getting absolutely massacred by a few high-tech ones?

We shouldn't make a big change to the game just to cater for some people who don't have many resources in the late game.

And come on. If someone's in that bad of a situation, a few trooper recruits aren't going to do much anyway.

Exactly.

Imagine this:

You have some econ problems and you can only build trooper recruits(if we have what Vader was proposing). You build 1500 trooper recruits(allright impossible but you will understand). Your enemy comes up against you with his 8 AT-ATs. Now we have 1500 dead trooper recruits.

I tried such a battle with the scen edit. I didn't even lose a single AT-AT...

mechs....maybe...for strike mechs maybe since some regular strike mechs are still useful in late tech4.maybe not mech destroyers but assault mechs will be rather stupid...there isn't a lot of differences between an assault mech and an hvy assault mech. And besides we don't know if we are gonna have these classes or just an AT-AT, a MTT, etc...

About aircraft...seems also pretty useless...just like troopers....

maybe not for other civs no but for empire its very logical because they have cheap fighters AND expensive fighters. cheap fighters swarm and overwhelm. expensive fighters are good for dogfights. See what i mean?

if this wasnt effective why would the REAL empire use trooper AND hvy troopers AND rptr troopers?

Sure. The empire will swarm fighters. Thus, the Empire's fighters cost less and have a quicker build time.

Each of the fighters you mentioned will have their own individual role, thus they should indeed be able to be built separately. The troopers, however, are all the same.

The only thing that I will concede is that you might sometimes want a kind of "Repeater Trooper" (very fast fire rate, medium damage) as well as a "Heavy Trooper" of some kind (slower fire rate but higher damage). These different kinds may appeal to different playing styles and fit more with the civ, thus they should be included.

But everything else- no.

I agree that especially with air we should have a wider variety of units by not getting rid of lower-level units. However, they should be a fair bit different than they are now.

The Empire is the only civ with two cannon air units as different versions of the same basic unit. I refer to TIE Fighter as Fighter and TIE Interceptor as Fast Fighter. It would be nice to have access to both of these fighters later in the game, but only if they are more true to form. Then again, I would like all air units to be made more true to form (an N1 should be able to easily take out a Droideka a la Anakin Skywalker). Fighters should be pretty cheap, with a decent speed (faster than any ground units at least...) while Fast Fighters should be... well... faster, and possibly a little weaker. The fast fighter for the Rebels would be the A-Wing.

I'm not really a fan of the whole "research a replacement for this unit" idea. It would be better if you could research standard troopers from the start, but as you progress heavy troopers and repeater troopers also become available in addition to your standard trooper. If it was feasible for an entire army to have repeater canons, we probably would have seen it in a movie...

I think that with air, it's a bit of a different situation to simply not getting rid of lower-level units.

This is because if you take a typical list of Empire units- TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE advanced, Assault Gunboat for example- they all have different purposes. Thus, they should all be available for use.

I was thinking of something quite like what you just mentioned, Vostok- having normal Space Superiority fighters AND speedy fighters, as well as a few others. I had a full list somewhere on these forums, but it's probably gone by now.

The TIE advanced is too powerful to be the typical, first-available space superiority fighter. It's more like an upgraded version you might receive further on in the game. But I don't think there really should be upgraded versions, just research.. and there's nothing really to fit the stats of the TIE advanced in other civs, so we might just put it in the editor or something.

About the assault gunboat- you're exactly right. It's the Imperial anti-cap-ship fighter.

And I did propose the Interceptor to be the 'speedy fighter' for the Imps, just as the A-Wing would be the speedy fighter for the Rebels.

Archived