Home

step height

wedge2211

OK, I know its bad to repost, but I posted in a bad place :(

Here is what I've found and I strongly encourage feedback.

I spent a lot of time on this and do not wish to redo it so I'd really like someone to confirm this data...thanks.

Kyle's height (normal walking) is 65, although if you use 1/4 units he can fit in a 64.25 high opening as well.

Width is 33, or 32.25 using 1/4 units. I don't recommend using less than 33 here as he snags a lot trying to get through, but can do it. Width is side-to-side as well as forward-back and is changeable in SP with a script (although I have not tried this yet).

Crouched he is 41 high, 40.25 with 1/4 units.

If one assumes he is 6 feet tall, real world inches times 0.9 should give you game units. But keep in mind his is kind of round as people go (45 inches across). I am not certain that height and width are the same ratio in the game.

If one assumes 1 inch to one game unit the world will only be 10% bigger than it should be and that's not bad for simpler math. Also makes it a bit easier for Kyle to move around in.

Most of the rest of this is probably available in Q3 tutorials. I did not use any 1/4 units after measuring Kyle.

Highest step he can walk up without jumping is 18.

Highest he can jump without force power is 49.

With Force Jump 1 he can jump 113 sometimes, but 112 is more consistant. No where near the 3 times normal (147) advertized.

With Force Jump 2 he can jump 209 sometimes, but 208 is safer.

No where near 6 times (294).

With Force Jump 3 he can jump 401, but 400 is safer. Not even close to 12 times (588)

Ramps:

I built ramps 1000 units long at 0 height on one end and varying on the other (triangles). Greater lengths would give more refined numbers, but this is what I have. The ramps had no shaders to affect slickness.

Kyle can ascend or stand on ramps up to 1020 vertical for 1000 horizontal (1.02% slope if 1% is 45 degrees and 0% is flat ground) Anything 1.021% or steeper and he slides to the bottom.

He can climb MUCH steeper surfaces however. He can stand or stop on a step only 1 unit deep. So he can climb steps 18 units high and 1 unit deep (which looks VERY steep -- 18%) without any force power or even jumping.

I've also found that if you put him in a 'tight' tunnel, one that is just big enough for him to fit, it must remain horizontal. If it has an incline you must account for the 3 dimentional size of Kyle and not just his height. The amount of extra headroom needed depends on how steep your tunnel is.

As in all scientific endeavors, feel free to verify my results. I would like to know if someone else got different numbers.

Archived