Is Guybrush a Kid?

Is Guybrush a Kid?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is Guybrush a Kid?

• Yes
    • No
    • I dunno/don't care
    • The ending is supposed to leave you hanging

(I originally posted this in another discussion, but it fits better here)

I don't know why it bothers people if Guybrush dreams up MI1 and 2. It doesn't bother people (that I know of) that Dorothy was dreaming Wizard of Oz. Or even more so, it doesn't bother people when movies are books read to someone else. It's fine that "The Princess Bride" is being read to a little boy.

Little Guybrush goes through MI1 and 2 much like Calvin as Spaceman Spiff, but what happens to this pirate he created? He needs more adventures! Maybe "real" Guybrush (as he grows up) writes this big chronicle of Monkey Island based off his Big Whoop adventure. This is why CMI and EMI don't fit with the whole "Guybrush is a kid" thing. It's something that "real" Guybrush writes. (actuall, it's because Ron Gilbert wasn't consulted)

This theory could possibly help get rid of any frustrations Monkey fans may have thinking about Guybrush as a kid. This works also for the brilliant ending of MI2 where he comes back to reality. You could say he comes back to reality to write his story where he explains that he was tricked into being a kid. Crazy? Yes. I know.

I suppose my point (if I have any) is that the first two can be viewed as the dream that leads up to the campaigns of Guybrush in the 3rd, 4th, and future game(s) written by the "real" Guybrush after he grew up.

Therefore, it's hard to vote here, because you could say "Yes, he is a kid" but in the stories that the "kid" version of Gbrush made, he is not. So, in the whole Monkey Island world, no he's not a kid.

OK, that was just a random theory I came up with and I know it's way off. I'd love to find out someday how off I really am. lol

...I went back to look at a SCUMM chat with Ron Gilbert, and he said about various theories proposed to him (including the kid theory)

cold, cold, and cold. One is closer than the others, but not much.

Though he does say that lots of the running jokes throughout the games seem less silly if you realize the secret. This could mean the t-shirts, and the e-ticket being Big Whoop. But he also says that the idea of Big Whoop wasn't really meant to go anywhere (hence the name Big Whoop)

He also says about LeChuck that

In one sense, yes they are brothers, in another way, they are not. If you get what I mean.

I really wish he would make the next MI game and spill all the secrets there. I don't care if he does it without lucasarts, (imagine: no starwars, Indy, or Sam'n'Max references. That actually doesn't sound *too* bad) though it's improbable that they'd want to give him the rights even though he came up with the whole series in the first place.

*sigh*

Well, I suppose that was the original idea, but stories develop and change as it goes on. Example: I would imagine that in "The Mummy" films (with Brenden Frasier), Evy (Rachel Weisz) wasn't thought of as a reincarnated princess, but as the story goes on, it is brought up, and thus becomes a part of the saga.

Though with the Mummy, they have the same writer/director. But I can imagine how it can work MI as well. The first two, perhaps were originally viewed as a "dream," but as sequels are made, the stores kind of change and become accepted (though not by all)

Or Darth Vader. In the original StarWars, we know Darth Vader as the man who killed Luke's father. In "Empire" we find out he's the father. The story in the viewers' minds is shifted. Like in Monkey Island. In the first games, we are certain that Guybrush dreams it all. Then comes the sequel: in CMI we "find out" he was cursed.

When it comes right down to it, I don't mind either way. I'll buy Monkey5 when it comes out. I'll buy more Monkey Island products if they come out.

actually, ron ahd this idea about guybrush ebing a kid before mi2. he had originally intended monkey island to be one game but it was too big and would have required a lot of floppies so instead he made them into two games but always intended for guybrush to wake up and it all be a dream (and wouldn't have been as much annoying if it were one game because we don't leave the first game thinking it was real in this world, if you get what i mean)

also, the whole story of star wars was written when lucas was still in school and so even before making 'a new hope' he knew that darth was lukes father and even knew the first three episodes.

but i think your right about the mummy, that was never intended for a sequel until they got the success of the first one. although saying that, the matrix was always meant to be a 3 parter, they just didn't talk about it because they didn't know how well the first one would do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived