Home

Smoky Ceiling?

DISorder

Is there anyway I could modify a fog shader (or make a new one) to make a smoke-like effect?

The reason being, I would like to (if possible, and not too fps constraining) put some smoke (like cigar smoke that collects while playing poker w/ the guys or something)at the ceiling of my bar, just to give it more of a 'grungy' type look...

I suspect this wont be possible, but I thought i'd ask the people most likely to know :-D

Thanks,

DISorder

What do you mean "smoke-like effect?" If you mean grayish fog, you could just use ShaderEd to make fog that's the right color and apply it to the cieling. If you mean tendrils and wisps of smoke floating around, you could try using one of the smoky fx_runners, and point it down or sideways...or even combine the two! I don't know how it will affect FPS, try a couple versions and see.

I think water shaders make the water effect by superimposing the same texture (some ripples/waves) on itself, and moving the two 'slides' around (like drawing some ripples on two sheets of glass and then sliding them around on top of one another). I wonder if a water shader could be re-coded such that it achieves that effect with a smoky texture that you draw, but things like water noise and visual distortions are removed?

Originally posted by DISorder

Is there anyway I could modify a fog shader (or make a new one) to make a smoke-like effect?

The reason being, I would like to (if possible, and not too fps constraining) put some smoke (like cigar smoke that collects while playing poker w/ the guys or something)at the ceiling of my bar, just to give it more of a 'grungy' type look...

You could also just try to put regular fog on the ceiling to see how it would look (and if it would work for you). No point in doing anything that requires extra work if you don't need to.

Archived