Home

What about Zimbabwe?

BCanr2d2

Why are the atrocities in this country being ignored by most of the world? Why are governments and sporting bodies allowing games of World Cup cricket to be played in this country. Does it not in some way show support of Robert Mugabe and his destruction of Zimbabwe.

White farmers removed from their land, which is given to supposed war veterans. Most of the country starving, as the farms which used to provide the country with food are now no longer producing crops to feed people, after they were "repossesed". Anyone who opposes Mugabe is given little, or no food in the now ritual line ups for food.....

We worry about North Korea and Iraq, ONLY because they seem a threat to the US. Where is the UN on this issue, don't they care? At least the Commonwealth has suspended them...

Edit - I use WE as a term for the rest of the world, that the US seems to permeate the media, leaving other issues not involving them seem not as important or newsworthy stories...

I know a guy (white) from Zimbabwe who's family lives 15 minutes away from a white farmer who was killed. I even saw it on the news.

The thing is, its not all balck people. They have a lot of black friends.

He says its Mugabe doing anything to stay in power.

Suspending him from the Commonwealth was playing into his hands since thats exactly what he wants. He doesn't like Britain or anything white.

You see, when a rich white man first came to Zimbabwe the Zimbabwian chief in charge of the land was very nice and trusting. The rich white man made him sign a contract and since the chief couldn't understand English he got the rich white man to describe what the contract was all about. The white rich man lied to the chief and the chief signed the contract. Since the chief signed the contract Britain would be on the side of the white man since the chief had signed it even though the white man lied about what he was signing.

It basically made the white guy in charge of Zimbabwe. And this is where I believe Mugabe's hatred lies. He doesn't like whites. So being suspended is like a birthday present for him.

but it is sad how there is so much frustration there.

And Australia doesn't even give white farmers the chance to come here as refugees. :( They may only immigrate if they have a certain amount of cash. This sux. We let everyone else in why not Zimbabwians? [/annoyed]

For anyone who spends more than a few minutes a day reading up on world events other-than-Iraq/Korea, it's easy to see that there are many, many human rights violations occurring throughout the planet as we converse here in this forum.

I recently watched coverage of the Anit-war rallies that took place across the United States and one reporter was able to video two women having a discussion on the subject. One was an anit-war protester, the other was an anti-anti-war protestor. The pro-war lady's only argument for going to war was that the people of Iraq need our help. Certainly there are other arguments, but this was her only one caught on tape.

I couldn't help but wonder what the repressed, brutalized, butchered, and starving people (who are probably beyond despair) would think. Perhaps they would think, "fine... the U.S. is going to save us next!" Or perhaps it would have been, "why not us first?"

I'm glad, however, that these people probably did not see this newscast (it was a local station).... I have a feeling we're not coming.

SKinWalker

I think I could've named mnay countries instead of Zimababwe that have the same kind of problems, that the world appears to ignore.

My main point here is that no one has had the balls to actually say "We will not play due to Mugabe and his policies, we don't want to be seen supporting him". Instead it's security, and the other govt's involved do not want to tread on anyones feet by saying it.

I am pretty sure the amount of money spent on the military build up in the Middle East could've been used to help and help third world countries to try and reduce the AIDS epidemic that is ravaging the continent.

My main point here is that no one has had the balls to actually say "We will not play due to Mugabe and his policies, we don't want to be seen supporting him". Instead it's security, and the other govt's involved do not want to tread on anyones feet by saying it.

Are you talking about the cricket world cup?

It is interesting however, how destroying a minority can destroy a country. There are millions starving in Zimbabwe now, because black people have taken over white farmers land and aren't using it for farming. Of course, everyone turns a blind eye. I guess its nothing to do with weapons of mass destruction, but millions are suffering none the less.

I did notice that at least two umpires have refused to participate in the Cup in both Zimbabwe and Kenya, citing security and moral issues as the reason. I think it's clear that there are those that want to do something to help the millions who are suffering in Zimbabwe but are unclear on what they can do.

I'm not sure that boycotting cricket would do the trick, but people have to do what their consciences tell them is right.

I think that military intervention definately would not help the situation.... what the people clearly need is economic stability. The resources exist, but Mugabe's push to redistribute the wealth of his nation is interfering. Perhaps his witholding of food-aid as well.

I would say that there is a lot more than just "land-grabbing" going on. It's part power play, but its part justice from the perspective of Mugabe and his followers. I'm not sure how, after so many years of Independence, Zimbabwe could fairly redistribute the land that was controlled by a white minority. And I don't think that any redistribution scheme would be painless.

The people of Zimbabwe are certainly suffering as food production is down and jobs are lost. Though the white minority "owned" the land, they employed tens of thousands of blacks. The blacks that are assuming control of the lands don't have the years of experience at land/business/farm management, which is severely hurting production.

There's no easy or quick answer with a peripheral country like Zimbabwe. Citizens will need higher education, technical skills, and working capital. These are resources that take time to develop.

Now... how world leaders can just sit by and watch attrocities such as the genocide of Tutsi in Rwanda back in 1994 is beyond me. The recent (August I think) arrest of General Augustin Bizimungu is a step in the right direction, but it's way late.

SkinWalker

BTW, the price of just one Tomahawk Missile (approx. $600,000) could fund a program for 30 at-risk juveniles designed to keep them off of the street and in school for a year.

Archived