Home

model workflow help

Psynex

I'm nearing the end of the mesh and want to know what steps modellers take after they've finished the mesh. I followed Appleby's tut for my first model and only ended up making a big mess. I'm thinking I should segment and cap as step 2, then unwrap the entire model, then set up the heirarchy, then rig it. Or would it be easier to unwrap and skin the mesh as a whole, then segment and cap it, remap the unmapped caps, then follow through with the rest of the setup?

When I followed the included character modelling doc I ended up having a seperate UV map for each segment. How would I do all this so that I have one map for the characters head, and one for the body?

I guess you could do it many ways, but this is the way I do it:

Model (finish the mesh)

Segment/Cap

Import/align Tags

Weighing

Hierarchy

UWVMapping

LODS

I personally leave the mapping to the very end. I try to play around with the model in modview and ingame to check the wieghing and mesh before I get into mapping since I tend to tweak the mesh to better fit the weighing and animations, and this usually messes up the mapping. But you can do it in many different orders. As for leaving the linking as the last (for xform reasons) I don't really follow this as you can unlink the specified problem part fro the hierercy view, apply an xform modifier and re-link it without suffering the consequences.

I agree with ksk on the fact that saving the UVmapping is better in the long run; this way you can edit the mesh without having to worry how it will affect the mapping. I know all too well the pains of UVmap tweaking after I've done no more then turn an edge here and move a vert there.

From that I'm thinking I should work like this:

1 model

2 import skeleton/weight/manually test deformations*

3 segment/cap/tag/hierarchy (in other words - RIG)

4 export/test

5 tweak mesh deforms

6 UVW map/skin

*by manually rotating bones in the general movements used in JK2 you can rectify any major problems without going through the hastle of constant game/modelling switching.

Archived