Home

Mapping Recommendations

adillon

as a soon-to-be registered architect, i am familiar with computer modeling software (and use it on a daily basis). as a JK2 (and star wars) enthusiast, i want to get into map making for the game and give something back to this community.

however, i don't know exactly which software i should use ... jk2radiant or gtkradiant? i've seen jk2radiant available from the raven software website (aming other places), but at the qeradiant website it refers me to gtkradiant to make maps for JK2. i read posts where people use jk2radiant, and others use gtkradiant.

are there differences between the two? are they essentially the same thing? is one more stable than the other? is one more 'user friendly' than the other?

I have not used jk2radient so I am not aware if it has any plugins.

GTKRadient comes with everything you need. The Plugins are included.

There's stuff like bob toolz, which has a handy feature for removing duplicate brushes (a brush is the basic building block for making maps)

Have fun mapping. I know I can loose myself for hours in it.

:cool:

GtkRadiant is basically a souped-up JK2Radiant...I think there are only one or two minor features JK2R has that GtkR doesn't, and you have to go a couple layers deep to get to those in JK2R anyways. Gtk is generally more stable, implements the superior q3map2 compiler, has severeal useful pulgins included, and has more in-editor display options. Both use the same basic interface, so learning one is essentially the same as learning the other. Another major advantage of GtkR is the fact that updated versions are released on a regular basis. Most people will recommend that you download GtkRadiant 1.2.11.

Archived