Home

America Strikes Again

Clem

percision guided bombs and gps bombs are totally different

That is incorrect. GPS bombs fall under the category of Precision guided bombs. They are not two different things.

"Precision guided" is a term for all the different kinds of techniques used to guide the bombs. Precision guided bombs are: bombs that are guided by lasers, radar, satellites (GPS) or video cameras. That's what Pentagon officials have said.

And some people have mentioned the so called jamming equipment of Iraq as a possible excuse for the misfires. But I don't think we should really consider that, because of this:

"The Iraqi regime apparently has tried to acquire equipment to try to jam the satellites that guide the JDAMs, U.S. officials say. But Maj. Gen. Stanley McChrystal said Monday the devices don't work well and are not considered a threat."

sources=

- http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/special/iraq/1834769

- http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/guidebomb011009.html

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive been at work (at a company that makes helicopters :D ) so i dont know whats happened today

the british plane was doing everything right ... it is an automated system but someone should have overridden it! ... also if u read the thread outcast we have long since left this incedent behind

on the subject of GPS bombs ... if u suspect the iraqis can jam them

DONT DROP THEM!!

ok point 1 percent inncauracy that means 1 in a thousand

how many u sent in? ... hundreds ... so 1 coulda missed

I'm just wondering how daringdueler came up with the .1 failure rate of GPS guided bombs. I'm just curious, because I couldn't find it anywhere and I'm really interested since I'm actually using the successes and failures of precision guided bombs from 1991 to 2000 for a concept for school (and I need actualy stats for it :( ).

I've looked everywhere, and this article was the closest I got: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-102401mistake.story called 'High-Tech U.S. Bombs Are Precise but Not Perfect' with the last sentence being:

"In the real world, this stuff (referring to GPS guided bombs - Zod) works fairly well most of the time, but not perfectly well all of the time," said John Pike, a defense analyst with GlobalSecurity.org, a research organization in Virginia."

The article explains how Laser-guided bombs are actually more precise than GPS guided bombs if Laser-guided-bombs are launched in the best conditions (clear weather, flying at 500mph and at low to medium altitude). It also explains how easily Laser-guided-bombs can misfire if the conditions aren't perfect. And in most scenarios, the conditions aren't perfect at all, resulting in dramatic misfire-ratios seen throughout the last decade.

Now the newer GPS-guided bombs are more reliable than the laser guided ones, but it's still not known how high its failure rate is. I hope for the best, but if an expert says they work fairly well most of the time, then I'm a bit pessimistic towards the .1 failure rate..

i said about .1 ofcourse its gonna be abit higher but my point was, there is hardly any, although i do think i heard on the histiry channel, maybe madern marvels that it was somthin like that, if youd like i will look, becuase i debate in school too and i wouldnt mind knowing axact, and just to add, gps guided missels hit within 1 meter of the intented area, pretty damn good eh?

It only takes one of those six to destroy an apartment building with several families. Still, they're a better idea than unguided artillery that relies on an artilleryman's math skills.

I mention it only because even the smallest chance of error becomes important when you start fighting in a densly populated urban environment such as Bagdad.

im not sure who said it

but the kids of the people u kill ... are gonna hate u and us and the world

they are gonna become terrorists most likely ... this ... this is y we have to be VERY careful

1 bomb going wrong can easily kill a hundred people

thats alot more terrorists out there

think about it

and ive mentioned my view on the news and the media in general ... both sides of the atlantic ... and around the world

No... we'll be launching them from shoulder-fired weapons and mortars. There may need to be air support called in as well for pinned down troops. Definately artillery will be called in for enemy mortar, machine-gun and RPG positions.

If you think the ground troops will go in with just M-16s and SAWs, better think again.

Throughout history, battles for cities have been the most costly in lives: friendly, enemy AND collateral. Most successful city objectives result in the leveling of the city itself.

It will have to be done... I don't see any way around it if we are to achieve our objectives, but it won't be nice, clean or pretty.

Archived