Home

SCUMM vs Graphics

TheGovernor

Hi,

I may be wrong but wasn't CMI made using SCUMM? Yet it used far superior graphics to MI1 and MI2. Well why can't LucasArts for Monkey 5 give us a real treat and use the SCUMM interface with fabulous new character models and backdrops?

THE GOVERNOR

• 4 weeks later...

SCUMM is used to make things happen in the games; otherwise we'd just be looking at a still image. They turned to LUA and GRIMe to make the same thing happen in a 3D environment. But graphics are graphics, they developed a way to have more pixels in a game, which is how we got CMI graphics and they also incorporated the CYST engine in SCUMM for character animation.

Really, for MI5, I would like them to use the Scumm engine, but they haven't since CMI and I don't think they'd go back. This has nothing to do with what graphics I would like as they could use a rewritten version of the SCUMM engine with 3D characters if they wanted (just against a 2D backdrop, it could work), think Discworld Noir.

But yes, I would also like 2D graphics, not that it's going to happen without a lot of persuasion, but hey, a guy can dream.

Archived