• Created
  • Last Reply

fanboys

saber noobies

idiots

morons

cry babies

noobs

Several four letter words that would be censored out due to the forum language filters work quite well also.

And yeah the RPG term should not be used.

It’s unfair to guys like Ronin_Medjai who RPG that have a very mature and sensible outlook on gaming.

See, here's the thing about a personal code of honor that I think a lot of people don't understand: IT'S PERSONAL. That means it's the way YOU choose to live YOUR life or the way YOU choose to play the game. It does NOT mean that you get to dictate how everyone ELSE plays.

Look, I used to bitch about the way people would play BF1942. I'd hop on to an EA public server, and witness people spawn camping. I tend to be against this tactic, as I view it as no better than shooting fish in a barrel. I tend to think this is an "hono(u)rless" tactic and that it's bad sportsmanship, as well as dangerous to your own team at certain points of the game. But that's just my opinion. I regularly play on a server that doesn't permit this tactic. I've found a group of people who share my attitudes and I find that I have a hell of a lot more fun playing with these folks than playing on public servers. That said, when I go to a public server, I accept that not everyone shares my opinion. Once in a while, if I'm getting pissed, I'll say something about spawn camping being lame and/or pointless, but most of the time, if it gets bad, I'll just quit and go to a different server, or wait for the map to end.

You can apply this same mentality to JO. When I saw people spamming the backstab in 1.03, I felt it was no better than spawn camping. It was a cheap trick to rack up kills without actually demonstrating any skill. That was my attitude, and I avoided doing the backstab because of it (except in situations where it was warranted -- IE: someone attacked me from behind). But some of this honor stuff goes too far. The sabre off = peace thing, the fact that you have to bow, etc., etc., all these things seem to indicate that people are basically complaining that "I wasn't ready." Well, if you weren't ready, don't enter the duel. Simple as that. When you decide to challenge me or come after me, be ready. I don't mind bowing, but I also don't mind if someone challenges me, then immediately begins attacking me. It's part of the game, unless the server explicitly requires you to bow first.

You know, I may have to reinstall JO and hop on a few servers just to see what the hell is going on with all this. I haven't seen a lot of this stuff in action (IE: the emote-fests, people standing around in an FFA server watching a duel and refusing to fight, etc.). I'm curious as to why people are playing this way too, and maybe I'll just go and ask 'em. Then again, asking questions may be a breach of the honor code.

Oh, one other thing. I came up with a good name for the people who try to force their style of play on others on a server that EXPLICITLY states different rules: jackasses.

true very much solo

my opinion is that a game is really fun if you feel like you're in the places it depicts and it feels like you're doing what the game depicts.

BF1942 is a classic example, ive always wanted to know what it was like fighting in ww2, BF is a far cry i know, but its getting close. Stuff like spawn camping is not 'ww2' so where i play, nobody does it, they're in for the experience of the game, not sheer number of kills.

Same goes for jk2, i dont give a rats furry behind weather i win or loose, as long as i had fun playing the game, and if some small 'RPG' elements make it more fun, then so be it.

Bowing and stuff goes too far, but i think the sabre off = no attack is okay, same goes for the floaty chatbox thingy. Its not fun if you're typing a message or changing keys and someone just blitzes past and kills you with no hope of defending yourself

As Solo said in his most recent post, we all have different ideas about honour. I have my own, and it applies only to me and my clan. I may think many things are dishonourable, but do I whine about them? Never. Only fanboys whine.

Originally posted by Solo4114:

Oh, one other thing. I came up with a good name for the people who try to force their style of play on others on a server that EXPLICITLY states different rules: jackasses.

I feel that's the definition of a "fanboy" myself. Sue me, I'm in love with the word.

Originally posted by Matariel:

Its not fun if you're typing a message or changing keys and someone just blitzes past and kills you with no hope of defending yourself

Sure, it may not be fun for you. But unless it's against the server's rules as SPECIFICALLY set out in their welcome message or network website, please refrain from complaining about it.

Originally posted by Spider AL

I feel that's the definition of a "fanboy" myself. Sue me, I'm in love with the word.

Yeah, so we've noticed. ;)

Actually, I don't even mind the occasional complaint, but when someone just starts typing over and over again about it, that gets annoying. Then again, while they're typing, you can always kill 'em... :dev7:

Matariel,

I generally agree with your style of play, but I think we can both agree that forcing that style on someone when there are no server rules outlining it, would be a bad thing.

Anyway, something else I was considering: public, un-admined servers with voting enabled. I was trying to decide what's the most acceptable behavior in that kind of environment, and I think that it's pretty much anything goes. As far as voting people off goes, as a personal matter, I'd vote off people who were actually ruining the game for everyone, but that would include those who keep whining about honor as much as those who cheat or take advantage of an exploit. It's a tough call, though. On the one hand, you shouldn't go voting people off for petty stuff (IE: He keeps using the Golan!! That sUx0rz!!), but on the other, if the vast majority of the server is tired of the person's behavior... I dunno. I wish there was some way to require that, say, 75% of the people vote a person off before they get kicked. I suppose if you're worried about being voted off, you should check whether voting is enabled or not. I think there are filters for this in All Seeing Eye, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Regardless, voting enabled public no-holds-barred servers can present a real problem.

Sure, it may not be fun for you. But unless it's against the server's rules as SPECIFICALLY set out in their welcome message or network website, please refrain from complaining about it.

This is just mean, doing things that will clearly diminish the enjoyment of the game for other players. Even in servers with no set out rules, there should be a certain amount of decorum...leaving a typing player alone for one, its just fairness. 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you' :)

And solo, i would never 'force' my way of playing onto other people, i would simply say, 'this is not my way of playing' and change servers to one thats more my style. If im admin of a server, like at a lan or even on the internet, i would enforce my server rules and i have every right to do so.

That said- If someone is being a 'llama', i wouldnt kick them immediately, id tell them to stop whatever they are doing wrong, and leave it at that. If they keep doing it, kick. Thats fair isnt it? I usually give 3 warnings then kick, even the stupidest of player should recognise when to stop after 3 warnings. Also, this works both ways, if an 'RPG' player is playing on a no-holds-barred server and is not complying to the rules, they should also be warned..providing you can get a word in edgeways between "lamer" and "cheat" and "you have no honour!"

I should hope that if any of you guys are told by an admin not to do something on their server, you listen to them, rather than get pissed off that you got kicked, after being warned.

Dont get me wrong, i like a mass murder kinda game, but not often in jk2. So i'll join the server that has the gameplay that i wanna play, you guys should do the same. If you dont like the server, change, dont piss people off by staying and going against the grain.

*these kindly words of wisdom have been brought to you by WORDMONKEY, the wordiest monkey around*

Please, if anyone gets the "wordiest monkey around" award, it should be me. You should see some of my posts in other threads. Someone said I'd give Dostoevsky a coronary. :)

Anyway, if you're the admin, you can do whatever the hell you want, and there's not a damn thing anyone else can do about it. I'd hope that admins are fair and polite, the same way I'd hope that ANYONE is fair and polite in general, but an admin owes the players on their server not a damn thing. The admins make the server available so that people can play on it, and the players owe the admins thanks as a result. If they can't play by the rules, screw 'em. But as an admin, you can kick someone because you don't like the color of their sabre. It's your server, and you can run it any way you like, even if that means that you act as a petty dictator. I wouldnt' want to play on a server like that, but the admin can run it however he or she sees fit.

If any "honourable" Jedi's are out there, please post something! Please enlighten us on how this game obviously is meant to be played. Preach your Code! Save us from our dishonourzable cheap-ass selves!

I wouldn't call it honour... I find it more common courtesy. It's like, someone walking up to you and saying hi and you just walking off... kinda rude dontcha think? The excuse 'It's just a game' is getting old... it maybe just a game, but there are real people playing it. Keep that in mind.

I am an admin on the [OoS] server and if someone doesn't bow, I don't punish them for it as long as they aren't attacking the other person during theirs. Pushing someone to do something they don't want to do is MUCH worse then not bowing.

Originally posted by Matariel:

This is just mean, doing things that will clearly diminish the enjoyment of the game for other players. Even in servers with no set out rules, there should be a certain amount of decorum...leaving a typing player alone for one, its just fairness. 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'

Listen mate, the question is "where do you draw the line"? I draw the line at official server rules. If a server has rules, I abide by them. If it has no rules, the game on that server has no rules. While I may have my own ideas of what's honourable and what's not, I never complain if someone else doesn't abide by my personal code of honour, and that INCLUDES getting shot while I'm typing. I never, EVER complain about it.

It's MY choice and the choice of my clan not to shoot people while they're typing. I NEVER force MY personal choice onto other players. To force my choice onto others by word, deed or whining, is the very DEFINITION of dishonour.

As for "mean", why is it mean? Who says it's mean? Just because you think it is, doesn't make it so. Just because a large group of people think it is, doesn't make it so. It's high time people got some tolerance for others online, including those with different ideas of how to play the game. Frankly, stop trying to make out that your way is the right way, or the only honourable way.

As for "diminishing the enjoyment of others", losing diminishes the enjoyment of many players. Does that mean I should stop beating them? NO. It's high time people stopped expecting nothing but fun from a game they're playing. No game has ever provided 100% fun. There's always loss, boredom and annoyance to be had from a game. That's just reality.

That's just it. There is no universal code. There's only your own PERSONAL code. Spider Al gave us a perfect demonstration there. He and his clan choose not to attack people while the typing icon is above their heads. That's their PERSONAL choice and their PERSONAL code of hono(u)r.

As far as the typing kill goes, if you're willing to type in the midst of a battle, you're taking a conscious risk that someone will attack you.

As far as the complaining goes, I don't really mind it up to a point. If someone throws in the occasional "Nice typekill" comment or "Got any other moves besides kick/backstab/whatever??" it doesn't bother me. I accept a certain amount of trash talking on a public server and will engage in it myself sometimes, especially if I get the sense that my opponent is getting riled by it. I like to think of it as psychological warfare. :) But 1.) if I'm typing and get killed, I won't really complain since it's my own damn fault for leaving myself open to attack and 2.) I won't go on endlessly about how someone has no honor because they didn't bow or whatever. There's a fine line between trash talking and whining and you really shouldn't be whining on a server with no rules. At least you shouldn't whine about the rules (or lack thereof) themselves. You can whine about the weather, America's foreign policy, Catherine Zeta-Jones' fashion sense or whatever you want. I'll just kill you while you're busy typing about it. :)

I love this thread. I really hate the dumb rules that Jk2 players create. I usually don't kill people with their saber down, because everyone gets pissed at me and i get banned seconds later, but I never bow though, thats just gay.

The thing I hate about JK2 is how everyone gets pissed off so easily. This has happened to me about a million times where i kill someone with their saber down ONCE, sometimes even by accident, and they are pissed at me all day for it. From then on all they do is try to hunt me down to avenge their own ****ing death or something.

And I REALLY hate it when people give me **** about "honor". It may be a Star Wars game so the nerds want to pretend they're a jedi or something, but this is a first person shooter, not an RPG.

Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed

\bind H say A/S/L?

Padawan: 16/M/NY

Padawan: You?

“Padawan was sabered by shock ~ unnamed”

Try it, works great.

The ol' hp question never fails, either.

Oh, and Dooglus, please read through this entire thread before making such a blatantly ignorant comment please? Thanks.

I've already had to ask a few people on that one. We've already settled the "RP question." Time to move on people.

Now, where did we leave off...

Oh, yes. Personal codes of honor. Basically, I have none. My bow is a one gun salute, my opening is an aerial strong overhead down the middle (kills in one hit, if you do it right. I've ended some duels just as they start with it). I only follow the rules of the server, and if it is a server where anything goes, you better bet your ass that I'm going to go all out.

In conclusion: psychological warfare is teh win (misspelling is intentional).

Archived