Home

Whcih is the best modling program to choose?

DLK_Sephiroth

Like boinga said, depends on what you want to do...

Player models: 3D Studio Max 4.x (if you want to do the rigging yourself) nothing else, you hear me? nothing else!!! ;).

Weapons:3D Studio Max, Gmax, Milkshape, Cinema4D, lightwave, Maya, Softimage XSI (anything that can export to .md3 i guess)

Sure there are free programs, the problem is that only 3D studio max 4.x will allow you to complete a character from beginning to end:

Modelling

UVW Mapping

Rigging

Exporting

If you use Gmax for example (that's what i recommend because it's a bit more powerful than Milkshape 3D) You wont be able to do the rigging and exporting part.

The reason: You need a .XSI plugin (softimage 3.0) to export your rigged character and then compile that .xsi with carcass/assimilate.

Other software might be able to export to .XSI but you need some kind of skin modifier like 3D max to correctly setup a character.

Get G-max here and yes it is free.

Yeah I would have to recommend 3ds max 4.x. Its pretty easy to get to grips with the basics...

Could you get the trial version of Softimage XSI? I have one right next to me... That would solve the exporting bit and possibly model (i dont actually know as I haven`t booted it up, its been sitting in same place since summer!).

Check their website out it may be of some help, again I dont know how long it lasts for... all I know its on two discs one with program and one with vid tuts.

Archived