Home

new animations.......

bugkill

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahh i see.

call me number guy, lol, this name is a sign of the signup probs i was having when i made the account.

yeah thats how the collision sounds to me, as though its not a herculean coding task. imho, it would be hard to get a 'real' combat system into torque, but easier than any fps i can think of. making something like rune or jk2 shouldnt be too hard, more animation work than coding prolly.

so c'mon, cough it up, whats your friend got planned?

hmm. im planning a fantasy rpg, sort of like warhammer frpg but less cartoonish, a gritty medieval setting. atm i want combat similar to jk2's, except with more attack maneuvers, with more precise control over what move is used.

designing the player interface right now.

yeah i hear you there. im not trying to go pro myself, i just want to make a game. not saying i wouldnt charge for it if it looked feasible, but getting it made comes first.

why dont we find an irc channel somewhere, id love to talk to you and your friend, maybe we could work together or just bounce ideas?

heh, torque rules. i was just going through the code snippets last night, looking at the inventory system someone submitted. im thinking to myself "no, that wont work, i need a drag n drop icon inventory system. so i check in today, and there at the top of the list is a fresh code snippet - drag n drop inventory. hehehe, gotta love that!

• 2 weeks later...

2 things:

New animations: POSSIBLE. You could, if you wanted to, hex edit the animation file TO HELL and back.

Animation Tool: The goodness of being able to create new animations without purchasing an expensive program for thousands of dollars sounds great, right?

It sounds good to me, too. It took a while to get animations debugged to the point that they are at, while trying to keep the code as portable and bug-free as possible.

This has had a very steep learning curve, but I've progressed fairly far, but still don't have anything really good to show you, ie no new animations yet. I am working on making it reasonably easy to use, which has proven hard to do. Essentially, a free tool doesn't cost you any money, but it costs me a lot of time.

At times it seems that no one is interested in new animations - probably because I said ... 4.5 months ago that it was possible and still we have nothing, so this in a large way is my fault.

However, please understand that I am not one of the coding greats, like ydnar or RR2DO2. I've not even been coding C for a year and I'm trying to write a program that manipulates skeletons - my first program, in fact. So please don't be too harsh - I'm trying to do something for the community and JA's community that they could not do for themselves.

I appreciate it. Don't worry if people aren't interested in it for JO anymore. When JA comes along, Raven probably isn't going to have any magical tools to edit animations, and seeing how that game will probably be much more popular than JA, your work is hardly in vein.

Thanks, Emon. JA rekindled my desire to edit Ghoul2 animations. The Ghoul2 system is strong and flexible, but frozen to the mod community.

I just defined a new filetype for the tool today, called "Spoon", or .spn. Because moving bones individually would probably kill a man, because of their "crappy hierarchy", the Spoon file defines a system where you can define / alter the quaternions of more than one bone at a time. It's a binary filetype, and I just implemented a way to make one using the tool and manually keying each bone in, but that just about KILLED me. I only did the right arm and the left arm and got really really really annoyed when I keyed in one part wrong.

It'd be hard to explain why, but, trust me, it's for functionality, and that is a good thing.

(ps - why'd I name it Spoon? The tool is being called GlaNeo at this point, figure the rest out :p)

yeah... got the reference immediately.

...especially since this evening I was over at a friend's house and when preparing a cup of coffee I blurted out, "There is no spoon." ;)

BTW, Wudan, I'd like to chat at length with you about this week about this topic, perhaps this week on icq or #jk2coding? I'd really like to catch up a bit and find out what's going on & what progress you've made in the last couple of months, since I have a vested interest in this issue.

Thanks!

:D

The only thing I might want from Raven is the ModView source.

Because an XSI file is still painfully limited to people who can use XSI (and people who can figure out how to do it thru 3dsm), this route is not really what I'd call a great solution. The fact that people still need 3dsm to make a model, is a problem, IMO, and creating a solution that only helps the few people who have XSI is still not a really good solution.

So, I am on the verge of having a rough rough draft of a way to create new animations, or at least new single frame animations, which will lead to innovations on how to make the system work better and fork off in to a 'key-frame' new animation sequence generation process.

But first, I'm going to stick what I've got down and see how easy it is to make a new animation. This will, I hope, lead to more innovations and progress.

To challenge me, what kind of a single-frame animation should I try to peice together?

Originally posted by razorace

Damn, are the nrgforums down again?

yep.. been down for a couple of days now. :(

Anyway, on the qvm side of things, I'm rewriting the animation code to make it more usable. I'm about 40% done.

What sort of modifications are you performing?

Archived