Home

Meant to be a trilogy

The ending was meant to coinside with the launch of Monkey Island 3 which was in the works when Ron left. He talks about it in interviews.

My question is - does anyone know if a sister is mentioned - because I'm pretty sure Elaine is meant to be Guybrush and Lechucks sister - like starwars.

Do the parents in that final cut scene say something to the boys like - have you seen your sister?

I'm probabyl imagining this - but I'm pretty sure Elaine in Guybrush's sister

because it is, it was sick in star wars and it's sick now. and no, i don't remember anything about her being a sister.

also, i don't remember anything about mi3 being in the works when ron left, he left long before that and then CMI was started in about 95/6

Originally posted by Patrickkrebs

and - I'm glad to know someone close to Ron Gilbert who can make that declaration.

oh god, (sorry) not another friend of a friend story. You know what, I know someone close to Charles Spencer, does that mean I know all about the butler trial with Princess Diana? Nope, i simply know someone (as well as work for The earl, but that doesn't really matter)

An 'is' thrown in there would have made that sentance more clearer as to be directed at me. I simply said that Ron left long before MI3 was in the works, you don't have to be Ron's brother to know that. And also, I would like to know if you are a creative writer because any creative writer would think of all aspects of a story twist as big as this to see what it would lead to, not just jump in there and say "You know what, lets make this really weird and make Elaine, Guybrush's sister!"

But like I said in my post in you're other thread, I'm willing to put this dispute behind us if you are, so i'm going to try and forget the 'moron' comment and carry on this discussion as civilised as i can.

I honestly don't think the Elaine being Guybrush's sister thing you'r suggesting is anything Ron would have done - it's waaay too close to a certain other LucasArts/LucasFilm title. What was that called? Some little-known trilogy, I forget the name.

If Elaine IS Guybrush's sister, and if the world of Monkey Island was created by Guybrush's imagination (assuming that the theory of him being a child is true) why would be make his sister his girlfriend anyway? A wise man once said, "That doesn't work."

exactly. plus, the plotline of monkey island isn't intended to be like that of star wars. they only put in quotes and such from star wars in there, not make mi like star wars.

Do the parents in that final cut scene say something to the boys like - have you seen your sister?

no. and i don't know what cutscene you're talking about.

What I heard (and don't quote me on this) is that it was going to end with MI2, but they stuck the LeChuck's Demon Eyes and Elaine standing by the hole into the ending in case there was to be a third game. And there was. Just Ol' Ronnie didn't have anything to do with it.

Also if it was meant to be anything it was mweant to be one game. Only limitations of the day meant that it couldn't be done, and so it was split into two seperate games. Of course, this is yet another nugget of information that you shouldn't quote me on.

No, actually most of that was true, the basic truth is, Guybrush dreamed up the entire thing, he was meant to be a little kid in an amusement park imagining all this. And the LeChuck eyes thing was meant to leave the thing open for a third instalment, whatever that may have been. Then Gilbert left so his ideas of a third game weren't taken on board (or weren't known), but he did have a definite view of what he wanted from MI3, he just didn't tell anyone, and still hasn't.

and also, yes, mi1 & 2 were only meant to be one game, but it would have taken up a lot of 5 1/4 inch floppies which would have just been stupid, so they settled with two games (which is why production of the second game started on the release of the first), but a single game may have made the whole kid think easier to swallow in my opinion.

Well there we go. In the unlikely event of LuacArts deciding to remake MI1&2 it would probably make more sense to make them as one game. But that's off-topic.

I think you've pretty much summed it all up, Neil. Well done. Way to stop me thinking of something intelligent to add :rolleyes:

At least with StarWars, Luke and Leia didn't get married, at least it was only one kiss.

I would have loved to have known what Ron Gilbert's idea for MI3 was... Luke I am you're father sounds pretty likely (well ok not Luke... Guybrush... I am your father)

:: Off-Topic Comment ::

Observe the above post. Spam much?

:: End of Off-Topic Comment::

Patrickkrebs, you have to understand that while ol' Ron had his ideas for a third Monkey Island game we'll probably never find them out. Elaine turning out to be Guybrush's sister seems unlikely and clichéd to say the least.

Hmmm, do I smell the unmistakeable aroma of a Finished Discussion?

Originally posted by SCUMMinator2k

Well there we go. In the unlikely event of LuacArts deciding to remake MI1&2 it would probably make more sense to make them as one game. But that's off-topic.

Heh... can't resist but chip something in on that note. I don't think it would make sense to do that considering the timeframe. Part of the charm of MI2 is that Guybrush is back, with lots of money, growing a beard and moustache, and something happened between him and Elaine between the two. That would make for a huge awkward pause in the middle of the game.

Archived