Home

Fuel for vehicles?

Dagobahn Eagle

Well i would basically stay around town in my speeder if i had low fuel :). As if i run out of fuel i can always call my PA to help me out. :p

And on another note i would plan my trip's ahead if i knew they were going to be rather long :cool::D

Jackrabbit,

Thanks for the nod.

I think kits could be used, but to use them effectively, you would need to spend some skill points, in artisan skills possibly.

At the same time a NPC or PC could do the repairs/upkeep for a nominal fee.

Like Kaiser Isaac is saying too though, It shouldn't turn into a walk the mount twice a day or fill up on gas 2 times a week.

More of a guage like feature where it takes say a few weeks to get down to 1/4. At that point you get a little warning that it needs to be fixed (say something similar to the armor/weapon color change in D2). You could then use a kit to fix it or take it to a professional.

Also if you use a kit and are not that experienced, it might repair it but lower the overall "durability" for lack of a better word, of the vehicle/mount.

Originally posted by Krymelord

Jackrabbit,

Thanks for the nod.

I think kits could be used, but to use them effectively, you would need to spend some skill points, in artisan skills possibly.

At the same time a NPC or PC could do the repairs/upkeep for a nominal fee.

Like Kaiser Isaac is saying too though, It shouldn't turn into a walk the mount twice a day or fill up on gas 2 times a week.

More of a guage like feature where it takes say a few weeks to get down to 1/4. At that point you get a little warning that it needs to be fixed (say something similar to the armor/weapon color change in D2). You could then use a kit to fix it or take it to a professional.

Also if you use a kit and are not that experienced, it might repair it but lower the overall "durability" for lack of a better word, of the vehicle/mount.

I said the gauge feauture :p There might not even be any fuel at all , They may put it in if enough people want it.

I myself don't mind if they have it :)

The reason I gave the idea was to give vehicles an operational range. Face it: It's just not realistic for a speeder bike to go 500 km without any sort of maintenance or intereference, is it? Fuel would put a limit on how far vehicles could travel. But the obvious question is: What about running out of fuel:)?

No, there won't be fuel. I realize that now. I'm open to other ideas, though.

So lets try to pool ideas here.

What we don't want:

We don't want an EQ like scenario, where we have to stop from doing what we enjoy about the game, just to go buy food. IE, I am an overt rebel, in Imp territory hunting...whatever. I don't want to have to travel 10 mins or more out of the way to buy fuel/maintenance, because my speeder is on empty.

Realistically vehicles/mounts cannot go forever without some kind of upkeep. As Dagobahn Eagle said, vehicles should have an operational range. We do not want vehicles/mounts to just go for an unlimited amount of time.

We all seem to agree that we also don't want owning a vehicle/mount to turn into a chore. I don't want to have to wash my speeder weekly, or take it in for an "oil change" every 3000 km. I don't want to take my bantha to the Large Animal vet for his innoculation and to be de-flea'd either. The RL stuff that becomes a drag. Lets face it we will be in this world to escape some of our RL BS.

What we do want:

In my best Dr. Evil voice A quasi-realistic way to give vehicles some minor restrictions, to prevent them from being the "energizer bunny" way of speedy travel in SWG. Everybody eventually owned a YALM in AO. As a matter of fact, a large portion of gaming time is put into getting one.

We want a way to monitor the vehicle/mount so it just doesn't go kaput on us in the middle of nowhere. As Reaper brought it up, and indicator of some sort. In the form of a guage or flashing light. Some way to inform the user that "the tank is low". *note* For you FL people, nobody tries to cross Alligator Alley without checking their tank first. Unless of course you want to walk out of the everglades.*end note*

With that being said, we also don't want you to drop everything we are doing, in mid-quest so to speak, just to deal with vehicle/mount problems. This is still "make-believe" people, I will logon to enjoy the experience, not micro-manage everything about my character. If that was so why not force characters to shave too. Imagine the ZZ Top clones running around on Corellia.

So now that is said how would you implement a system that covers all these bases? Or can you make a valid argument for infinite fuel/no maintenance and why it would be better?

:mob:

Originally posted by Jackrabbit

It's not very realistic, but neither is not having to eat food. I'm guessing all vehicles will have infinite fuel, giving you less things to worry about.

::put put put put ta ta ta BOOM!::

"Damnit...I knew I should have brought extra fuel."

I thought we do have to eat food in the game?

ALSO.........i am thinking that vehicle may not require fuel but will be on the list for item decay. (opinion)

i hope that vehicles use item decay that it's not like the item decay that they are currently using...cause there is no real way to stop the decay except the polish kit and that would makes the items unusable, well that is how i last heard it was going to be, just think if you saved up all your credits to buy a speader then it decays and you have to save up all your credits again to buy a new one...

o and remember how old lukes speader was and it still worked...for one i hope they use some type of fuel and not decay, but i do hope they make the vehicles break down sometimes and they have to get repaired

Originally posted by rogue 99

i hope that vehicles use item decay that it's not like the item decay that they are currently using...cause there is no real way to stop the decay except the polish kit and that would makes the items unusable, well that is how i last heard it was going to be, just think if you saved up all your credits to buy a speader then it decays and you have to save up all your credits again to buy a new one...

o and remember how old lukes speader was and it still worked...for one i hope they use some type of fuel and not decay, but i do hope they make the vehicles break down sometimes and they have to get repaired

Good point! i never looked at it from that point of view

Dr Zaius might be on to something here too.

Buying fuel cells are not required but could improve speed and reduce "item decay". That way those who want the realism of fuel can get it and a little bonus for doing it, while those who find it a pain in the ass do not have to deal with it.

A very interesting idead Doc...

Archived