Home

"Son Of Monkey Island" - yet another stupid MI5 idea...

Before I start, I would like to say that yes, I'm a newbie to this forum. Whoop-de-doo. I have some opinions about the series (the largest of them being that CMI and EMI are nothing more than Fangames - SoMI and MI2 are the only true games in the series, IMHO) and I'm a human, or a close approximation, so don't jump on my case if I get the facts slightly wrong because although I've been playing the games since the first one was released on the Amiga (wanting to play the game was the motivation behind me learning to read) I am pretty much a newcomer to the MI Community. So cut me some slack if I am ignorant of certain things.

Here's my idea for a sequel - Son of Monkey Island (the title is pantslame, yes). set quite a few years after MI4, Guybrush is an Old Man. He and Elaine had kids who now have kids of their own, but their marriage didn't quite work out and Guybrush and Elaine are divorced. Doesn't mean that Guybrush doesn't still love Elaine, though...

Guybrush's grandson, who we will call Bob until I can think of a better name, is about 17 and has heard all of Guybrush's tales. Everything - mighty triumph over the Ghost Pirate LeChuck, his thwarting of the Zombie Pirate LeChuck, and his victory over the Demon Pirate LeChuck (with some Big Whoop thrown in for Good Measure). The Age of Pirates is long over but some are still about. Bob decides he will seek out these Pirates and try to become one, just like Grandpa Guybrush.

Things get tricky, however, when he eventually comes across LeChuck who, like so many computer game bad guys, doesn't doesn't seem to know how to stay dead. Furthermore, Largo is still about, working on his own, trying to get revenge on Bob for what his Grandfather did to him back on Scabb Island all those years ago. Bob needs help, and as ever the Voodoo Lady is here to help. (having not aged a bit... or at least not to the extent where you'd say it to her face) But the Voodo Lady is rarely any help other than the odd Mystical Item or nugget of help. And so Grandma Elaine must be tracked down to lend a hand.

I had this idea for other characters, and the rest of the plot, but it's gone. I'm sure it will involve trying to recruit a crew, though. THis is, of course, just an idea.

Bob. I think it works better like that. There could be a "Final confrontation" at the beginning where you play as Guybrush to thwart LeChuck for seemingly the last time. And then it flashes forward to however many years later...

And you're Bob.

CMI and EMI are nothing more than Fangames

wtf CMI is the best out of them all

Its an ok idea but i would still like 2 Play as Guybrush

everything else is cool thourgh accept for the title.....

no offence but the Son of monkey island

i think it should be Return to monkey island

well thats just wat i think

Originally posted by SCUMMinator2k

[

Furthermore, Largo is still about, working on his own, trying to get revenge on Bob for what his Grandfather did to him back on Scabb Island

erm...wouldnt largo be dead by that time? or at least so old that he cant be any threat....?

Largos grandson, um no, i don't want to picture him breeding, um, his brothers, wifes sisters, sons cousin, yeah, that could work.

but yeah, good story, and i like the idea of guybrush's grandson. hey, if you want to get your ideas out there, make it up as a fan novel (or script).

But i like it, god work.

Thanks, guys. I had actually planend to make this into a game but I've got too much on my plate at the moment anyway (fan-sequel to Cannon Fodder being the big project! Website up soon! Spam spam spam!). I might make a fan-novel at some point, when I can dig up the time.

Also, nice to see that I rule.

• 4 weeks later...

I find this interesting, and it makes me remember something I ran across once upon a time. I had been searching the net, and ran into a site where some random man had created a "web site." He gave the information that MI5 WILL be about the Son of Guybrush, and it will be an Action game where you run around and kill ghosts at an alarming pace. He gave many false facts, but in the end, I believe he kicked me off of his website. And pasted little hate notes to me on the bottom of his pages.

Anyway, at the moment, I was too horrified to think about the good part in this idea he gave. I like the thought that it is Guybrush's offspring doing the mischeif now, though it would make me sad to quit controlling my ol' friend, Mr. Brush. So, altogether, wonderful idea.

It'ds HAVE to stay as a graphic adventure game... or whatever you crazy kids are calling it these days. I don't think Mi works too well in 3D, I'd like to see the fifth installment return to the old point 'n' click way of things but I don't see it happening.

Anyway my idea was pretty much off of the top of my head.

• 1 month later...

Scumminator, I too am a newbie here. My view may or may count, but what the hel. I really want to stay with regular young guybrush, the thought of him elderly and playing as his grandson....it doesnt really click to me. I do sorta like the idea of Largo returning to take revenge on guybrush. I really hated ozzie Mandrill as villain #2 in EMI, Im just used to having it just guybrush vs LeChuck, though i didnt mind Largo..

So here's MY idea. Perhaps Lechuck is torn too terribly after the end of EMI, so his greatest remaining follower [Largo]'s soul must be used to revive Lechuck, who now includes a largo-like personality, along with his usual sloblike self. From there, pretty much anything can happen with guybrush, elaine, or perhaps a little boybrush. Speaking of which, boybrush would be a good name for a son.

Just some ideas.............let me know what you think.

Well, I must say that your new idea of Bob is interesting. Very interseting.. Some

Cons:

1. Who would the person play as? Bob or Guybrush?

2. What would Bob look like? Like guybrush, elaine, or totally different?

3. The title you suggested? Son of Monkey Island??:confused:

4. Which islands would there be? New islands? or a comination of Islands from the other 4?

Pros:

1. New story line i guess

2. A twist on the original 4 games

3. New theme

hope this helps -monkeyman88;)

You'd control Bob, but a Monkey Island game is not a Monkey Island game without Guybrush - you'd see him a bit during the game, and perhaps control him a little. Bob's personallity would have to remain witty, but he'd have to react differently to how Guybrush would, otherwise it might not seem so fresh.

Hey--The idea's really interesting and all---but its very unlikely that playing as "bob" in the future...is gonna work. I don't see why Largo seeking revenge on guybrush himself would be so bad.... The whole bob thing...ehhh, even if u could play as guybrush in the game, that would make it like a multiplayer game, which is just not the style of Monkey Island™.

By the way, Guybrush and Elaine being divorced totally defies the entire love affair in all 4 games....I think that'd be sorta silly.

But all in all, the game ideas creative and smart....but needs work.... you know?

Originally posted by Glottiscane

So here's MY idea. Perhaps Lechuck is torn too terribly after the end of EMI, so his greatest remaining follower [Largo]'s soul must be used to revive Lechuck, who now includes a largo-like personality, along with his usual sloblike self.

I dunno...I wouldn't call Largo LeChuck's "greatest" follower. He seemed a bit reluctant to follow LeChuck's orders in MI2, if I recall. And when they were resurrecting him, didn't Largo say something like, "So when are we going to resurrect the bloated old fool?" or something like that? That's not exactly screaming loyalty there.

And SCUMM, welcome to the MI forums, and I think if you wanted to, you could certainly turn that idea into a fanfic!

Well, he had something like a follower in every game: Bob the skeleton in MI1, who was essentially LeChuck's bitch, and not really the evil pirate type. In MI3, Lechuck had Dinghy Dog...I guess, plus the whole army of the undead, but they all exploded in MONKEY iSLAND. In MI4, Lechuk was sorta the follower of Ozzie. But in MI2, Largo was somewhat of a badass, And was the follower of lechuck, and I could clearly see him as a demon pirate. That was just the way I see it, but.....

I would agree that Largo was LeChuck coolest "sidekick", but I think that he only really hung around with him for the power. Largo seems to have no focus really in MI2 apart from being a bully and enforcing his power. He only resurrects LeChuck, IMO, to gain more power for himself, as he does refer to LeChuck as a "bloated old fool" or something similar as TyraaRane said.

Archived