Home

Making the most out of your fps

lllKyNeSlll

To get really good graphics and really good fps, I recently tried something new. Previously I got around 50 to 70 fps with 640x480 resolution with everything maxed out. This was on my Geforce2 GTS 64mb , 1.8ghz, 256RDRAM computer with 2x anti aliasing.

I kind of realized that anti aliasing although it does smooth your graphics, makes everything look cartoony and JPEG-like and really drops your fps. So, I turned off anti aliasing, graphics were much sharper and nicer even at that low res. Then I upped the resolution to 1024 to 760 or something and I had an actual FPS increase to 90 FPS. I joined a large ffa map with 12 ppl in ffa deathstar and my fps never dropped below 60, whereas my old settings would goto 45 to 60.

Of course, dynamic lighting is always off, never cared for it much. cg_hudfiles 1 always.

So pretty much, turning off anti-aliasing and upping the res will give you sharper graphics. WIth the high res you won't notice the jagged edges anyway. The FPS will also be much better.

I have everything maxed out on 1280x960 (19" flatscreen, hehe, 1024x768 looks really dumb on it :D), but no FSAA (since I have a GF4, GF's never are real good with FSAA, Radeon handle it way better)...

And yeah, if you have a good vidcard, you better run in 32-bit color and 1024x768 minimum, otherwise it won't run as well. The cards have an optimal resolution and bitdepth you know...

But hey, I get 100 fps allmost allways :)

19 inch and you only do 1280x960?!

and doesn't handle FSAA well? what gf4 do you have?

P4 2.5333GHz

1 Gig RDRAM

GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128MB

18.1" LCD (omfg is so clear u won't belive. no more CRT's for me)

1280x1024

32 bit colors

32 bit textures

Trilinear Filtering

Vertex lighting

4x FSAA

few tweaks

everything maxed out that i possibly can.

i get 100 fps w/ DX 8.1 but i got DX 9 and it jumped to 150.

tho w/ q3 it is weird

same settings but i get 200 FPS. but when i start shooting rockets it jumps to 250

Originally posted by Rumor

19 inch and you only do 1280x960?!

and doesn't handle FSAA well? what gf4 do you have?

P4 2.5333GHz

1 Gig RDRAM

GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128MB

18.1" LCD (omfg is so clear u won't belive. no more CRT's for me)

1280x1024

32 bit colors

32 bit textures

Trilinear Filtering

Vertex lighting

4x FSAA

few tweaks

everything maxed out that i possibly can.

i get 100 fps w/ DX 8.1 but i got DX 9 and it jumped to 150.

tho w/ q3 it is weird

same settings but i get 200 FPS. but when i start shooting rockets it jumps to 250

Yeah that's my windows resolution... I have no need for higher resolutions. I have a GF4Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB and FSAA brings down fps pretty much! Well I could take it in JO of course, no problem there, but with UT2003 it can make my framerate drop rapidly :(

Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll

To get really good graphics and really good fps, I recently tried something new. Previously I got around 50 to 70 fps with 640x480 resolution with everything maxed out. This was on my Geforce2 GTS 64mb , 1.8ghz, 256RDRAM computer with 2x anti aliasing.

I kind of realized that anti aliasing although it does smooth your graphics, makes everything look cartoony and JPEG-like and really drops your fps. So, I turned off anti aliasing, graphics were much sharper and nicer even at that low res. Then I upped the resolution to 1024 to 760 or something and I had an actual FPS increase to 90 FPS. I joined a large ffa map with 12 ppl in ffa deathstar and my fps never dropped below 60, whereas my old settings would goto 45 to 60.

Of course, dynamic lighting is always off, never cared for it much. cg_hudfiles 1 always.

So pretty much, turning off anti-aliasing and upping the res will give you sharper graphics. WIth the high res you won't notice the jagged edges anyway. The FPS will also be much better.

How do you turn off anti aliasing? Is there a setting in JK? or do you have to do it in your card settings?

Archived