Home

EXP questions

Dradle

What are they doing to the EXP gain, if they do not have levels to stop people from killing easy monsters? And Can a max skill dancer still get exp from grouping with a new character "Twinks" that is killing rats in the newbie zone?

Originally posted by Dradle

What are they doing to the EXP gain, if they do not have levels to stop people from killing easy monsters? And Can a max skill dancer still get exp from grouping with a new character "Twinks" that is killing rats in the newbie zone?

I personally don't know, it will probally be comfirmed on the Official site very soon. :)

Skill points have their own XP. A "high lvl" character can go around killing easy monsters, but they wont get much XP because it isn’t very difficult for him. In a group, you get XP depending on your participation. If somebody in the group just stays back and watches, he/she wont get any skills. There is nothing keeping a n00b and a vet from grouping, but either the vet wont get any XP for fighting easy creatures, or the n00b wont get any because he can’t hurt the harder creatures.

[Edit] I didn't read the second part of your question right, so I have a little more to add. If the dancer isn't fighting, they wont get any XP. If they are helping "Twink" in some way, though, they will get XP in the skill that they are using.

Originally posted by Jackrabbit

Skill points have their own XP. A "high lvl" character can go around killing easy monsters, but they wont get much XP because it isn’t very difficult for him. In a group, you get XP depending on your participation. If somebody in the group just stays back and watches, he/she wont get any skills. There is nothing keeping a n00b and a vet from grouping, but either the vet wont get any XP for fighting easy creatures, or the n00b wont get any because he can’t hurt the harder creatures.

[Edit] I didn't read the second part of your question right, so I have a little more to add. If the dancer isn't fighting, they wont get any XP. If they are helping "Twink" in some way, though, they will get XP in the skill that they are using.

Thanks for clearing that up for us JackRabbit. :D

On the first issue... we avoid use-based systems as much as possible because they lead to macroing. In UO's case, people locked up critters in their houses and pounded on them overnight to raise their swordsmanship skill. We prefer "results-based" advancement, and that is why we only give the XP when you succeed at killing the target

Ok... this was posted by Holocron( SWG Dev) in the official forum as a reply to XP question.

So it looks like that we get xp after we kill the mob not getting it while fighting the mob for the reason given above.

It may lead to ks(kill stealing) though...

If you are in that group and they do kill the thing, you will only get xp for contributing to the kill so if you sit back and watch while your group kills the thing you dont get anything. That is what I have read so far

Don't worry about that.

You only get xp for something you contribute to. And you only get xp in the skill(s) you used. So you can't sit back and let your friends do all your work, and neither can you keep healing people, gain a lot of xp, and suddenly have a much better aim with a blaster.

Hehe no jack, is just that Holo's last sentence frighted me a little.

We prefer "results-based" advancement, and that is why we only give the XP when you succeed at killing the target

so let's say A is fighting a mob,however, he has to run away to not get himself killed, altough the mob nearly dies too. Suddenly B comes on and finishes the mob, so B gets the xp, but will A get it too?

Originally posted by J.K Luke

Hehe no jack, is just that Holo's last sentence frighted me a little.

so let's say A is fighting a mob,however, he has to run away to not get himself killed, altough the mob nearly dies too. Suddenly B comes on and finishes the mob, so B gets the xp, but will A get it too?

Well, I hope (and think) that A will get his quota of XP proportionally to the amount of wounds he inflicted, and B only a little part due to his partial contribution, although the kill of the beast ;)

deggesim:Well, I hope (and think) that A will get his quota of XP proportionally to the amount of wounds he inflicted, and B only a little part due to his partial contribution, although the kill of the beast

I'm good if the current combat xp system is like what you described above.

Archived