Home

Republic Units for SWGB2 - Poll

Darth Windu

What extra unit should the Republic have for SWGB2?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What extra unit should the Republic have for SWGB2?

• Republic Assault Ship
    • Clone Repeater Trooper
    • Clone Sniper
    • Clone Flame Trooper
    • Other (Specify)

sith - wow, thats quite an honour coming from you.

In terms of gameplay and realism i went for 100% realism and then started balancing. Of course i cant balance it properly because its just on paper, but i have a good idea of what id like to see and hopefully that comes across in my idea.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sith - wow, thats quite an honour coming from you.

Nah, you're a respectable member of the community (no more annoying threads). A lot higher standing in my book than like say simwiz. The only thing I raised an eyebrow to the Kaminoan worker. I think that the current ones are more realistic (being from corusant and in a movie) plus their a lot cooler to kill.

luke - well at one time i had the Republic's worker as a Clone Engineer, but then you have to realise that the job of the worker is not only to build buidlings, but also to mine resources. Because of that, i thought it would be a bit wierd to have a Clone trooper mining Nova crystals...

sith - how do you mean "The gameplay jury's still out, but it doesn't look like a positive verdict from where im standing". As i've said from the start i like member input so if possible could you expand on this?

Windu - ever thought that each civ doesn't need the same number of things? Units will be balanced while at the same time remaining true to the movies, so one civ may have less variety but better standard units while another may have a huge selection of mediocre units.

By the way, what is an ARC Trooper?

Vostok - well there were a few reason, being that each civ had around that number anyway before i even counted, and also to prevent stuff like 'you're favouring x civ because they have more units!'. Obviously if my idea were to be converted to a playable game, these numbers would likely change for the sake of balance.

Also the ARC Trooper is the Advanced Reconnaissance Clone Trooper. I first saw it as a Hasbro toy and apparently they are also in some comics. Basically, they are the Navy SEAL's of the Republican Army. They just seemed very unique to me, even though they arent in the movies, and i thought they would be fun to use.

luke - but Rebel special forces arent in the game, hence the ARC Trooper is unique.

Also, it depends on what you consider to be an 'uberunit'. In my idea, each and every unit has particular strengths and weaknesses. For example-

SPHA-T - has very long range and very powerful, but has no secondary weapons, has a minimum range, cannot be air transported, takes up 5 pop slots

AT-AT - very heavy armour and heavy firepower, but is slow, expensive, takes up 4 pop slots and can only fire at targets directly in front of it and a few degrees left and right

A-wing - very fast interceptor, best used vs bombers and can destroy them quickly, but has low armour and performs poorly against and ground target and is weaker than fighters

and so on...

Windu- What tells that the rebel specforce won't be in the game?

And Uber units are like simon the killer ewok or the death star.

Or if you want a better example(being an old StarCraft fan) the protoss.

The Dark Archon could mind control any unit turning him to your side giving the protoss the ability to mind control other civs' workers. Those workers could then build Terran or Zerg buildings and start a new uber civ made of all the civs combined. That's a uber unit. A unit too powerful.

If a civ was made up of such units, it would be favored.

Well, I've decided to be a rebel and vote 'Other.'

Windu, I don't know how many times we have to say it. It's clear that GB2 would be much better if there were unique unit sets, instead of your generic templates with a few unique units and a single- yes, count it, single- unique building.

Windu, you simply cannot say that you have unique unit sets faced with evidence like that, taken directly from your latest Word document.

And seeing as we are seeking unique units that enhance the civ's character and make it different to other civs- well, why not all of them, instead of basic troopers/mechs? Why not none of them?

The idea of restricting the amount of units to 20 and having 5 unique units yet only including one seems directly contradictory to what we've been talking about the whole time (namely, unique unit sets). Does anyone else see this way?

Luke's dad- Hehe. Good old Protoss.

Luke - because i didnt include them in my idea, and thats what we're talking about...

Corran - what are you talking about? No unit in my idea is exactly the same as any other unit. BTW, i have significantly updated my idea since the one i sent you.

Also, as i have said, my idea for uniqueness goes as such-

1. Generic unit with multipliers (ie speed, firepower etc)

2. Semi-unique units with multipliers

3. Unique units

4. Generic buidlings

5. Unique buildings

I dont see any need for more than 1 unique building as that building enhances a particular civ's strengths, and whats the point in having a unique barracks for every civ since they do the same thing anyway?

As for my generic units, as i said they all have multipliers, for example, the Rebel trooper is significantly faster but has less armour and firepower than the Clone Trooper, but they are both troopers.

PS: if you're going to vote 'other', it helps to say what 'other' unit you would like instead of the other options...

Windu, like I said at my thread, unique buildings aren't just the generic ones with different units/arts/names. They are truly unique. You'll understand when I post my next template (its gonna be the gungans probably, they're the most "done"). The gungans only have three "military" buildings, compared to the Confeds six (thy have so many buildings to simulate the idea that they were made up of bunches of different parts, unlike now, which is pretty homogenous). And, if I remember my templates correctly, there really isn't a "mech" building or a "trooper" building. Having generic units or semi-generic units kinda defeats the purpose of the unique unit sets...

To get back at my example of StarCraft, you can look at the zealot, the marine and the hydralisk. They're all primary infantry units while being really unique at the same time.

Of course in the case of SWGB, this can't really be done(with exceptions of Wookiees, Gungans and Hutt Cartel). The other units uses similar weapons so they might need to be semi-unique after all.

And maybe certain civs have different types of building units. Like gungans breed their mechs(if we can call them mechs)

we can do this à la zerg in StarCraft. Their mechs come from eggs and gets armed after that.(ok maybe those animals don't come from eggs but I dunno!).

The republic can create clone clones(d'uh) in a clone factory. The trade fed can litterally build stuff. With the rebels you train recruits, with the wookiees(and ewok) well...they do...what people have to do to have babies(ok weird I just had to say it:p )

you look at things from a fairly graphical level. Weapons aren't what dictate uniqueness, its the way they play and their overall purpose in the game. Spears, hops, and ulfs in AoM look pretty different and even have quite different stats, but they are the only universal semi-generic unit in the game because they are all very similar in purpose. My StarCraft experience is limited, but im pretty sure that zealots, hrdalisks, and marine were fairly different for gameplay reasons as well.

well take it from a StarCraft maniac(old StarCraft maniac).

They weren't so different(the zealot can't attack air but that's all). They are your primary ground infantry unit and serves almost the same purpose.

It's not only from graphical point of view. I actually think that Wookiees and Hutt Cartel should have different main infantry unit(berserker and gamorrean guard).

And cool graphics are important

we don't want big squares and circles fighting each other.

Sith - i strongly disagree about having completely unique buildings because-

1. They generally do the same things

2. It would be very difficult to balance

3. It would take up a lot of system resources

Hence, why have them? Most, if not all RTS games have generic buildings, the difference in my idea being that each civ has access to a unique building, such as the Clone Factory for the Republic and Starfleet Uplink for the Empire.

I would also like to point out Corran was severely mistaken when he said that each of my civs only has 5 unique units, i will use the Republic as an example-

Generic-

1. Worker

2. Medic

3. Clone Trooper

4. Clone Rifle Trooper

5. Clone Commander

6. Jedi Knight

7. Utility Trawler

8. Frigate

Semi-Unique-

1. Clone Repeater Trooper/Sniper

2. Cruiser

Unique-

1. ARC Trooper

2. Jedi Master

3. Clone Trooper on Imperial Speeder Bike

4. AT-XT

5. AT-TE

6. SPHA-T

7. AA-9 Starfrieghter

8. Jedi Starfighter

9. Gunship

10. Dropship

As you can see the Republic actually has 50% totally unique units, the rest being semi-unique and generic as a matter of course (ie everyone has them anyway) and are that way to save on system resources and make for a better performing game.

Windu, didn't you agree on the unique unit sets thread that unique unit sets were necessay despite some system resourses problems? Strange change of pace...

Most, if not all RTS games have generic buildings
Actually the only mainstreamRTS game that has come out in the past year that used generic buildings/units was RoN, and there already is a thread concerning that games short-comings so i dont need to go into it.

1. They generally do the same things

2. It would be very difficult to balance

3. It would take up a lot of system resources

1. Most of the aforementioned (or somewhat aforementioned) games with unique building sets had buildings that produced different types of units than their counterparts in other civs.

2. I understand balancing different unit sets, but buildings? You rarely have "overpowered buildings, especially if they all just build units

3. In 2005, when this game probably will come out, I'm certain that most of the people will have computers that can handle it.

Archived