Home

Nightlight Songs

Huz

Gaah! My braaain!

I don't know what it is about the Nightlight songs, but in my darker moments, they seem to get lodged in my brain... even the original version of the songs they're based on can't dislodge them! Am I alone in this affliction?!

P.S. In addition to making the mistake of listening to "wookiee in Lost Cause" last night, I finally got around to listening to the whole of Lost Cause. Hooray!

I often find myself whistling Nightlight tunes on public transport or in the shower, so I definitely know what you mean there, Huz.

Speaking of which, how did you actually make these, 8? Did you get some kind of Karaoke version of the songs, or did you, er, do something else?

Well I have some good news. I have part 1 of Beneath Monkey Island sitting on my harddrive all complete, and it's only missing one single sound effect. If I can find that sound effect online, I'll upload it tonight. If not, check again tomorrow, I'll have to call into the radio station and hunt through the CDs for it.

For both 'Just the Way you are' and 'Wookiee that's in Lost Cause' I had specific songs in mind I wanted to do, which makes it rather hard. For both, I had to resort to using midi files.

But for some songs, such as the 'You've Got a Friend in Me' on the end of the Howard Christmas Carol, it has been possible to find karaoke versions of the songs.

The song that's going to go with Beneath Monkey Island will be using a karaoke music backing. I'm hoping that it turns out well, it depends on my singing ability though. :)

Cool! I'm looking forward to it! It'll be interesting to hear how this collaborative internet thingy works out. It doesn't work for fiction, can it work for scripted radio?!?! ;)

The reason I finally got around to polishing off Lost Cause was Shada, the latest Doctor Who thingy on the BBC site (it was a Tom Baker story written by Douglas Adams that was never completed at the time, non-fans!) - it got me back into the mood for radio stuff. Listen to it if you haven't already! I've been trying to convince Gabez to start, but he blatantly REFUSES. :)

Incidentally, Limp Rabbit, how do you find out how much of your life you've wasted on your various MP3s? Is it some kind of WinAmp plugin? It'd be interesting (but scary!) to find this stuff out.

Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I'm a little curious to find out how many years I've spent listening to 'Twisted' by Keith Sweat. :)

I haven't listened to Shada yet, although I'm aware that it's out - it's a little hard to listen with a 28k connection, I imagine. I was a little dissapointed that Tom Baker didn't voice it, and since I'm watching Doctor Who in order I might wait until I actually get up to Shada to listen to it.

Oh, and Beneath Monkey Island part 1 sounds fabulous. I really surprised myself by coming up with one of the best sounding radio series to hit Nightlight. As far as editing and music goes, this'll be the peak. And it's Monkey Island... what's not to like? :)

Good to know. You should encode it in Ogg Vorbis format rather than (or as well as?) MP3. Apparently you get more "bang" (quality) for your "buck" (file size).

As for Shada, they haven't tried to make it slot into the appropriate place in the Tom Baker era. They have a little prolouge showing how the 8th Doctor manages to meet up with Romana and K9 again, then they handily go back in time to resume some aborted mission 30 years earlier. They do refer to some Tom Baker event, but it's not going to ruin your enjoyment or anything. :)

It's also available in RealAudio format, which despite being evil, does have the advantage of being able to scale itself to almost any connection, so you shouldn't have much trouble listening. (If you don't have RealPlayer installed, make sure you grab RealPlayer 8 from somewhere rather than the spyware-tastic RealOne).

Oh you do go on, Huz.

Archived