Home

Wont be doing much....anymore...

Acrylic

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk It has nice complete and pretty much accurate PowerTab. I've been playing about a year, and I'm starting to get some real breakthroughs. My speed is improving, though I have trouble keeping the noise down. I reccomend this site to anyone looking for accurate tab; particualrly strong on Clapton.

-PS- Does anyone know where I can find some Albert Collins tab?

Anyway, I hope your adventures outside don't warp you too much. I've heard too many creepy stories about that place that isn't my basement. "Break a deal, spin the wheel" and all that. If Tina Turner wants to send you into the desert with a Mardi Gras mask on, tell her "no".

Originally posted by Solbe M'ko

My speed is improving, though I have trouble keeping the noise down.

-PS- Does anyone know where I can find some Albert Collins tab?

A few bits of advice from someone who's been there, done that...

1.) String muting is essential. "Keeping the noise down" is really the main thing that seperates a pro from a beginner. Start getting in the habit TODAY of muting every string but the one(s) you are playing using both hands. It's awkward at first, and will almost feel like a step backwards when you first try to implement it into your playing, but eventually it will become 2nd nature, and your playing will sound much cleaner.

This was a lesson that took me way too long to learn when I started. The sooner you start conciously doing it, the sooner you will be able to do it unconciously.

Eric Johnson spends a long time on his instructional vid "Total Electric Guitar" talking about just that.

2.) Don't worry too much about speed right now. Concentrate on playing clean, in tune, and in time and the chops will develop on thier own. It's far more impressive to see someone playing slowly, but hitting all the right notes and dead on the beat than it is to see someone flailing around really fast, but out of key and out of time. Always strive for musicality over speed. Think of David Gilmore.

3.) Break the tab habit early. Instead of looking for the tab for your favorite songs, sit down and strive to learn it by ear off the recording. It'll be frustrating at first, and you'll get a lot wrong the first try, especially the chords, but the more you do it the better you'll get at it, until you will get the point where you'll be able to play the parts along with the recording the first or second time you hear it. Learn to play the bass lines and vocal melodies as well,.. it will help. Take it slow, and start on something easy.

After you learn all the guitar parts to a song by ear, then check the tab to see if there was anything you missed and how accurate you were.

(Learning to sight read is also a good thing to work on. There is far more sheet music out there without tab than there is with tab. It can't do anything but help you if you do, although it is a huge commitment in time and effort.)

These are all mistakes I made, and bad habits I developed when first starting to play that I had to eventually learn to break. Your progress will go much quicker if you don't start or work to break them now.

Thanks for the reply, it actually means a lot to me that some one gave me pointers! :)

Anyway, the playing by ear thing isn't the problem for me, I learned "Layla" by ear the first month I had my guitar. My problem is knowing what key a song is in.

Um, also, is there a good way to finger slide? I find that I press to hard, so the slide sounds choppy, and when I try to ease up I wind up muting the string.

Thanks again, Ed.

:guitar2 <= Me

:explode: <= Dad

-Edit- On second though, this thread is getting off topic. I'll go start a newby guitarist thread so as not to disturb the mourners.

No problem! Glad to help! Please feel free to learn from my mistakes! ;) It's why old-timers exist... to save you time. :D

No, really... learning the hard way is over-rated. I wish I had listened to some of the people who warned me when I first started. I'd be a better player today.

Are you talking about using a slide, or just running your finger up the string (A glissando)?

Doing a gliss is just a matter of keeping at it until you get the tone you want. It's like when you first try to play an F-chord: holding those two strings down with one finger at the same time and making them both ring clear clear is the hardest thing in the world. But after a couple of weeks it's no problem. Just keep at it. Having thick calluses on your fingers helps.

If you're talking about playing with a slide though:

Most guys who play a lot of slide will tell you that they usually have another guitar set up specifically for slide work. Usually with the action set higher (strings higher above the neck) and heavier strings.

If you want a guitar to do both then I guess you should check out different types of slides to find a lighter one that allows you to get a clean note without fretting out on the fingerboard.

A glass bottle slide, like the Coriciden bottle that Duane Allman used to use will probably be the lightest and easiest to control if you are using the same instrument for both. I have one of these. Dunlop sells them and you should be able to get them at any good gutiar shop.

Try a few out though, you may find something you like better.

Learning the bass lines and vocal melody will almost always tell you what key you're in. The bass is almost always going to outline the chord progression, and the vocal is always going to be based on the root scale of the key. Betwwen these two things it's often easier to resolve the key of a song than trying to pick it out of a wierd guitar part taht might be jumping all over the place.

Also: The more you do it the better you'll be at picking out keys. Most rock and pop bands only play in a small handful of keys, usually stuff that falls easy on the guitar. As your ears get better at picking out chords you'll be able to hear the root of the key. Experience is really the only guide to something like this.

Archived