Home

help!

_Ashley_Solo_

Hi. iv recently decided to have a go at modeling and skinning for JK2 and i was wondering if anyone would tell me how i can start off and what program is best for the job for begginers. i already have adobe photoshop6.0 is that any good? i basicly need help on how to start off for both modeling and skinning. please help me cause i have some great ideas! ;)

yeah, PhotoShop is very good. Other choice will be PaintShop Pro.

For 3d modeling, you can use Gmax, Milkshape, or 3dsmax. Gmax is free, Milkshape have a 20 bucks' license, and 3dsmax is a really expensive tool. You can make weapons and some other thing with gmax and milkshape, but if you want to make player models you must get 3dsmax in order to put the model in-game.

If you want to create 3D player models you need:

-3D Studio Max 4.x (have no idea if 5 will work too)

-Raven's toolkit version 1.0

-Winzip or something to pak the .pk3

-Notepad

-Adobe Photoshop (mainly for skins)

For skins you can use photoshop and modview (included in toolkit 1.0)

Visit my homepage if you want more info on how to put this stuff together (not the modelling but rigging of characters)

You're kind of out of luck, since you need to have 3d Studio Max 4.0+ to get them into the proper Ghoul2 format... and unless you're rich, it's unlikely you'd be able to afford that, i think it's like $3,000 (american) or so. So assuming you're one to take the legal route.. there's not much you can do about that. Though it's not unlikely someone around here with Max would be willing to help you the conversion process.

Anyway though,

Winzip can be found at http://www.winzip.com though i'd suggest WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com) myself.

JKII tools released by Raven can be found here (for modeling you specificly need the Max 4 XSI plug-ins and Assimilate).

Notepad is something you should have, it's installed with Windows. For ghoul2 modeling purposes you'd just need that to do the .skin files (which just define textures for mesh groups).

For the actual model creation you can use any modeling program you wish, you just need 3d Studio Max to get it into the proper format. If you want to get familiar with 3d Studio you might want to start out with GMax, which can be found here. It's exactly the same as 3d Studio Max they just took out some of the more professional features. I myself use Milk Shape 3d (here) though, i love it's simplicity. If it weren't for this program i probably never would have gotten into 3d modeling. If you take a look at GMax you'll probably agree that it's quite intimidating.

Also note, that modeling and texture creation takes a lot of practice and a lot of devotion. It's not something you can just jump right into the first day and expect to be where you'd like to be. But you have to start somewhere, as do we all.

At least you have Photoshop my friend you can create some killer skins with that. I dont know whether anyone will agree with me but is it not a good idea to start skinning before moving onto modeling?

I dived straight into modeling but have a severly basic knowledge when it comes to skinning.

So you need 3dsMax(bla bla version) to make models and get them in game, so if you cant just download this program, how much does it cost.......

How big is the program, can someone just send me a copy?! hehe

I have some great ideas for models, and would love to create them......but i want a full program...not some crappy one.

Anyone who has it in Australia, send me a copy.... lol

Id prefer to call it renting for a night....then id send it back hehe but anyway lol.... i dun wanna get banned or some **** :D

How are people supposed to be able to make models if the program needed is that friggin astronomical amount??

$3000 US....god thats $6000 AU :eek: ........FARK THAT!!!!

How do regular (NoN Millionairre) people make models then?

Do they make it with that Gmax or Milkshape thingy...then send it to someone with 3dsMax??

Archived