Home

JK3: Macintosh Port?

mandricard

As all of you know, JediKnight3: Jedi Academy, is being developed for the PC and XBox. Although Aspyr has a good record of porting games to the Mac, especially sequels, I wanted to get a sense of what people think here given the fact that XBox is now in the mix. Does this mean further delays for a possible Mac version?

Aspyr has not officially announced it for the Mac yet. To whom should we send letters requesting its development? Aspyr? LucasArts? Raven? Who is the real decision maker in this bizarre love triangle?

JK2 is awesome, and I only hope that we Mac users do not lag behind the PC version too far: as there are many players (esp in MP) who will be stuck without their "clan-mates" or fellow MP regulars once the PC people migrate to JK3.

I suspect that Lucasarts is the one really calling the shots. The game is legally theirs, as far as I know.

I would expect a big delay in getting this game for the Mac, if it happens at all. I don't understand why Mac guys put themselves through this all the time when it comes to games.

I would expect a Mac version within 6 months of the PC release. I know Aspyr (and Westlake as the conversion house) is up to their eyes, but I think it will happen in about the same timeframe as JKII. Of course, I have no official info. Any announcement won't likely come until after the PC release. Elite Force II was an anomoly where they co-announced Mac and PC versions.

There is a definite push for the XBox version, which is sales driven. A different developer is handling that port.

And Prime, as to why Mac users do this, if you used one you'd know. I'm a multi-platform person, but I like my Mac the best - from both a hardware and software perspective. With OS X, all of my Unix needs are met, just about all of the stuff I had used NeXT for is now on OS X, and most of my Windows productivity stuff runs there (Lotus Notes, Office, statistics programs, etc). Hardware-wise, I only reboot for software updates. I close the lid at work (WiFi) and open it at home, and it finds my home WiFi.

Also, as I've said before, the Swamp level works better on my TiBook than on any other computer I own.

Mike

... oh, and on who to contact, I'd take the dual Aspyr / LEC contact approach. Couldn't hurt, might help.

Archived