Home

Q3map2 vs sofmap2

Patrick_H

Can JK2 Radiant be configured to run VIS through q3map2 instead of sofmap2? Is there a file I can tweak to change the command?

sofmap2 has been compiling just fine for me, I just wanted to see if I could see any noticeable difference. Plus after trying to install GTK Radiant, I am just not up to the headache of configuring an editor. I'd rather just work on my map!

OK. Read through the manual on q3map2. Don't understand most of it. I did figure out that it works outside Radiant- mainly through a batch file. Great. Don't know if I should bother. Did Raven use q3map2? Don't think so at this point.

Great! Just the kind of thing I was hoping for!

On a side note, anyone seen the Q3 map by Cardigan called "Estatica"?

Supposedly he used q3map2 to create some unusually complex shadows for the engine.

Lookee here! It's the sweetest map I have seen. Anywhere.

http://www.planetquake.com/cardigan/maps.html

Anyone guess how he got those amazing shadows?

I haven't gotten around to contacting him yet. I just want to know if it is possible for me to emulate this in JO.

:eyeraise: I don't even wanna KNOW how long that map took to compile.

Like he says on the main page, those shadows are made possible by using some advanced lighting options in the new version of q3map2 by ydnar. I didn't know it was possible to use the alpha channels in shaders to let light through and cast shadows though... wow.

Does anyone think the recommended specs are going to shoot through the roof if they are still using the original engine.

I hope not. My creeking PIII 450 is fine with JO but I can't play any of the new games out now. I've got a GEforce 2 MX 64MB card which helps but RS/Raven Sheild ran like a dog that had had it's brains blown out.

Here's to hoping the specs are reasonable.

Cheers

@Eldritch:

Yeah, almost anything is possible in q3map2 now. Many new q3map2 specific shader parameters have been added, including the one you were talking about: alphashadow. Here is a nice picture showing off just how uber-badass alphashadow can be. Yeah--you saw that right. That's one surface, with an alphashadow shader applied to it, that is casting that awesome shadow on the wall! No decal! Just alphashadow! Incredible. Awesome new strides have been made in lightmap scaling (how cardigan accomplishes those sexy sexy shadows) and phong shading, as well. The lightmap scaling doesn't actually hit compile times too bad, if you impliment it correctly. You only scale the lightmap for brushes that are going to be receiving the shadows that you want sharpened--if you scale the lightmap universally, yeah, render time stretches onward toward infinity, but done correctly, it's not so bad.

Wow, that is an amazing window, I didn't know that was possible. I don't really understand how all the extra functions are accomplished- even though I visited ydnar's homepage. I did contact Cardigan about his techniques, and here's what he had to say:

For q3map2 shadow goodness, make the brushes you want affected into a

func_group and add the key _lightmapscale x, where x is a scale factor such

as 0.5 for double resolution lightmaps or 0.25 for quadruple res maps. The

extremely hi-res shadows in Estatica (eg round the wall mounted lamps in the

cellar area) used 0.125, but obviously this eats up texture mem so be

careful and try and offset the damage by scaling the lightmaps up in areas

with little shadow detail, for example the bottom of the floating island in

estatica. BSP size is a good indication of how much space your lightmaps are

taking up.

I was thinking of re-creating the grates from the Detention Center in Dark Forces. In DF, they created a texture on the floor beneath the grates that simulated a cast shadow from the grating. But now I can do it for real!

ever since i saw cardigans site a few months ago i wondered why it was so feminan while it's ran by by a man. :confused: but i'm glad to hear u can make shaders like glass and grates with that light stuff now gonna help me out alot in the furure. Also u can make shadows and stuff like that with brushes if u actually want to (doubt you would) and either compialer will light it right if u put a big light behind it and not alot of light in fron of it. That ap also similar to a map i was planning on doing once jka came out but mines in a dessert with a whole bunch of other cool stuff but i want the new terrain engine. (yes i kno there is one in gtk).

but oh well the real reason i posted was i was wondering if anyone had a link to the latest version of q3map2 and could tell me how to instal it so maybe i could use it with gtk radiant..

thx in advance Lil Killa

Originally posted by Patrick_H

Cardigan's site is supposed to be a humorous take on 1950's housewives and the advertising that was made to appeal to them at the time. Duh- it's a joke!

I know but still i just found it a bit odd....

Archived