Home

MP Server Option for the SP characters

BloodRiot

Just another idea for discussion only.

What do you think about an option on MP servers that allowed only SP characters?

Imagine that you finish the SP game or are half way in it... your character will be more or less developed... perfectionists would get the best characters while others would be handicaped.

Basically the game keeps a record of the characters created (nothing to do with saved games cuz that would get exploited with the cheat codes). The server would have options for the minimum and maximum character level allowed (completed levels that translate in how much the character is developed) and the clients would be able to pick one of the characters he plays from SP and select which starting level (up to the point the character is in SP) within the range dictated by the server. Characters that do not meet the minimum level can't join of course.

In some cases this may sound unfair to some.. but as an option, you can turn it off of course... also it might motivate players into playing more SP or exploring the game further.

Cheers.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep the RPG character stuff in SP, and leave MP for the frag fests with everyone on an equal footing. Remember, some people only play the game for MP, and never touch SP. They would all be pretty pissed if they couldn't pick up the game and be able to be competative in MP right away.

Originally posted by BloodRiot

Just to clarify...this option is for SP players.. not for MP-Only players... and it's a On/Off Option... so you'd find servers for SP characters and pure MP character servers.

Oops. I missed that part :) That might be kind of neat.

I've said it before...anything that can bring something new to the table should be welcomed. I like your idea, Bloodriot, because it builds on what has already been said in some previews about the ability to use your SP character (skin/model I would presume) in MP. Carrying over your SP abilities would be a natural progression, if, as you say, it was a choice and not a necessity.

Personally, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a similar progression mechanism in MP that will exist in SP...that with each level or mission you complete in MP, you gain access to the choice of another Force power. You could have a linked theme of MP maps, with a co-operative or team-based style, and as each group of Jedi complete each map they can 'buy' their next Force power upgrade and/or weapon. The levels would necessarily have to become progressively harder, in terms of number and types of objectives to complete, and perhaps level complexity as well.

There is so much more that can be done in the MP arena to revitalise it, while retaining the vanilla modes that many crave.

Originally posted by StormHammer

There is so much more that can be done in the MP arena to revitalise it, while retaining the vanilla modes that many crave.

I couldn't agree more Stormy, I just think that some mp modes get a little boring and old really quick. It would be nice to have some new and very different options [such as this] to choose from. :)

Hetogjan, unfortunatly has a point... i think the safest way would be using master server records much like America's Army: operations.

Maybe if the record was kept in some form of code that's very hard to crack (I know jack shift about coding so im guessing here).

The game records would just keep the info on completed levels and force powers gained... If it kept a record if cheats where used to complete the level it would negate the porting to MP for the cheated levels.

No system is full proof that fer sure... oh well... if this ever get's into the game (which I doubt) it better have above average security... or it better not show up at all...since exploits liek these could really piss off alot of true players.

I remeber the how the uber powerful vampires in vampire the masquerade redemption used to plague the gamming community there... i'd hate to see that here as well.

Archived