Home

No MMO has ever had a smooth release.

UnfrozenCaveman

The title speaks for itself. No MMO has ever had a smooth release, and that's speaking from experience. Remember AO? The thing is, no matter what they plan for they never plan for enough. It's almost as if they are short minded when it comes to numbers and expectations. I'm not complaining, and frankly I was really expecting this to happen. I can't log in, I can't subscribe, but it's okay- because the game is finally on store shelves. We are finally going to see one another in game and hang out at the Gnarly Gnort and drink. Just be patient all, everything will be okay :)

There's no need to point fingers at AO, just look at EQ. A lot of people got interested in MMORPGs so late that they have no idea that EQ sucked so immensely upon release that it was unplayable for almost two months, and it is from that that the whole 'one free month' routine originates.

If you are suprised at a faulty MMORPG release, you are naive. No single MMORPG has worked as planned upon release. Sure, for you who are inexperienced with MMORPGs might be surprised, but the "pro's" out there should know better. The game, upon release, is merely a seed that eventually will grow to it's full potential. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes patches and bugfixes. Yes, it takes expansions. But this is MMORPG country, not FPS country, and it follows MMORPG rules. Love it or leave it.

If you don't know the MMORPG rules, I guess today has been a good primer. ;)

EDIT: and don't dare to come and say DAoC had a smooth release. You complain about vehicles not in SWG upon release? DAoC had entire classes being largely unplayable because their skills were not yet working, and the months after release was a nerf-fest! But that, as I said above, is to be expected.

nothing pales in comparison to World War II onlines release though. :D

I was there for the release of Ultima online, everquest and anarchy online, those were pretty bad, but WWII online... I tell you, that sucked hard! :D

and im not talking about how things were finished in DAoC, I know that, its a fact, things in the game like classes still aren't finished. But as far as creating an account and logging into the game went, it was perfect with no problems.

Some of the responses remind me of that old SNL skit "Lowered Expectations".

How many other industries can you think of that can put out half-ass products and have half of their customer base happy just to get it, even if it is nearly worthless.

Archived