Home

Update on the new War Of The Worlds Movie

Darth Groovy

Looks like they are re-working the script to allow for the sensitivity of the World Trade Center attacks, but it appears they are putting this in the original 1898 setting...nifty!

Pendragon Pictures is trying to keep this as close to the H.G. Wells classic as possible.

I am a huge fan of the original book, and I even adore the George Pal version to this day. It may be dated for some, but I encourage all of you to go and rent it if possible. It was the first epic Sci-Fi movie I saw growing up as a kid, and I have fell in love with it over the years.

Needless to say, this is probably the movie I am most looking forward too besides Star Wars: Episode III!:D

http://www.pendragonpictures.com/

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/2/10/53?pnum=1

I've been waiting for more news on this film for some time. I'm glad to see the focus is on bringing the original concept of the novel to the screen. I'm also a fan of the 50's version, which was a very good film, but I've always wanted to see those war machines striding around on three legs creating major havoc.

I just hope they can put together a really good cast and director, because it will need some very good characterisation. The book is not simply about battles and destruction...but about how mankind tries to deal with an aggressor far in advance of itself, and one man's fight for survival as the world descends into chaos around him.

The book was always an immensely enjoyable read, and I recommend it to anyone who has never read it before.

Tesla...yes, I've read the book, and saw the 1960 film of The Time Machine with Rod Taylor, which was actually quite faithful to the original material. I've not seen the remake, and I'm not sure I want to.

I can also recommend H.G. Wells' other SF works, such as The Invisible Man, The Food Of The Gods, The First Men In The Moon, The Island Of Dr. Moreau, The Shape Of Things To Come, and In The Days Of The Comet, among some others. His visions of the future were uncannily close to the mark, in some ways.

Originally posted by StormHammer

I just hope they can put together a really good cast and director, because it will need some very good characterisation. The book is not simply about battles and destruction...but about how mankind tries to deal with an aggressor far in advance of itself, and one man's fight for survival as the world descends into chaos around him.

That was my only problem with the George Pal version, I love it, but you don't get that character connection very good, and the movie is mostly driven by, "how are we gonna stop the aliens?".

I think they should let Brian Singer direct it.

Archived