Home

What can u carry??

Blademaster_109

This is not yet clear.

They have stated that there will be limited inventory and some sort of pre-mission 'load-out'. Personally, since you are supposed to be a Jedi, I hope your load-out is pretty limited: 1 saber, 1 light arm, 1 heavy arm, 1 explosive, 1 binoc ... like in SOFII.

I have no issue with using one side of the saber staff, but I think Kenn said that the blade length is not variable, so you'd have better gun defense, but have a short attack range.

But again, as I said, I hope you get only '1' saber choice - meaning single, staff or dual.

Mike

Although I hope they do allow dual/staff users to switch to single saber options, I agree that a saner loadout would make the game more interesting. One of my pet peeves about most FPS's is the insane amount of gear/guns you can take with you. Much of which I never use. I'm not a big "must be like the movie" kind of guy, but I'd like to see some limits to what you can take with you. In the movies you never see jedi with guns - which makes you wonder how they would deal with long distance threats with any efficiency, or deal with traps and the like. I like you load out idea txa.

Originally posted by Reprehence

Although I hope they do allow dual/staff users to switch to single saber options, I agree that a saner loadout would make the game more interesting. One of my pet peeves about most FPS's is the insane amount of gear/guns you can take with you. Much of which I never use. I'm not a big "must be like the movie" kind of guy, but I'd like to see some limits to what you can take with you. In the movies you never see jedi with guns - which makes you wonder how they would deal with long distance threats with any efficiency, or deal with traps and the like. I like you load out idea txa.

Wish I could take credit ... they had it in SoF, and again in SoFII, and probably many others. What those games did, however, was still allow you to collect and carry a ludicrous amount of weapons once on the mission.

I'd like to see you quite limited for the whole mission - maybe get one free slot or something.

Yes similar to FPS tactical sims; Operation Flashpoint comes to mind - you can only carry so much stuff.

Makes me think about how EF/EF2 got around that with the "personal replicators" that would beam guns in and out of your hands. Soooo Star Treky.

Yeah, we've had this discussion before - before JO was ever released, as I recall. ;)

Except this time they did mention weapon load-outs prior to each mission, which to my mind is a strong hint towards limited carrying capacity. I'd go with Mike's view on this...one of each type of weapon should be more than enough for each individual mission...considering you can probably change your loadout for the next mission.

I think this kind of thing can add different challenges, because you could choose one set of equipment the first time through a mission, and another set the next time through. I seem to recall them saying you can give up on a mission and try it again later, so that seems to suggest you can pick a different loadout the next time you can try it.

Also, as they've stated, about 70% of the combat is focused around the lightsaber, and as you will always have a lightsaber with you, I don't think the guns will have too great an impact on whether you can complete a mission successfully or not.

Besides, you can undoubtedly pick up other weapons while on a mission. I remember that with SOF you could pick up a few more weapons, but to continue weapon swapping you then had to discard some of your arsenal in favour of a new weapon. That would suit me fine, because it makes a great deal more sense.

I still wish some equipment and weapons could be shown on your character in 3rd person though. A blaster at the hip, along with a lightsaber, with two larger weapons slung across your back, a belt with five TD's on it (like the belts you picked up in JK to replenish your ammo)... Considering the ability to customise the look of your characters with a range of different clothing, it must be possible to allow for even further adjustments concerning the gear you carry... When they 'dressed' enemies in SOF2, for example, you could shoot their hats or sunglasses off...which means they were separately modelled. If they could do that in SOF2 for small cosmetic details (which thankfully alleviated the clone syndrome to an extent), then it would make sense to me to implement the same system for your weapons and other more important gear.

Of course...I don't expect it to be implemented, but it would be nice to see.

As for Elite Force 1/2...the portable transport buffer for weapons was pretty inspired and fit extremely well within the context of that universe. But it belongs only in that universe, so for other game universes without that kind of technology, it makes more sense to see your gear on your person (of course, this only applies to games that allow 3rd person views).

Seeing your equipment on would be great - unless of course you could end up carrying 10 different weapons :). It would be a nice option.

One place a special gun would be needed would be a sniper level like ns_streets. You could get by with the briar pistol, but that would be pretty hard for me - I'm not a gun type of jedi :). I can't really think of very many other places where a particular gun was really necessary.

This load out thing sounds pretty cool imo, but it will probably only matter lightsaber wise. Because you'll be picking up the weapons of those you kill.

And if JA is anything like JO, then the best weapons will come toward the end anyway, eliminating any real need for weapon preference ( at least gun wise) or sp.

Originally posted by Blademaster_109

It might be bad though if u fail a mission and u know that there are snipers every where, then the next time u play u would be kinda cheating.

Well, you could say the same if you played halfway through the level and died. You would still know where the enemies are next time you reload to play it again...and again...

It's just that in JA you're given the option of abandoning a particular mission to try it later, rather than being forced to complete levels in a completely linear fashion, and possibly getting stuck.

Anyway, if they were to adopt a similar mission style to NOLF2's Siberia mission, it would be a lot better. In NOLF2 you knew you would encounter particular enemies...but you were never sure where they were at any given time, because they kept moving around. I'd prefer that kind of thing in JA...so each time you play a level, it's not exactly the same...

Originally posted by StormHammer

Anyway, if they were to adopt a similar mission style to NOLF2's Siberia mission, it would be a lot better. In NOLF2 you knew you would encounter particular enemies...but you were never sure where they were at any given time, because they kept moving around. I'd prefer that kind of thing in JA...so each time you play a level, it's not exactly the same...

I very much agree with that ... for any game. Newer games, with very few exceptions, are bad about this. It isn't just spawn points, it is actual enemy locations - some of it in JKII would be hard to lose because of the discussions, but they could be talking in different spots.

And yes we discussed this prior to JO ... I'm glad to see it happening now, and I think it will be SoFII-ish, which means we won't see out inventory on our body because you *can* pick up 10 weapons (given loadout of one pistol, one MG, one shotgun, one explosive, 1 binoc, you can end up with 2 pistols, 3 machine guns, 2 shotguns, sniper rifle, etc). Personally, I'd like to see the load-out amount enforced - perhaps add one or two things.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Personally, since you are supposed to be a Jedi, I hope your load-out is pretty limited: 1 saber, 1 light arm, 1 heavy arm, 1 explosive, 1 binoc ... like in SOFII.

I'd also like to see something like this. I like the idea of having to select what weapons you wanted to take on a mission, and it would vary depending on the nature of the task.

Originally posted by Prime

I'd also like to see something like this. I like the idea of having to select what weapons you wanted to take on a mission, and it would vary depending on the nature of the task.

Yes, and you could reselect you weapons if you found you chose wrong, but wouldn't that be part of the challenge - going in saber only and getting only what you can rip from corpses you've sliced ?!? The mission needs sniping - you'd better hope you find a Rodian with a disruptor pretty quickly ...

Also, I believe that in SoFII, even if you load from 'start of mission' you don't get the load-out screen again. I'm not sure ... I've never tried. Anyone confirm?

Mike

Archived