Home

Open Jedi Project

razorace

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on my experience in making JediMod opensource here are my recommendations:

1. Put the source on a server that you have full control of and make everyone sign up to get access to the source. This way you can keep people from getting the source code if you don't want them to have it (trust me you will wish some people didn't have your source code).

2. Comment the code, and comment it well. Comments will make it easier for everyone to add on.

3. Document and make it so it is easy to find if your a computer newbie. Otherwise your email will be spamed by people that don't know how to turn on dual sabers or get a white screen because they don't have the latest patch. The documentation can be there but most people wont read it if it isn't on their desktop or something.

4. Become friends with the raven people that help mod developers, it would have been cool if one of them could have told me how the ghoul engine worked, I did a lot of random guessing (I'm still amazed jedimod didn't cause a memory leak).

5. Give people credit for what they do, its motivational.

6. Become friends with artists because they can make your mod that much cooler.

Woah, it's Dest! How's it going? Haven't heard from you in a long time. You considering doing anything for JKA?

I agree with everything you said but I'm not sure we have the resources to have a secure, closed server. Plus, how are you suppose to know if some new person is going to turn into your worse nightmare or not? Obviously the write command will be restricted to trusted individuals but I'm not sure there's much we can do about restricting access to the code directly for the above reason.

Our restrictions would probably come on the publishing side. If someone is being a smacktard, we just wouldn't let them post anything with our code in it. I've found that most of the main download sites seem to be very understanding about this.

Anyway, I'm reading up on my CVS and getting ready to get a sourceforge account set up for the project.

• 1 month later...

Archived