Home

Open Jedi Project

razorace

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I figured. :)

Ok, well, I'll looking to writing up a rough draft for the SOL and check out hosting options.....unless someone else wants to handle one or the other.

As for hosting, I think we should make sure whereever we end up has 24/7 CVS support because A) I want to learn how to use it and B) it would really help out for a project like this.

I have no idea. It's all C code, it's not some funky scripting language, so I don't see why not. I'm registering right now, and they did have a "Game Software" category. We'll have to see if the accept it or not.

For right now, we gotta figure out what license to use. Please come to #OJP on irc.holonet.org as soon as you can.

I think we have a problem. The game code from JO/JA is protected under their EULA, I don't think we can distribute it under another license. :(

Looks like we may have to get hosted somewhere else or set up our own CVS.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a CVS set up somewhere. I was reading over SourceForge's stuff, they didn't seem like they'd have a problem, but you'd have to have it under an Open Source License, which is a problem, as Emon pointed out.

(btw emon, my flagrant abuse of the letters 'M' 'O' and 'D' were an attempt to rile you up, good job not getting riled up)

I can get us hosting at Massassi, by far the fastest and most reliable host among the community.

:D

MOD = wrong.

Mod = right.

MOD = wrong.

Mod = right.

MOD = wrong.

Mod = right.

MOD = wrong.

Mod = right.

MOD = wrong.

Mod = right.

Dear Raven Software Employees,

I've been looking @ the JK2 game source code license to prepare a distribution license for my community project OJP (Open Jedi Project). The purpose of OJP is to allow members of the community create a standardized code platform that adds additional features to JKA that Raven software is unable to do on their own.

However, as I've been reading the JK2 game source code license I've noticed an issue with the legalese.

You agree that the Software will not be shipped, transferred or exported into any country in violation of the U.S. Export Administration Act (or any other law governing such matters) by you or anyone at your direction and that you will not utilize and will not authorize anyone to utilize, in any other manner, the Software in violation of any applicable law. The Software shall not be downloaded or otherwise exported or re-exported into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods or to anyone or into any country who/which are prohibited, by applicable law, from receiving such property.

In English, it means you're not suppose to distribute this software to countries that the US have trade embargoes on, like Cuba. However, by the very nature of the internet, we don't really have control over this. This means that we're not technically suppose to post the game code on the internet as a download as someone from a embargoed nation could download it. This is a serious problem as we, the public, want/need to be able to legally distribute these sorts of files over the internet.

The document seems to have been cut and paste hacked together from other LEC/Raven legal documents. It's very confusing and bounces around the actual point of establishing the user's and the owner's rights.

In addition, would having a publicly accessible CVS server for our project count as a violation of Section 2, i?

i. publicly display the Software;

I understand you guys are simply game developers and not part of LEC/Raven legal, but I figured you guys might be able to help.

Thanks for your time,

Razor Ace

Activision and LucasArts, you are correct. However, they don't seem to give a **** about us, where as Raven has helped us in the past. Since you seem to know so much, why don't you figure out a better way to solve the problem?

i plan on doing a damage reporting mod (kind of like statsme in CS i think) with differant settings like give stats after death, after game is over, or during actual combat. if you want something like that in your mod i wouldn't mind adding it in.

also, you might think its useless for a game like JO, but from what i've heard from some people it might be quite usefull in JA.

I've been doing thinking, and I think we should make the mod entirely for developers, with no gameplay changes by default.

Why? Well, I was thinking OJP should maybe be more like an open source programming library, like the STL for C++, which any good C++ programmer uses. One of the great things about the original JK was that you could have all sorts of code that only worked on a per-level basis, so you could code some new fancy door or elevator, or AI, and not need to turn on any mods. This was due to being able to load any kind of code right into the level editor. JA has ICARUS in MP, which will help somewhat, but it's still not perfect. You can't add new entities without making it a mod. So my idea was that we could have, in addition to mod specific things like new hit detection and all that, custom entities that developers can use in their levels. Hopefully OJP could become somewhat of an unofficial engine patch, so to speak, in which, ideally, all servers would run. If we keep away from gameplay modifications, server admins that want vanilla gameplay can turn it on and use custom maps that use it.

I have two projects which I'm planning for JA. First is my Battle of Hoth Siege map, which is on the showcase forum right now. Second is an SW weapons mod. The weapons in JO/JA aren't original, but that's not the real problem. The problem is that the implimentation of them was flawed. You should be able to use the E-11 on the scope, thermal detonators should vaporize anything in their radius, the repeater should be more like the DF and JK one, etc., kind of reverting the JA weapons to be more true to SW and stuff. If it were successful, you could slap on "Made on OJP!" as a promo. Same goes with my Hoth map, I'm going to need new code for the AT-ATs and other things.

What do you guys think of that? Sorry for bit of rant, so ask if you need anything clarified.

Oh, and I haven't contacted SF because I was waiting your response from Raven. Have you gotten one yet?

Archived