Home

regarding Jedi Master difficulty setting...

murad

hello every1,

i've started a new game and dared to select Jedi Master instead of something more easier which will save me some hair. :D i really don't think that it is possible for me to finish jk2 at all judging by how torturing was the very 1st level. i can imagine what will happen if i keep on. originally i am a hardcore flight sim junkie (falconite :D) and by default i add lead (a lot usually when things get intense) while shooting blasters, also am suffering target fixation (damn those white rabid bucketheads! :D :D) so any hints from you guys? or should i leave it and start allover with lesser difficulty for good?!? you know, charging droids with 3percent life with no shield and one finger constantly on f12 is not pleasent at all..

tia.

If you are good at flight sims but new to first person shooters (FPS), you will have to learn some new skills, but at least it will be fun. I started gaming with TIE Fighter (a Star Wars flight sim) and had to learn all over again when I started playing DOOM. First of all, flight sims use joystick and keyboard. Most FPS players use mouse and keyboard, and I strongly recommend making the switch. You are probably used to a joystick festooned with buttons, so get a 5-button mouse. In the first part of the game you have no Force powers or lightsaber, so it's pretty much a typical gun-based FPS. As the game goes on you get a lightsaber and more and more Force powers, and you will find a 5-button mouse makes things much easier. I use the mousewheel for Force Push and Pull. Assign buttons 3-5 to your favorite force powers. Your control configuration is critical, start with the defaults but dont hesitate to customize it to your needs. For instance, if you are used to a joystick, you will definitely prefer an "inverted mouse". Go to Controls, Mouse\Joystick, Invert Mouse: Yes. That way when you pull back on the mouse your point of view will pitch up, just like a joystick. You will find that when using blasters, the repeater rifle, and the rocket launcher that leading your target at long range actually helps, so you are OK there. But the Disrupter rifle has 0 flight time, so you want to have 0 lead. I prefer 3rd person view (press P) because it gives me better situational awareness. And if you are new to FPS games, definitely start on the easiest setting (Padawan) and SAVE your game often. Save everytime you survive a tough fight or solve a tough puzzle, so you dont have to do it all over again if you die 5 minutes later. Playing at the easiest level will minimize the chance you will get frustrated and give up. Play several episodes (levels) till you get the hang of it, then start over at a higher difficulty level (but NOT Jedi Master, lol!). Good luck and have fun!

thank u all for your replies. :)

yup i use a hotas (hands on throttle and stick) while simming so virtually no keyboard pressing on my behalf happens therefore i may have to go out and look for a more expensive mouse for shooters eh?!

any recommendations would be welcome... :)

I agree with Bilbo that a 3-button mouse is a minimum, but if you are used to HOTAS, then you will be happier with a 5-button mouse (I often wish my 5-button mouse had more buttons. Well actually, it has 8 buttons but they dont all function in Jedi Outcast). You want an OPTICAL mouse so you dont have to worry about cleaning the mouse, but DO NOT get a wireless mouse, they are not as fast or precise as a wired mouse. Also, DO NOT install the Intellimouse or other mouse software that comes with it because it might make the extra buttons not function in the game. I bought 5-button wired optical mice by Microsoft, Logitech, and Memorex, and I settled on the Logitech, but it's a matter of personal preference. Make sure it is comfortable in your hand because you will end up playing for hours at a time. If you want to spoil yourself get a 3M Precise Mousing Surface mousepad. Optical mice dont need a pad, but the 3M pad has a special reflective surface that aids optical mouse precision, and it has a built-in wrist pad, which is nice because, again, you will end up playing for hours at a time. Another possibility is an optical trackball, like those made by Logitech. Some players swear by them because they allow them to turn (yaw) farther and quicker than a mouse would. I haven't used one so I don't know.

There are 2 basic moves that you MUST master to play a FPS game: strafe and circle strafe (no, it isn't the same as strafing in a P-47 or F-16, lol). Strafing is simply sidestepping to the left or right. It allows you to pop out from behind cover (like the corner of a hallway), shoot, then strafe (sidestep) back to the safety of cover. You will find that especially useful when getting past fixed gun turrets or camped out snipers. In the open, constantly strafing side-to-side makes you a moving target that is much harder to hit. Of course, you have to keep your crosshair on the target at the same time. I have my keyboard set with Q and A to sidestep left, and E and D to sidestep right, with W for forward and S for backwards. Circle strafing is a combination of side strafing and short forward motions so you end up circling a target that you are aiming at. On the first level, after you and Jan have cleared out the first wave of Stormtroopers, practice circle strafing Jan. Keep your crosshair on her as you circle her. Make sure you can circle strafe equally well to the left or right. Another thing you can do is start Multiplayer Game from the first Menu instead of Single Player game. Select Controls and set up your keyboard and mouse the first time, then select Play, Create Server, gametype Free for All, map Bespin Streets, maximum players 2. Make player 1 "human" (you), then select a "bot" (computer controlled character) to practice against. Begin the game, run around and pick up some weapons, then practice circle strafing and side-strafing attacks on the bot. If you die, press your primary attack (mouse 1) button and you come right back to life to practice some more. Do play the Single Player game through to the end before tackling multiplayer gameplay, because it is fun, and you will become experienced with the lightsaber, guns, and Force powers. The single player game actually does a very nice job of letting you learn those things progressively. When you are ready to try multiplayer, create your own server as I described above, but add more bots, and increase their skill level as you become better. Use only Desann, Luke, and Lando bots because they are the most capable. The basic rule in multiplayer is ALWAYS KEEP MOVING. If you stop moving every time you start shooting you will get killed. In fact, always keep moving in all 3 dimensions is an even better rule. With Force Jump you can really jump high, so use that capability to make yourself a constantly hunting predator and moving target. When you are able to win consistently against several Desann and Luke bots at the Jedi Master skill level, then you will be ready to try online multiplayer. Be prepared for a shock, because human opponents are much better than bots (well, most of them are anyway, lol). Good luck, and may the Force be with you, etc. etc.

I have a 3 button mouse w/ wheel that works fine. Well four if you count the wheel which can be pressed down. I actually find that the wire gets in my way since it causes drag. Actually I have both a wireless keyboard and mouse and they work great. The mouse is actually uses the ball and it is pretty acurate. I also have an optical which is very jerky. Both mice and keyboard are Logitech. I haven't used the newer opitcals though. I heard that the Logitech® MX™700 Cordless Optical Mouse is good and is precise. I might give that a try and get back to you all on how that is going after I use that for my new rig. I'm all about wireless :D Don't rule that out just yet. ;)

Archived