Home

Deciding on doing a Mod 2

EdwardL

I'm doing this off the top of my head, so there may be a few mistakes. The way I might do it would be using the npcs.cfg file. This file holds all the information for each NPC in JO. For each entry, you will see a "sound" variable. The value for this variable is the directory for the sounds for the character.

I can't remember the directory structure, but suppose in the assets0.pk3, all the sound files for each characters are in something like:

sound/player/stormtrooper

sound/player/kyle

sound/player/jan

and so on...

In the npcs.cfg, you will see "stormtrooper", "kyle", and "jan" respectively for the sound directory. Make sense?

So for your new sounds, make a new directory in the "sound/player" (or whatever it is) tree. Once you have that, edit the npcs.cfg entry for the ugnaught to point to this new directory. For example:

new directory:

sound/player/my_ugnought

in npcs.cfg:

ugnaught

{

// bunch of other variables

sound my_ugnaught

// bunch of other variables

}

Now in that directory, you put your new sounds with the same names as the ones you are trying to replace. Then zip all this up into its own .pk3 directory and put is in the GameData/base folder.

Hope that helps a little bit anyways... :)

I can't find the npcs.cfg!

And the soudns ain't in assets0 but in assets1, and not in sounds\player, but in sounds\chars.

Please double check your knowlage... Thanks!

And yes, mainly for MP (since I haven't heard the once in SP, and I don't think they make any sound in SP).

/Edward

Yes, sounds and text are inside assets1. I believe it has something to do with the fact that both sound and text comes in 3 different languages.

npcs.cfg won't help you if you are trying to change the MP sounds (I would have told you how, but I'm too tired for this)

BTW, npcs.cfg is inside assets0 inside ext_data

awww... c'mon people read the goddamn readme that comes with the tools (don't start asking where they are)

make a new cfg file in the ugnhaughtmhvhf folder or edit the existing one to something like this

chars/mynewsounds/misc

f

then you make a new folder in the chars folder called mynewsounds in there a folder called misc then paste in your sounds now zippit and rename it into pk3

Well, the readmes did not contain anything about where things are, and when I looked at the NPCs config file under ext_data, there was already a snd = ugnaught, and when I added that file to my folder, and then made it a PK3 file with pakscape, no change... My folder looks like this:

Ugnaut

|

+-botfiles

|.......ugnaught.jkb

|.......bots.txt

+-ext_data

|........npcs.cfg

+-sounds

....+-chars

........+-ugnaught

............+-misc

..................and all standard mp3s, Inc. taunt.mp3

So there should be some change when I press the taunt key...

The mp3s are of 22khz, stereo, with 128kbs

/Edward

OK, I'll list all that's in the sound\char\ugaught\misc:

choke1.mp3

choke2.mp3

choke3.mp3

death1.mp3

death2.mp3

death3.mp3

falling1.mp3

jump1.mp3

land1.mp3

pain100.mp3

pain25.mp3

pain50.mp3

pain75.mp3

taunt.mp3

Anything missing? And should they be of different quality?

Bitrate can be anything if you encode them to .mp3 but they NEED to be sampled at 44khz.

If nothing else seems to work, why not extract the ugnaught model from the assets file and add your own sound to its directory structure?.

Exactly like you would do for a custom player model. The engine should use your new .pk3 instead of the default model.

Archived