Home

CD-R's useless after 20 months?

A Dutch PC magazine has tested several CD-R's. They burned data on them, put them in their original jewel cases and stored them in a closed (dark) closet. After 20 months they came up with the following results:

10 percent of the CD-R's lost pieces of data and some of them weren't readable at all. The rest of their CD-R's caused small reading problems, but they were still able to access all of the data.

It appears that CD-R's made in Japan are the better ones, because their production processes live up to more strict requirements. CD-R's from Taiwan or China are performing very poorly.

20 months is not a very long time. I'm wondering what happens to these CD-R's after 30 or 40 months. I don't even keep my CD-R's in a closed cabinet!

I've not experienced any reading errors with my old CD-R's thus far, although I'm not sure how old my oldest CD would be. However, the CD-R's I'm using in my car's cd-player already give up after 6 months probably because they are exposed to heat/cold/moist.

--Erwin

hmm. i have a few CD-Rs that are about that old. haven't noticed any problems with them... yet.

if it were really an issue, i think we would have heard people complaining about it before now. but, a controlled study is hard to argue with.

i definitely agree that some CD-Rs are better than others. i used to work for a software startup and we distributed our demo software to potential customers on CDs. it was sometimes my job to make the CDs. i once bought a stack of Office Depot brand because they were cheaper... what a mistake that was! one in every three or four had to be tossed out because it was unusable (and that was brand new!)

-emily

well....i believe the cd-r's life is something that is not controlled. Many thinks...like temperatures, sun, crashes etc can harm the cd far before its day of death ;) And of course there is also the companies quality of the CD-Rs..

What i would like to know is....

In the experiment...have they used cd-rs of the same company?

Archived