Home

Gays and Church

The Cheat

Yeah,I've never understood a religion that is about God. Considering each person's relation to him is going to be unique(Well,unless you are an athesist, then you agree with alot of other people.:p), it's rather odd for someone have to listen to a book to hear God.

I'd rather just read the philosophy and fables of the different religions. Seems better than taking both the bad and the good in a religion.

As for the homosexual thing, it's wrong. They're basically saying that homosexuality is a sin(which I guess could be true in the bible, but I'd hardly think it was wrong) and that the Bishop cannot be sinful. However, isnt it part of man's nature to sin according to the bible? If that's the case, then I dont see why the gay bishop cant be a bishop.

I think it's just a case of people being homophobic.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now I could be wrong but didn't Christ preach "Love thy enemy and hate their sin"?

Not in those precise words, but Jesus spent time with sinners of all kinds, and taught his disciples to "love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you" and to "love your neighbor as your self." My favorite quote is the one where Jesus is asked how many times to forgive a brother who sins against him. The person asks "Seven times?" but the reply he recieves is "seven times seventy times."

also didn't Christ socialize and befriend the social outcasts which in those days were homosexuals, islamics (in some areas), prostitutes, and some form of non jewish sect that I can't remember.

Yes, although I should correct you here, there were no followers of the Islamic religion, because Islam was not founded until over five centuries later with Muhammad (of course in popular Muslim philosophy, they often define "Muslim" as historically anybody who worships the one true God, so in that sense Muslims have existed since Adam & Eve, even if they didn't call themselves that).

As to homosexuals, they aren't mentioned, but I think Jesus would have a similar attitude towards them as he would towards the woman caught in adultery ("then neither do I judge you... go and sin no more.").

I distinctly remember hearing speeches about how all of god's children will be lifted to heaven if they repent their sins, and if they just accept the one true god. and live by the gospel of christ.

Right again. The key word here though is repentence. The original issue was whether or not a gay priest who was living with another man (ie: "openly gay") could be made a bishop the Episcopal Church (or rather should he be, and if not why not, etc).

I think in the eyes of people who view homosexual sex as sinful, they see him as unrepentant (of course a less judgemental viewpoint would be that he doesn't realize its wrong, but then if he's confused about the teachings of his own church, what makes him a qualified leader in it?).

I never distinctly heard christ condemn them.

Yes, Jesus reserved his condemnations for people who were hypocritical about their faith and lording it over others.

I also remember hearing christians stating that the old testament is void compared to all things spoken by christ.

This part is hard to understand for non-Christians. The common view is that Jesus "fulfilled" the Old Testament (the Jewish Law) through his life, teachings and resurrection.

Essentially what this boils down to is that Jesus's re-interpretations of the Law are considered authoritative by Christians, rather than the law as stated in the OT. Otherwise you can point out that the vast majority of Christians are breaking the law because they wear clothing of mixed types, eat pork, do any kind of labor on Saturdays, don't stone people to death for adultery, etc.

Of course there are a small minority of Christians who say that you DO have to follow the letter of the law in the OT in order to be a true Christian, but even these people still pick and choose what to interpret literally and what to gloss over or re-interpret.

Understanding the role of Jesus as Messiah is easier if you understand the Old Testament and what came before, but other than that, it doesn't help to understand Christian theology much, for the layman.

Archived