Home

Dark Forces II Enhanced (JK Mod) Discussion

J_Bond

Originally posted by J_Bond

What's about the cutscenes of Jedi Knight? I found these "real" movies pretty cool, but are you able to use them on the MOD, too? Or would you try to make cutscenes by yourself using the game-engine like in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy?

ok cutsceens how where going to do them for now

Pre renderd in 3dmax/softimage etc

scripted in game

sorry for the short and sweet awnser im off to get coffee

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@reaper1576

Originally posted by reaper1576

ok cutsceens how where going to do them for now

Pre renderd in 3dmax/softimage etc

scripted in game

sorry for the short and sweet awnser im off to get coffee

Thank you for your answer, but I didn't understand anything. Please try to give me a much more detailed answere because my English isn't so perfect. What do you mean with "how where going to do for now"? Would you use the movie scenes?

Don't take my word for it, but from what I understand: No.

They will make the movies like they appear in JO and JA, but the ship exteriors and special affects like that will be prerendered in some graphics program. Await confirmation on that before you believe it ;)

I personally liked the movies, but lots of people disliked them. There was discussion on how they should have gotten the actors/ actresses back to reprise their roles for JO.

thx Katarn07! It would be a pitty if the movies weren't be used. I found that they gave the whole game a special atmosphere. But when the cutscenes are going to be recreated with it still would be a better solution than no cutscene.

we will be recreating all the cutsceen as well as possible

And and there's no copyright stuff by creating a Dark Forces or Jedi Knight MOD? I think it shouldn't be a problem when I extract these movie files because i own this game, and it shouldn't make a difference if I watch the movies in the game or dircetly via a movie player. I just would like to see the movies without installing the game again thats all.

But if all the people who don't have the original DF/JK/MotS and download a mod that has original content may cause a problem.

Therefore we may only use our own content. Recreating textures makes them partially our property. And you still need the original JO/JA game...

Remember, our primary objective is to recreate the maps using the JO/JA engine, not a total conversion of the whole game.

You could consider the cutscenes - if there be any - as bonus :p

Really, I do understand you, and the last thing I want is that you are getting trouble with copyright issues. But the thing with the movies is just for me. I just want to see the movies alone. Perhaps somebody could help me. And I don't believe that answering on my question could cause any trouble to somebody. I would like to accent that my question doesn't have to do anything with this site or any MOD-Project, it's just personally.

Absolutely, J-Bond. Just get the RAD video tools here the movies are in Smacker format (smk files), and the tools will let you convert them to pretty much anything. I too was ecstatic when I found out about this, because if you play your cards right, you can edit them... [evil snicker.] My face on Kyle's body... [Another evil snicker.]

@I.M.H.D.

I've installed the RAD video tools, and it worked. I even don't have to convert the movie files, I can play them directly from the CD. Thank you again! Perhaps, the creators of the Jedi Knight MOD could use this program to put the movies in the MOD, if there are no copyright problems of course.

Originally posted by The_One

Why they never used the Bink format for Jedi Outcast (and Jedi Academy) is beyond me. Binks are far superior to the dreadful ROQ. format.

think its some thing to do with the q3a engine as MOHAA uses roq EF1 & 2 also do aswell seems like its the standard for the engine but EF2 dont use manny roq files most stuffs done in engine and that game has some nice sceens

@I.M.H.D.

I've installed the RAD video tools, and it worked. I even don't have to convert the movie files, I can play them directly from the CD. Thank you again! Perhaps, the creators of the Jedi Knight MOD could use this program to put the movies in the MOD, if there are no copyright problems of course.

I am sure there are copyrights on that one, but maybe an instruction readme how to insert them if you are priveledged and own the original game? I don't care, I like it either way :D

As far as I understand, LucasArts doesn't mind the Dark Forces Mod at all, and I don't see why it would be any different for Jedi Knight. If anything, the mods will actually help LucasArts both by boosting sales of JA and reintroducing people to DF and JK. I doubt too many people are thinking about buying the older games now so that the mods would convince them not too, but people playing the mod might think about buying the real game if they don't already have it. Perhaps one of the leaders of the DFMOD knows more about the copyright issues.

Originally posted by SlicerDude

As far as I understand, LucasArts doesn't mind the Dark Forces Mod at all, and I don't see why it would be any different for Jedi Knight. If anything, the mods will actually help LucasArts both by boosting sales of JA and reintroducing people to DF and JK. I doubt too many people are thinking about buying the older games now so that the mods would convince them not too, but people playing the mod might think about buying the real game if they don't already have it. Perhaps one of the leaders of the DFMOD knows more about the copyright issues.

Oh, we know of the legal contracts with LEC and mod making. *thinks back to April 1st* I printed that screen out, by the way. Got it in my desk in a pile of useless paperwork :p

However, we are talking cutscenes LEC had originally made. See my avatar/ icon? Mr. Bond would like those used over newly created ones. I am saying that has to have some copyright issues to it ;)

I guess I forgot to mention that I don't see much difference between remaking the cutscenes and copying them straight from the game. Sure, remaking them takes much more work, but the narrative would remain the same. It's kinda like the difference between photocopying the Lord of the Rings and making a movie of it, except for LOTR. Anyway, like I said, I'm not really an expert on copyright stuff, so don't take my word for it. What they'd probably have to do is ask LucasArts.

That said, even if the cutscenes could be taken straight from JK, they would keep the same, somewhat low, video quality. I personally would prefer the original FMV cutscenes, but I'd also like the video quality to improve with the graphics of the rest of the game. I'd like it best if we got LucasArts to donate higher quality versions of the cutscenes so they can be in the mod-of course, the copyright issue would be solved then. :)

In the end, I think I'll just leave it to the modders. I'm looking forward to seeing the website (eventually). Good luck!

While I like the nostalgia of the original videos, the low resolution video and copyright issues seems to make remaking them, in-engine, a better choice. But, one question, what about voice? Will you have to find people to do the voices, or will you just use text?

@eelektrik1138

That's a very good question! It wouldn't make sense if you extract the voice from the movie, because of the copyright issue. And just using text, I don't know if I would like it. What's about the music? I suppose that you will use the original Star Wars music, but isn't there a copyright issue, too? I hope that you will use the movies anyhow. I don't think that the quality is so bad, and it would be more easier than creating new cutscenes.

@Katarn07

I really like your avatar icon. It looks much better than your old one :)

Thanks Bond. I think all my avatars have been some sort of picture of Kyle from a JK cutscene save for the original Red stormie from the DF box art, that action figure of Kyle, and Cate Archer from No One Lives Forever II :p

Voice acting? The DF mod is using the original voices, not sure about the JK one....

And as for music? The stuff for DF is all recreated and credit is given where due to the composers (John and Clint) so the JK one will have no problem in doing so.

And as for asking LEC? Both mod teams have done that well over a year ago when they started this, but I am under the impression they do no respond. Let a team member confirm that ;)

Archived