Home

Returned JA To EB For Full Refund

CriPPleR

I returned my Jedi Academy to EB since my brother works there. He is also warning people that have ATI cards that they might experince problems with the game crashing.

I will keep an eye out on the forums to see if this gets fixed, if it does I will be happy to purchase it when it is working. No longer will I buy a game and wait for a patch so it can run on a system that triples the recommended system specs.

Something funny happened when I went to get a refund on JA at EB. There was a guy there demanding a refund on JA and the sales guy was like sorry we can give you another copy to try if you like but we can't give you a refund. He then whiped out print outs of differnt forums showing LOTS of people having problems with JA crashing and he got his refund.

I had no problem getting my refund since I was droping my brother off to work and his co-worker just gave a refund for the same problem.

Hopefully Ravan and ATI can get JA working so I can re purchase it and enjoy it the way I am sure the devs wanted us to.

To everyone who think it is a problem with my config, trust me when I say it is not. I tried everything. I turned Dynamic Glow and Lighting off.. I lowerd the textures and res, I even reformated my HD and updated all my hardware drivers and I still have the issues.

I picked up Splinter Cell with the cash I got back for JA and It runs perfect. I played it for 3 hours stright last night and it did not crash or slow down once and I had the res at 1600x1280 with EVERYTHING maxed and I got unbeliveable FPS. I can do this with most my games.(Raven Shield, MOA:AA, SOF 1 and 2, Unreal Tornument 2003, Unreal 2, Wc3:FT, RocW:ET, etc.

-CriPPleR

Radeon 9800pro

AMD XP 3000+

1gig System Ram

Windows XP Home

I've been reading about this issue from time to time. I read on the raven fourms (I think th at's where it was, I've been everywhere) and they said that install Cataylist 3.0, would fix this on the 9700 cards, and up. I have a 9200 and it runs perfectly. Again, not sure exactly where I found this, but keep looking because I know it's out there.

Thanks for the info, DarkangelFOG.

The problem is that if some how the cat 3.0 drivers fix JA, it will break all my other games or slow them down at the very least.

I already went back to 3.6 just for JA, and I will consider going back to 3.5 if it fixed the crashes, but I will not go back to a 3.0 and lose performence in every game I own just for JA not to crash. I rather not bother with JA till ATI fixes it in a new driver or Raven fixes it in a patch.

I was just on the phone with a friend of mine who picked up the game yesterday and he wanted to play some muti player. When I told him my problem I was having he said that he gets the same problem but only when he plays for over an hour. He is running it on a geforce Ti-4200. I am guessing that JA has a memory leak and it is just mutiplied on ATI cards.

Thanks again for the info.

CriPPleR-

I found 2 more forums that have LOTS of people have the same problems and more.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33709069&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

http://www.jedi-outcast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9955

I got a reply from ATI and he said that the crashes seem to be do to a memory leak and has to be delt with by the games dev team.

He also said that the "flashing" is being investigated and most likely is a driver issue.

I hope you are right Gabrobot, I really would love to play JA.

I've got an ATI 9700 pro and its working great :)

But, ya...you did a good move picking up Splinter Cell...great game.

I have a question about it. Are you Running Splinter Cell with

Anti-Aliasing? There was an issue with ATI and Anti-Aliasing that

would make the light glows all screwy. Has that been fixed? or are

you playing without Anti-Aliasing on?

I love that game to death...but don't really play anymore because

of that glitch. Also the Shadows didn't look as good as it did with

an nVidia card I had before getting my 9700 :(

Don't get me wrong...I know ATI's Cards have superior IQ in most

cases...but in Splinter Cell...they seem to have been left behind.

(game coding specific for nVidia cards maybe)

Anyways...Let me know what your Experience is with Splinter Cell.

Maybe they fixed this Issue with a driver release I didn't know about.

IMF-Arel-

Arel,

I am really enjoying Splinter Cell. Did not know what to expect since it was a created for xbox but the cotrols and graphics are outstanding. I still would rather be slicing up Tusken Radiers with a light saber!

As for AA I really did not notice if it worked or not since I never use it on games that I run at 1600x1280. On my brothers PC(geForce Ti 4600) I must admit the the shadows looked better. Mostly do to the shadows that reflect on Sam on(Nvidia hardware) instead of through Sam.(ATI) Splint Cell ran much faster and IQ was better on my system tho so no biggie. The next Splinter Cell will be using ATI DX9 for Shadows so that is somthing to look foward to.

I still wish I was force choking a Jawa!

CriPPleR

you also have to remember that 8X AGP technology is still in its infancy.

Im still running my Radeon 8500 on 4X bus,maxed graphics, lighting nothing is disabled and have no problems whatsoever.

My IT buddy warned me about this over a year ago.

Wait for second ,third,fourth generation 8X AGP.

Its a terrible feeling when PCs crash, or won't run games, or become obsolete, it's like getting old in human terms...

I am so glad my laptop has made no trouble for me(with a Geforce 5200 64mb), and lets me run at 1600x1200, with 60 fps with dynamic glow off, 30fps with it on !

yeah, hope raven can come up with some fixes for all the people having trouble, particularly with ATI cards....bugger

Also, what the heck does this mean :

D00L MEEEZZZZZ!!!!!!!1

MTFBWYA

Anyone tried returning the opened package for JA to Best Buy ? Most places won't accept returns of opened software. They really need top start labeling stuff prominently when they put this screwy copy protection on it that won't work on many people's systems.

Yes, there seems to be trouble with dynamic glow on some ATI cards, and it appears to be inconsistant. Sometimes I got it, sometimes I didn't. I think reverting to Catalyst 3.4 fixed my problem, as well as a lot of problems in many games, because quite frankly, everything after 3.4 has been really ****ty for me.

Dynamic glow is a per-pixel blurring type effect for lights. It makes stuff glow, basically, and makes the light bleed around corners, similar to Splinter Cell or HL2. Very nice effect.

I think the problem lies in the fact that OpenGL extensions aren't standardized, there are different exentions for ATI and nVidia cards. This would explain why reverting to Catalyst 3.0 fixes it. It was probably coded during older driver releases, so this isn't entirely Raven's fault, I mean it's not like they were incompetant, the lack of extension standardization is a pain in the ass for a lot of developers, and is the main reason newer games like HL2 run on Direct3D (this is supposed to change in future versions of OpenGL, if you wondered).

So in short, please cut Raven a little slack. Partly because it's not entirely their fault, but mostly because it's annoying, insulting, and doesn't need to be here.

Edit: And to add to that, I see a lot of games released with critical bugs. They get overlooked, it happens. Game development isn't easy, and it's not hard for things to slip through the cracks. I don't see people raving about how other developers suck because the game doesn't run perfect on their system, so no reason to do it here.

Look guys, there's a million possible hardware/sotware configurations out there. Raven cannot test them all. I have an Radeon 9700 and this game runs like a dream for me. Here is a lesson that you people must learn now before you continue as a gamer. DO NOT DOWNLOAD NEW DRIVERS UNTIL YOU KNOW THEY ARE STABLE. I have been reminded of this repeatedly on DirectX fiascos, but the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me was Tribes 2. I'd explain that little qualification, but the rage it would induce is just not worth it.

I am currently using DirectX 9.0 with the Catalyst 3.6 drivers. I read that the new DX is buggy and I've heard that the new Catalysts are buggy, therefore I do not use them. Everything I have in my system is at least 2 years old aside from memory and the vid card and I get to run everything maxed at 1024 x 768.

So before you run screaming to Raven's door or return games that seemingly don't work do some research. It pays off in the long run.

Oh yeah, and never ever buy Tribes 2.

EVER.

Originally posted by FurionStormrage

How much video RAM do you have on the card?

What operating system are you using?

What video drivers are you using?

What version of DirectX do you have installed?

Thanks!

256MB PC2100

Nvidia Detonator 44.75(?)

Windows XP (SP1)

DirectX9.0b

Originally posted by Jedith

256MB PC2100

Nvidia Detonator 44.75(?)

Windows XP (SP1)

DirectX9.0b

Personally, I would recommend you set your video driver back to the last WHQL-certified driver for your video card, which is the 40.72. I have been having problems with the later versions that are only WHQL-certified for the new FX cards.

All your other specs look fine so I don't think any of those are the problem. I hope you can get this resolved!

Archived