Home

go cubbies(finally!)

Zargon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not competitive. If they made a handful of changes it could be. The NFL has all that salary cap and revenue sharing stuff going on and that makes the league competitive by not allowing huge concentrations of good players on a single team.

There in lies some of the problem, even if a salary cap was imposed, at say, 100 milliion dollars, or even eighty million dollars, most of the teams, according to their rather frugal owners, can't even afford that, so it would only be penalizing teams that can afford high slaries. And that is just as unfair as having no salary cap at all.

I'm not suggesting that the current rules in place are unfair, because they are. People are just mad at the fact that the Yankees don't care about revenue sharing or the luxury tax. They want to win at all costs, and isn't that the point after all?

Baseball relies too heavily on the individual over teh whole of the team. Its like a single player game that only has multiple players on teh defense.

Thats just an assault on the rules of baseball. Baseball is a team sport, it is true that a pitcher can dominate a game, but its the same as a quarterback dominating a game, neither can do it without their teams. Pitchers can't control a game without their defense, because pitchers can't strike out all 27 batters in a game. And a quarterback can't score every touchdown in a game.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

The sport is fundamentally flawed and the Pirates happen to be one of the examples thereof.

Plus its boring to watch.

Good reason why the sport flawed is the Yankees.

The have more World Series lose then any other team have wins in the World Series

This 39th time to go to the WS.

The have a record of 26-12 in the World Series.

Originally posted by Kylilin

There in lies some of the problem, even if a salary cap was imposed, at say, 100 milliion dollars, or even eighty million dollars, most of the teams, according to their rather frugal owners, can't even afford that, so it would only be penalizing teams that can afford high slaries. And that is just as unfair as having no salary cap at all.

it is true that a pitcher can dominate a game, but its the same as a quarterback dominating a game,

Yeah, a cap can screw things up too, but that's exactly why the NFL, as I mentioned, has the revenue sharing. Everyone has the roughly same amount of money to throw around.

Its not the same as a QB's role. I gave one example of where that's a fact. Every single QB out there would have been or would be nothing if it weren't for the team. If Montana hadn't had Rice to throw to all those years, he wouldn't have been as good as QB.

I think you have it mixed up, Rice wouldn't have been as good without Montana, but that is a separate issue.

There is revenue sharing in baseball, and the luxury tax, which is also shared by the teams.

The bottom line is, the Yankees have the money to spend, and more importantly, are willing to spend it in order to be successful. I loved how the owner of the Texas Rangers complained about the Yankees after he gave Alex Rodriguez a 252 million dollar contract. What it comes down to are the teams that are owned by corporations and businessmen, these teams are treated as any other business they would acquire, meaning they look to make a profit. Let's do some basic economics, the lower you pay your employees, the more you will profit. This is why teams have 30 million dollar payrolls, because their owners are looking to make a profit first, and win second. With the Yankees its reversed, and thats why they are successful.

The bottom line is, the Yankees have the money to spend

And I don't like that. They have the money to spend and no one else does. By not having any kind of regulation, they (and by they i mean the whole league) can have all sorts of crazy payroll stuff going on where individual players are pulling in more than entire NFL teams. Clearly SOME teams can afford this, but most can't. Some NFL teams can afford better players, but not by absurd numbers.

Nute, you quote worse than a reporter from a tabloid.

Many of the other teams in baseball have the same kind of money the Yankees do, but are not willing to spend it. The Yankees are, thats why they rule. The Angels are owned by Disney for crying out loud, you mean to tell me that a multi-national corporation such as Disney doesn't have the money to match George Steinbrenner? It is a ridiculous notion. But, the point is, to be ultra repetitive and to get through that thick republican head of yours, is that Disney is looking to make a profit above all else, and the Yankees look to win above all else. And a lot more teams than you think can afford big salaries, they just won't. They like to act like they are in such poverty. Its the difference between treating a baseball team as a business and an actual team. Another example ar ethe Cubs, owned by the Tribune company, the Cubs have a huge fanbase, yet, prior to this year have been horrible since the 80's it is because the Tribune keeps all the profit they make from the Cubs instead of redirecting it back into the farm system, trying to sign free agents, hiring better personal, etc... This is is not the fault of the Yankees.

This is is not the fault of the Yankees.

No, its the fault of Major League Baseball. And they are slowly killing their sport.

EDIT: the idea of a Republican being accused of not liking, essentially, the harnessing of the full might of capitalism is enough to cause an irony detector to explode.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

No, its the fault of Major League Baseball. And they are slowly killing their sport.

EDIT: the idea of a Republican being accused of not liking, essentially, the harnessing of the full might of capitalism is enough to cause an irony detector to explode.

You see, all this talk of revenue sharing is just communism rearing its ugly head. :D

Originally posted by Zargon

I agree, and ironically, the team that best showed this salary flaw was the MARLINS, who bought themselves a series by buying a TON of highpaying players for a year, now they are back iwth just about the lowerst salary cap

There were many teams with very low payrolls and made it to the playoff this year and last year.

Oakland,Minnesota,and the Floride who in the WS now and threaten to finish off the NY on Saturday.Amazing that the Marlins have never lose one playoff series ever in there history.I hope that stay true and watch NY fall.

On another note The Rocket made his last start on Wensday a game where NY came back,but still failed and lose.The final start for a great pitcher.

The Rocket has landed for good.

Well that it the Marlins are WS champion for the second time in 6 years.Congrat to the Florida Marlins taking another WS title home with them.

Surpising they use money to win there first WS and now use young talent to win this one.I wanted them to win this one of course because there were playing the Yankees and also to show they can win without money.Another little info every year the Marlins finish the season over 500. they won the WS.A totally pointless fact :p

Your 2003 World Series Champions the Florida Marlins

Archived