Home

go cubbies(finally!)

Zargon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they pout a good hurt on you guys today.......

we are sitting on a3-0 lead in the bot of the 7th and prior is still in.....

you guys need to win some more, give us a longer rest no matter who wins ;)

btw, WHY THE **** is your motto cowboy up..........i odn;t even think anyone from boston has ever even SEEN A COW, let alone a COWBOY!

Originally posted by Zargon

btw, WHY THE **** is your motto cowboy up..........i odn;t even think anyone from boston has ever even SEEN A COW, let alone a COWBOY!

I know it's from a song originally (can't remember the title and artist), but I think reliever Mike Timlin originally said it in an interview and "karaoke kid" 1B Kevin Millar, the designated mouthpiece of the team, liked it so much he started saying it. I could be wrong on the exact order of events, though.

Edit: Here's the "official" history of the phrase as it pertains to the Red Sox... http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2003/09/24/rallying_cry_spurs_sox_to_finish_ride/

Cubbies lose. :(

I'm actually really disappointed about that. Who cares about the Marlins? I would have loved to see the Cubs go all the way. Bummer.

At least the Sox still have a chance.

But if it turns out to be a Yanks/ Marlins series (God forbid) it's gonna be a total yawner. Wake me up when it's over and time to start paying attention to football.

*nudges edlib* You can wake up...big game @ Miami Sunday.

To Kylilin:

Congrats. The Yankees deserved it after the vapor lock Grady Little displayed in leaving Pedro in there too long. It did go extra innings, though (fittingly). What are the odds ESPN Classic makes this game an "Instant Classic"?

I wondered how long it would take you to get on to gloat. :rolleyes: This is why all the world loves a Yankees fan. ;)

Admit it: The Sox at least gave you a run for your money this year. It can hardly be described as a shutout. We had you sweating a little bit.

And I honestly hope you enjoy what will undoubtedly go down in history as the "Most Boring World Series Ever"

Really. Other than you I can't honestly name a single person that cares about the outcome of either of these teams. Especially the Marlins. I have never, ever met a Marlins fan.

Whereas in a Cubs or Sox Vs. Anybody matchup you would have people tuning in from parts of the world where live goats are the only official currency.

And if it had been the Cubs Vs. Sox you would have had every sentient creature in the universe tuning in to every second of those games. Civilization would have completely stopped.

I wondered how long it would take you to get on to gloat. This is why all the world loves a Yankees fan.

Spoken like a true Red Sox fan. I will admit it, I never said the Red Sox sucked. I kept saying to myself this whole series, "if these guys wore different uniforms, I'd probably like this team." So I will give the Red Sox their due for putting up the best fight I've seen against the Yankees since their run started back in 1996. By the way, thanks Wildstar, very gracious of you.

Originally posted by Kylilin

By the way, thanks Wildstar, very gracious of you.

You're welcome, Kyl. Frankly, the Sox run was just gravy for me. My hometown independent league team, the Brockton Rox of the Northeast League, had already taken that league's title, so I can't say this baseball season was a total disappointment for me. :D

BTW, my brother & I were at the Rox home game where Biff Henderson taped a spot for "The Late Show with David Letterman" that aired about a couple of months ago. :lol:

The Philadelphia Eagles have been to the Super Bowl and lost. Once. Ever. In 1981. At least your 'red stockings' have gone to the World Series before.

Maybe you should give up on baseball for the stupid game it is! ZING!

PS Football is better.

PPS Baseball sucks

PPPS haha Ohio State sucks

Just because the Phillies and the Pirates suck, does not mean the baseball sucks.

Face it, to continue to follow and root for a team that has lost since 1918 you have to be a TRUE fan. Trust me, it's not easy sometimes.

Although I can't really sympathize with your plight of rooting for a horribly cursed team, I can sympathize with being a true fan.

Yo!

I know nothing of baseball. My only experiences with it are:

- 10-12 years ago my favourite cartoon was this cool Anime that revolves a bit arround a modified version of baseball called Battleball

- Video games of it on Super Nintendo and Neo-Geo. They were lots of but no thanks to the basball part of it, it was great because it was pure arcade (Special skills, moves, fire balls, "spells", etc...)

- Went to an Ottawa Lynx game twice, it was ok. I guess... I only went because they were free tickets. I could've gone for a third free time but I had more than enough already.

- Actually played it 2 or 3 times in my life. Fun but only because we never took it seriously.

- Never watched more than 5 minutes of it on TV, too boring for me.

Anyway, the point is that today a friend was telling me about the infamous Babe Ruth Curse that lies upon the Red Sox. I found it interesting. I just wanted to say that Curses usually end after they've been carried out for a round number of "time unit". In this case it will be 86 years of curse. My guess is that it will end on the 100th.

I will now go play that wicked Baseball game on Neo-Geo.

That is all.

Its not competitive. If they made a handful of changes it could be. The NFL has all that salary cap and revenue sharing stuff going on and that makes the league competitive by not allowing huge concentrations of good players on a single team. An NFL roster has just over 45 guys on it. A team is lucky to have three good players.

By spreading out the skilled players, virtually half the league has a shot at the Super Bowl before the season starts. I was making my usual claims of a Steelers-Eagles championship like I always do at the beginning of the season. It was an entirely reasonable claim, but no less valid than a Baltimore-Carolina Super Bowl. Hell, people would have laughed at you if you said Baltimore and Carolina even made the playoffs over the Steelers and Eagles. But now after the season started, the Steelers and Eagles fell apart and Carolina is undefeated thus far and Baltimore is leading its division. Atlanta, vaunted Atlanta, was may people's pick for the NFC super bowl team. They're 1-5 right now.

The Eagles couldn't be carried on the back of McNabb. He needed some to throw to, which he doesn't have, or a running game to make up for the lousy passing, which the Eagles don't have. In baseball, you get a good pitcher and a guy that can hit a couple homers a game and you're set. Baseball relies too heavily on the individual over teh whole of the team. Its like a single player game that only has multiple players on teh defense.

Plus the season is far too long. No one game matters. Cut 2/3rds of the games and make the playoffs single elimination.

oh yeah, and there's no way for the defenders to score.

Archived