Home

Where did everybody go?

WTE_Kimba

imo learning Huttese is potentially very dangerous as it gives you a kind of affinity with those Star Trek nerds who can speak Klingon - it's a slippery slope...

I thought maybe any equipment issued to Jedi for their work still belonged to the Republic, like soldiers and policement don't actually own their weapons and stuff. But it's fairly minor compared to some of the other contradictions. I still have plenty of potential for future sigs...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, someone that actually reads our little 'discussions.' Glad to see.

A new level of... geekiness? Guess my time away did make a change after all. ;)

I don't think anything we Star Wars fans can do could even approach the fandom of some Trekkies. We're not really learning Huttese or Rodian, just stealing a few lines from Star Wars material (yes, hear that, Vostok?). The Trekkies can actually hold civilized conversations in Klingon. Now that's scary.

Originally posted by CorranSec

The Trekkies can actually hold civilized conversations in Klingon. Now that's scary.

*whistles*

lol no, I am a Trekkie but I'm not THAT extreme and wanting to speak Klingon...well, maybe...*shrugs*

Wouldn't mind learning Huttese...confuse everyone in school...hehe...

Well there is no real "Huttese", in that it isn't a complete language like Klingon. Ben Burtt only made up parts of it, and there is no set grammar. I wouldn't mind reading Ben Burtt's book (I forget the name) that has a beginners guide to Huttese in.

Corran, my argument is a logic one. While the scripts were indeed written at least in part by Lucas, and the movies were made from the scripts, there are several parts where they don't correlate, much like any movie and its script. So which can be taken as "correct"? Surely only one can be right, and if you ask me it is the movies. Therefore, if something is "less correct", by definition it cannot be Canon (as Canon is gospel, always correct). However, due to fondness of others in mistakingly calling the scripts "canon", I have dubbed it Secondary Canon. It's quite simple, really.

Well, it is simple... from a certain point of view ;)

Here's an interesting anomaly concerning my personality some of you may be interested in: I have no problem what-so-ever admitting there is crappy writing and acting in Star Wars, and that some circumstances are so silly its laughable (my favourite example of this is Obi-Wan fixing the Bongo's power by playing with the cigarette lighter). However, I will fanatically argue against anyone who suggests these nuances are in fact inconcistencies.

Hence my arguing with Corran, who I know says some things just to get me worked up... but I do enjoy it.

No Huttese? Are you indeed suggesting that the language does not exist? Why, but Jabba must be speaking it! Dare you to contradict the Primary Canon? :p

The scripts and the movies don't correlate? Having never read the scripts, I cannot deny the truth of this, but it nonetheless confuses me. Aren't movies meant to be, uh, read off their scripts? I understand small modifications/ad libbing eg the famous 'I know,' but I'm interested. What are these differences that could make such an important differences in our debates?

Also, where is the logic in only using the movies to prove a point? If there is a line in the script which could be used to make a unit (eg. the script describing that strange-looking alien in the briefing room in ROTJ who is some kind of grenadier, a Dressellian or something), then why restricted yourself to the script? And if we are debating about some kind of physics involved in SW hyperdrive travel, why only use the (very limited) lines from the script about hyperdrive, if there happens to be a detailed description in the script or, indeed, in EU?

But I think we're missing the point here. The only debates we have involving the EU vs Canon debate are, indeed, the EU vs Canon debate, and the Realism debate involving units to put in GB2. Now it's quite clear that only using the movie to base units on (I'm reading this off your 'only using Primary Canon to prove a point' statement) is a foolish move to make, and you have in fact done otherwise in several cases. So it seems clear that, based on the points above, EU is acceptable as source material in the grand majority of Star Wars cases, especially those discussed in this particular forum.

Obi fixed the bongo with the cigarette lighter!? I don't think I noticed... perhaps it's because the sub itself was actually dark and lying at the bottom of the ocean at the time, thus you couldn't really see inside. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Vostok just knows way too much about Star Wars.

Thanks for the welcome, Windu. I don't doubt that you'll be regretting it as soon as I read one of your ideas....

Well I cant speak Huttese & i sure couldnt get my mouth around Klingon (although i think it is a very erotic language... /me spits on French!) but i do speak drow, as in nasty evil elves kind of drow. Guess thats kind of in the same "bloody remote languages category" - but just a tad out of context here on a GB forum!

So i shall leave you with

B'luthyrr harl, Xor el jjuna

and wonder how many SecPoints Corran will give away for working that one out...

/me wonders off having contributed everything she had now to this converstaion & wonders what question she should ask next~!

French... it's like wiping your ass with silk.

100 SecPoints to the person who identifies what movie that's from and the character that said it, and an extra 100 SPs to the first person to find out who the actor is that said it.

Pretty simple really. :)

Hehe, I like drow, although I only know a tiny bit of the Baldur's Gate kind of drow. I'm guessing you know the Neverwinter Nights kind. Although they might be the same, considering they're both Bioware... ?

Kimba, I can't award SecPoints for a question which I don't have the answer for. :p Maybe you could answer the above questions, get SecPoints for yourself, and give them away?

Or maybe people could try to solve the Drow and then Kimba could say when it's correct. :)

Also, Kimba, I'll give you 1000 SecPoints if you manage to go without using IRC terminology/references for over a week, or for a dozen posts, whichever comes first. Just a little test to see if you can do it. I doubt it, lol.

roflmao

for 1,000 secpoints you have yourself a bet...

easy peasy

Your quote is from the latest The Matrix Movie & i cant remember the guys name, the one who had the "keymaker" - so can i get 50 for getting half the questin right?

And no - I am keeping my secpoints to myself cos they could come in real handy one day - so if anyone gets it I'll let you know & you can give them what you think they deserve for it...

11 more posts to go...

Corran: Firstly, it's Merovingian, from Matrix Reloaded, played by Lambert Wilson.

Now, back to the Canon debate.

I know from the use of :p you are only half serious, but I feel I should rephrase myself: Huttese exists in the Canon of the Star Wars Universe, but it does not exist as a complete language in the real world.

And as for using Canon to prove a point, you misinterpret me. I mean the ovies are the only source you can use to really "understand" Star Wars. If you're making things up for a game, such as SWGB2, then by all means the scripts and in particular alternative concept art are a great source of material, and quite obviously much closer to George Lucas' vision. Even EU can be drawn on for extra units in a game, though I think they really should abide by my three Laws relating to made up units that I posted somewhere around here... I'll see if I can find them. Anyway, what I'm saying is that the scripts, although infinitely better than EU, are unreliable. For example, in the radio dramatisation of A New Hope, Owen Lars was said to be Obi-Wan's brother. This was obviously written into the script by Lucas, who intended it to be the case before he had written Attack of the Clones and made Owen Lars Anakin's step-brother. Now if the original idea had have been included in the movie version of A New Hope, Lucas would not hae been able to change it to the way it is now, because the movies are binding, but because it only existed in Secondary Canon, it isn't necessarily true, and is therefore changable.

Maybe Vostok just knows way too much about Star Wars.
Finally you see the light :D

Originally posted by Admiral Vostok

Maybe Vostok just knows way too much about Star Wars.

No, he knows too much about the movies and the so called "cannon stuff"

I speak English, just like the majority of the characters in SW and ST...

No, you speak Galactic Basic :p

Originally posted by WTE_Kimba

Oh & by the way saberhagen & anyone else interested - WTE has changed its policy about overseas members - so if you can make our time zone for a game you are more than welcome to join us now. We play Friday nights - Australian EST 8.30pm in IRC & play around 9pm ish.

http://wte-anga.com

check it out if you wish...

:jawa

Could be fun, I just have a few reservations:

1. I don't have broadband

2. Even if I can get Teamspeak working, I might find it really annoying

3. WTE site looks quite scary. This might seem weird coming from someone who likes RTS games, but it's a bit too militaristic for my taste!

1. I dont have Broad band either - its no pre requisite...

2. We very rarely use teamspeak in RTS (2 times a year for important big battles maybe!) - its used more by those playing other games. We use IRC weekly though to meet before the game to chat & decide on teams etc.

3. Scary - nah its not really - the military side is fun - helps organise people & good for handing out rewards & promotions to those earning it, like those who play alot, those who perform outstandingly & do stuff to help run WTE. Its not ridgid & rules, rules, rules, (well I mean it has some but any association has to). We "play" military is a better way to think of it!

Hope that helps a bit....

Phreak - it's "Canon" not "cannon".

Luke's Dad - ever tried using the Aurabesh thing to read the writing in Return of the Jedi? If you do you will find your "traductor" to be wrong.

Kimba - I just remembered I can't play next week due to a Halloween party. I think I'll dress as a Star Wars Character... anyway, it really was a great game last Friday, so I encourage you to join us, saberhagen.

Actually, it's not a "traductor", just a list of the letters and their meaning in latin alphabet.

Geez, how do you know it's wrong? Are you that fanatical that you can actually read what's written in the movie???

P.S: It works with JK:JO and JK:JA so unless it's been made only for those games, it should work all the time. Besides, it's just for fun.

Great News Saberhagen WOOHOO

you have made my day...

a few things of note:

1. you can change your name & remobe the "_" if you wish via the front page after login if you wish.

2. We have just started daylight savings here so we are forwards an extra hour (ie its now noon but its really only 11am!) just to make you claculations more complicated...

3. This week is probably going to be a quiet one unfortunately. We have a few people not coming for various reasons & i myself shall be late (aiming for IRC at 9pm but even this may be pushing it!) so please dont be disapointed & think this weeks poor show is usual.

Cant wait to see you there. You have IRC? The room we meet in is #WTE_LOTE (ie legions of the eagles)

You have put Windu to shame!

Kim

PS Corran, I have cleared a space to store those 1000 SecPoints... how big are they - will a shoe box sufice?

Archived