Home

New animations for JA?

tFighterPilot

Well, I've tried carcass but it gives me an error... I'll take a screenshot for more details...

Maybe I forgot something in 3dsmax before animating or exporting... Do I need to set something particular??

come to the #jkacoding channel on quakenet, Corto will help you out (or I'll punch him!)

Lol, but there're two problems:

- I don't know how does it works and what should I need(and even if I know when? When should I come?)

- I always use a super-slow 166MMx comp to fastly surf (and download from) the net. So you can guess that I haven't here my 3dsmax 4.2 installed and I can't test eventual solutions Live in this comp...

I was thinking: once the JA's SDK are out with the new root.xsi, ASK and CortoCG should be able to do the new version for GLAmerge... Am I right?

GLAMerge is not dependent on a skeleton, it can be used to merge any 2 animation files in GLA 2 format (JK2/JA format) with same number of bones.

Therefore, if you wish, you can use my program to get a bone dump of the JA skeleton, make one according to the exact specifications, and use it to create new animations. First frame must be the base post though :)

Originally posted by Wudan

I know that I'd have a really extremely small userbase (maybe 10 users) and even after that, if I release something that isn't semi-intuitive and usable, I'd lose every single one and walk away feeling burnt.

I've put a lot of time in to this, and I'll put more time in to it just to make it work in a semi-useful fashion.

I disagree.... what would people rather have, software that costs over 100 $ to make new anims. or software that is free that will do the same thing? It might not be able to make models.. but still. A lot of SP mappers will probably need to make better cutscenes. From what ive heard, JA doesnt really have the animations you saw in the cutscenes... but other types of files... (roff, im guessing, based on my experence as a scripter)

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

I disagree.... what would people rather have, software that costs over 100 $ to make new anims. or software that is free that will do the same thing? It might not be able to make models.. but still. A lot of SP mappers will probably need to make better cutscenes. From what ive heard, JA doesnt really have the animations you saw in the cutscenes... but other types of files... (roff, im guessing, based on my experence as a scripter)

Of course they do have those animations! The best part, is thatevery cutscene can have it's own _humanoid.gla, thus there won't be a need to replace anything. :cool:

N3G1@: I always used the .car file in the same folder as the gla/glm/xsi files. You should use the .car file that comes with the SDK, as it's a guaranteed correct .car and I am not to be bothered with reverse-engineering that .car again :)

I heard that Corto released a skeleton for JA (http://www.cortocg.com), afaik it is not enveloped (or was that weighted o_O, I have no idea about bone animation to be honest), and it must be before animations are to be made.

Ok. I've created a new Car file, by adding my XSI anim. Then I try to use Carcass, but this is the error... Any help? AAAHHH!!! No file-attachment!!! Well I'll write the error.

bla,bla,bla...

<keeping "motion" bone>

Loading XSI models\players\_humanoid\Runshot.xsi @ 0,XSI Import failed, file contains 'cubic' scale keys (file 'D:\games\JA\gamedata\base\modles\players\_humanoid\runshot.xsi')

...:confused: ...:confused:

Hmm... I'd like to say that I'm using 3dsmax 4.25 (updated with its SP1 taken from discreet), and I just import the root.xsi (from models\players\kyle), then I don't do anything, and I just export it "as it was", then I try to re-import it, and it always says "improper file format.". Really weird.

Anyway, I've found another comp with 3dsmax 5 installed, so, anyone knows where can I find an XSI importer-exporter for 3dsmax 5?

Originally posted by N3G1@

Hmm... I'd like to say that I'm using 3dsmax 4.25 (updated with its SP1 taken from discreet), and I just import the root.xsi (from models\players\kyle), then I don't do anything, and I just export it "as it was", then I try to re-import it, and it always says "improper file format.". Really weird.

Anyway, I've found another comp with 3dsmax 5 installed, so, anyone knows where can I find an XSI importer-exporter for 3dsmax 5?

I have 5.1 and the importer and exporter that came with the editing tools of JO worked for me.

Originally posted by N3G1@

Ok. I've created a new Car file, by adding my XSI anim. Then I try to use Carcass, but this is the error... Any help? AAAHHH!!! No file-attachment!!! Well I'll write the error.

bla,bla,bla...

<keeping "motion" bone>

Loading XSI models\players\_humanoid\Runshot.xsi @ 0,XSI Import failed, file contains 'cubic' scale keys (file 'D:\games\JA\gamedata\base\modles\players\_humanoid\runshot.xsi')

...:confused: ...:confused:

IIRC - this has to do with your regional settings - they need to be set to the US (oh my!)

To get on irc:

http://www.mirc.com

download, install, type: /server irc.gamesnet.net

/join #jediknight

for the official jediknight.net channel

and

/server -m irc.quakenet.org

/join #jkacoding

to join the JKA coding channel.

you can omit the -m if you plan to be connected to only one server (it opens a new connection)

As for cubic scale keys - change regional settings to US and re-export your project

so how user friendly will your program be wudan? Is it ganna be complicated, or just a few menus... or what? I dont expect it to be really easy, because its free, and your not being paid, so i dont expect you to do extra work to make it really simple for people... can i get an idea on how it will be? sorry if you have already mentioned that, its been a while since ive read this thread.

Well, I am having a few bugs that are preventing me from wanting to release a few things.

I thought I could get away with a cheap GUI, but it's proven to be buggy. I'm going back to re-write a more ROBUST and EXTENSIBLE GUI.

I'm aiming for more functionality, but I have already written a GLA export function that works ... kind of.

Bug squashing resumes when I can find time.

Archived