Home

How old are light sabres? *mild spoiler alert*

Remirol Nacnud

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question ofcourse is how old you can make something look, if the concept of hyperspace has been around for 20000 years, you could wonder how much more antique a ship of that era would look compared to the Milennium Falcon. Ofcourse, alot of aspects could've been improved, navicomputers, sublight capabilities like speed and manouvrability, deflector shields, laser strenght, and whatnot.

But that's just an example.

in the furture - ill be sure to affix "IMHO" when i make direct statements. that way i can further avoid cracks at my psyche.

least its a duscussion, and not an argument.

There is so much in EU there is no way it could all fit together. Even the official movies have scenes that don't fit at all (especially if comparing trilogy 1 to trilogy 2).

The truth is somewhere in the middle. KOTOR is looking modern to you? Fine, no one is forcing you to like it. But after all it's you thinking that it's modern. Maybe someone else feels differently.

no kidding. the EU is filled with good stuff as well as bad stuff - and you have to deal with all of it.

KOTOR did look modern to me. and i never said i didnt like it. yes it is me thinkings its modern, as well as everyone ive conferred with about it (in my immediate area, and OL). im sure other people feel differently - obviously you do.

Yes I can I read that myself. Long before the game came out. Lucas calls allot of the shots about what goes in the games. I give Lucas credit. He puts his nose in a every aspect of the Star Wars universe. It's his baby. As he has gotten older he has had better ideas and he has made allot of the hole idea he started with make more since. Kind of like the transition from Ankin Starslayer to Luke Skywalker in the early story.
good for George, im glad he cares. because for the longest time, i thought that he didnt.

alot of people i know hope he'll quash the EU. i hope he doesnt. but if he's got at least some of his influence in it, then he'll give it some mercy and let it be.

and then again, theres always the "Hierarchy of Canon" argument. however, im not qaulified to discuss. what i wouldnt give for Gabe in here right now. id could use the help.

The only thing that makes since with games and fictional stories is that they aren't real and they change at a any time. That's why you can't have a major in Star Wars history.

To be perfectly honest KOTOR is probably so modern feeling, because it is. They do that to keep all the people interested. If you took out all the things that makes star wars, star wars for histories sake. It wouldn't be the star wars everyone knows and fewer people would be interested in it.

because something is Fiction, and CAN change at will, doesnt mean it should or should be allowed too. having things make sense requires continuity. to have continuity, wild freedom of creativity has to be reigned in. anarchy in creativity doth not a stable setting make. at least agree with me on that.

with the modern feel of KOTOR, im sure they were going with it looking akin to the movies we all know. however, if thats what they wanted to do, then they really shouldve not placed it in the era they did. things change over 4000 years - nothing is constant. thats not fiction being fiction, thats Universal Law. imagine where we were 4000 years ago? 2000bc. hell, most of civilisation was primitive - only the Egyptians were really getting anywhere.

anyway. i think thats that.

lets hope arrogance does not show itself in the posts to follow.

Hate to do this, but I'm going to have to side with Captain Obvious... but I'll promote him to a Major.

The bottom line is that this is just like Star Trek. They did a fairly good job "retroing" Enterprise, but it is still obvious that it is newer from the tech that they have...

The bottom line is that I don't want to use a Saber that is made out of cardboard. I want a nice shiny saber. I don't want a gun that fires bullets in a game when I can just as easily head over to the rifle range. I don't want to spend a week in hyperspace when I don't have to. I'd rather just play my game and enjoy it regardless of when it is supposed to take place. Jeez.

I just want to slice stuff up!

Originally posted by Stafire13

Nope. I live in Australia now, but I'm from Singapore originally. I was in the Singapore Armed Forces (Armoured Corps).

Singapore ahh nothing like a Caining and jail. ;) We should do that in the USA.

Here is something for our fanboy "Valin" You may already know this you may not........

This comes from this site a ways down threw all the dumb questions and answers...........

http://www.supershadow.com/archive/starwars1/54.html

Hey SuperShadow, in the new classic trilogy for 2017, will Lucas totally do a remake? Or use the old footage from the first trilogy and make additions? I’ve been really wondering about this, so please tell me. (SuperShadow: The 2017 remake will be completely new. Lucas plans to re-create the classic trilogy using only photo-realistic computer animation.)

Hi! I was wondering, when Lucas remakes the original trilogy, is Obi-Wan going to talk about Qui-Gon to Luke or whoever? That would be nice, showing that Obi-Wan remembered Qui-Gon. (SuperShadow: Yes, that is going to happen.)

Originally posted by Cosmos Jack

Singapore ahh nothing like a Caining and jail. ;) We should do that in the USA.

Hehe. Funny that those are the two things people tend to think of. There are definitely more jails in US than in Singapore. ;)

Nevertheless, it's interesting that in a country where almost every male over 18 years of age is at least trained in the use of automatic assault rifles, that the crime-rate is so low. I can go for a walk at 3am almost anywhere in Singapore without having to worry about being mugged. :p

Anyway, back the topic :D

I was just reading "Dark Lords of the Sith" in my Uni library this evening, and saw the scene where Exar Kun duels with his master, with Kun using a 2 blue sabers and his master using a wooden staff.

Interesting how his master could deflect lightsabers with his staff, though when Exar Kun started using both sabers together, he broke through his master's defence and sliced his staff in two. So, it seems like deflecting sabers with objects needs a high amount of concentration. Perhaps it's like a highly localised form of force-protect being "cast" on the staff?

Actually, there are two force-powers in JA which no Jedi in the movies or in the EU has, and they are definitely the most powerful force-powers ever.

Force-load and Force-save... :D

Hehe. Funny that those are the two things people tend to think of. There are definitely more jails in US than in Singapore. ;)

Nevertheless, it's interesting that in a country where almost every male over 18 years of age is at least trained in the use of automatic assault rifles, that the crime-rate is so low. I can go for a walk at 3am almost anywhere in Singapore without having to worry about being mugged. :p

I completely agree. Victim disarmament is not the way to solve violent crime. In many cases where single towns allow people to bear arms of their own will, there is no crime. This one small town, I think in Texas (lol of course), even has signs when you enter the town: "Our Citizens are Armed." :p

Anyway, back the topic :D

Yes, back to the topic.

I was just reading "Dark Lords of the Sith" in my Uni library this evening, and saw the scene where Exar Kun duels with his master, with Kun using a 2 blue sabers and his master using a wooden staff.

Interesting how his master could deflect lightsabers with his staff, though when Exar Kun started using both sabers together, he broke through his master's defence and sliced his staff in two. So, it seems like deflecting sabers with objects needs a high amount of concentration. Perhaps it's like a highly localised form of force-protect being "cast" on the staff?

Real interesting idea about the force protection cast on an object. Makes sense.

Actually, there are two force-powers in JA which no Jedi in the movies or in the EU has, and they are definitely the most powerful force-powers ever.

Force-load and Force-save... :D

I concur. Force-load and Force-save crosses the bounderies of time and space itself! :lol::xp:

Dear god, what did I start?

Anyway, I haven't played KOTOR, but I have thought that the advancement of technology in the SW universe is a little......odd.

It seems at times that the technology completely stands still. Look at R2-D2 and C-3PO. At the very start of the first trilogy, C-3PO is something made from scrap by a poor slave in his spare time. And yet he, and droids just like him, are doing a lot of work years after episode 6.

The same goes for R2 units and R5 (I wonder what an R3 or 4 looks like?)

On the other hand ofcourse, we can look at the more advanced robotic technology. In episode 2 Anakin has his arm replaced with something that looks like it was made NOW(in our universe) let alone in a space travelling advanced galaxy.

But a mere generation later Luke gets a replacement limb that's just as good as a normal one. I'm looking forward to seeing what Anakins robotic arm looks like in Ep3.

Anyway, I think that the people in the SW galaxy have advanced so far that few advances in technology are possible.

someone used our world as an example, saying what we were like 4000 years ago. But that's the difference between no civilisation, and civilisation. That's not the difference between an already established civilisation, and that same one a few thousand years later.

Although, after hyperspace was invented I would have expected a huge surge in technology that would last for a few millenia(as everyone can build on an entire galaxy's worth of already established science and research)

Uh, I can't remember if I had a point. :)

I haven't played it, but I'm curious. How could KOTOR look "too modern"? This is a galactic civilization that's been around for some 20,000 years or more at the time of the first Star Wars movie. Would citizens of a 16,000+ year old interstellar empire still be wearing chainmail, and using horses and buggies as their main method of transportation?

You can see what an R3 unit looks like in Episode IV. It's the one with a bad motivator that "blows its top". The droid you have to look for in the Sandcrawler is also an R3.

They were never as popular as the R2 units, so were never widely adopted. I can't remember about the R4s, but the R5s were the true successors to the R2s.

Hey Jack!

Sycophants never prosper. have a nice day.

the "modern" look i mentioned was that it looked alot like the movies - even though there is an obvious time difference.

but those are just my niggles with the game. i beleive its apocryphal, but ::shrug:: whatever.

but KotOR was a good game though.

Originally posted by Valin

Hey Jack!

Sycophants never prosper. have a nice day.

I consider that a flame and I will respond thereupon. The following isn't a flame this is constructive criticism.

I sure hope that you didn't injure your eyes looking through the dictionary for an infrequently used word like "Sycophant." Just to make yourself sound more scintillating than me?:tsk:

There is nobody here important that I need to impress to stay alive in this thread. It was sunk from the minute you posted and began to argue rational ideas with me. I don't need to prevaricate with anyone here to get them to side with me. It's reason as simple as this. Truth is truth if don't like it oh well...I'm right and you're wrong live with it.

I have been flouted by better people for greater things than my opinion here. I think you have a long way to go before you register on my radar there guy. Trying to be ostentatious with your knowledge of words isn't helping you here "Dictionary Jedi, because the "Thesaurs Sith" is hard at work.. My typing may be bad, but I'm not that dumb.

"Unimpressive.... most unimpressive Obi-Wan didn't teach you sh!t. "Darth Cosmos-Jack" throws the "Webster's Dictionary" at "Padawan Valin" and Oh and have a nice day...

:wavey:

Well, you responded differently then i figured you - which is good. i was expecting yet another snide throwoff, and be done with. im glad you consider 3 words a flame.

anyway - i was thinking to myself thusly...

there was a post talking about dark side powers being used by Jedi, and alot of people who post here threw in alot of varying opinons. i threw in some as well, i beleive.

there was even a thread talking about Lightsatff's and Jedi using them. same as above, i posted, others did too.

yet, i notcied no posts by you. none of this "Star Wars isnt real" or "Its just fiction, so who cares?" stuff. which i found odd.

i also notcied most of the people posting had many more posts then your measly 300+ (and my double digits). and so, i thought "maybe Jack doesnt get on their case because they have higher post counts then he does? or maybe its because he respects them more?"

so - i concluded this little episode herein was simple n00b bashing.

everything youve said is invalidated. thank you.

yes, im happy to be at this forum, and thanks for the dictionary, but i already have my own. :p

"I think you have a long way to go before you register on my radar there guy."

Oh, but just enough to make a long ass essay to him. :rolleyes:

Gotta love forum drama.

Oh yeah, looking at this thread, pretty much after the 5th, and perhaps 6th post, it's completely off topic to the specific question in the thread title... :whacked:

Well, you responded differently then i figured you - which is good. i was expecting yet another snide throwoff, and be done with. im glad you consider 3 words a flame.

Not three words one word.

anyway - i was thinking to myself thusly...

there was a post talking about dark side powers being used by Jedi, and alot of people who post here threw in alot of varying opinons. i threw in some as well, i beleive.

there was even a thread talking about Lightsatff's and Jedi using them. same as above, i posted, others did too.

yet, i notcied no posts by you. none of this "Star Wars isnt real" or "Its just fiction, so who cares?" stuff. which i found odd.

As far as that goes.... I thought I had most of the other people on my side like you said I did? I also do other things like work, watch TV, go to the mall, go to the park, and run. I also take a Martial arts class 3 days a week. Basically have a life... I don't waist my hole day here trying to come up with snide throw off remarks for Star Wars fan boy posters; however, if it makes you feel better to think I do have at it. Tonight happens to be a off night so you are lucky...

i also notcied most of the people posting had many more posts then your measly 300+ (and my double digits). and so, i thought "maybe Jack doesnt get on their case because they have higher post counts then he does? or maybe its because he respects them more?"

Assumption is the mother of all F***ups... Most people who know me know I don't care about post counts. I don't respect 12 yr olds, because they have 1000+ posts more than me. So don't think your special if anyone posted on here and I had a apposing view they would know. If I cared enough.

so - i concluded this little episode herein was simple n00b bashing.

everything youve said is invalidated. thank you.

I don't think you grasp NOOB bashing I really don't. I wouldn't bother arguing with you for entertainment alone. I honestly disagree with you and think you're full of it.

yes, im happy to be at this forum, and thanks for the dictionary, but i already have my own. :p

I'm so glad you are happy to be on this forum. Really I am, but I wasn't throwing a dictionary at you so you could use it.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by idontlikegeorge

"I think you have a long way to go before you register on my radar there guy."

Oh, but just enough to make a long ass essay to him. :rolleyes:

Gotta love forum drama.

Everyone needs to feel important even him. I did it for the little man. I don't think you have a grasp on why I posted what and I don't really care. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by idontlikegeorge

[Oh yeah, looking at this thread, pretty much after the 5th, and perhaps 6th post, it's completely off topic to the specific question in the thread title... :whacked:

Aren't you accustomed to it by now?

for alot of reasons, it really doesnt matter. i was never in the "flaming" stage, and so, it strikes me as odd you take one word (or three, or hundred) of mine to be a flame. dont flatter yourself, Jack. i have a life too.

anyway, yes the Topic got off Topic. so ill repeat the pertinent facts.

*Lightsabers have been around since just after the birth of the Jedi (and Sith) which was...about 20,000 years ago give or taek a decade.

*The Sith were fond of using swords which were bonded with cortosis weeve, and enhanced by both Dark Side energies and Sith Alchemy. (Marka Ragnos' Sceptor and Sword are perfect examples)

i think my work here is done. Thanks and enjoy the Veal.

Hmm don't flatter myself... hmm ahhh how odd no need to do that here it seems.:rolleyes: ... Anyway here is note from George Lucas for you...

"Mr. Valin hello this is George Lucas and I here you have a degree in Star Wars History? hmm yes well I decided to change it I mean everything. Why you might as? Well it's my idea right? Not your's, the comic book writers, or game designers.

I think your going to have allot of studying to do. I'm sorry you might think that nothing in it can change, but you're wrong. Why, because it's not real. I woke up this morning during my midlife crises and I was thinking to myself "I just couldn't live with it the way it is." Sorry man, "may the force bee ekk nope I don't like that saying anymore either.."

Hope you like my little joke there. I would be really pissed off myself if I was Lucas and all these fan boys were trying to tell me how to tell my story. Every thing in fiction is subject to change at any time. If you want to be a expert about it then you have to be on your toes or you'll get lost.

Such as originally Boba Fett died in ROTJ. George said so himself. He got talked into branging him back, because of the fans. Even though he really died as far as history was concerned. I think that might be why he made Jango's death scene a sure thing. There is no doubt there.

That's one example of star wars history changing at a whim. The games and books are examples as well.

Since you so decisively answered the topic question of the thread there really isn't any thing to discuses is there? I mean that the dates are right? They can't change or be different? Give or take a decade?

Erm.. guys.. Settle down. Anger, that leads to the dark side, right? :p

Better be careful there guy what you say I'm the evil noob basher Darth Cosmos Jack; however, it is to late for me my yung noob poster. The Darkside of the Forum is to powerful I must obay it. You too will learn the power of the Darkside.....:o

::shrug:: im not sure why your still talking. i think youve repeated your message in at least five different ways.

if you have a life, go live it. unless it takes you five minutes to write a tirade like that, then i say knock yourself out. i spend more hours in my life then minutes i do here.

am i an expert on StarWars history? im not sure. i mean, new things are added so much that i cant keep track of it all. ya know? well of course you do.

*oh yeah, one last thing before i go...

If George Lucas ever woke up and changed ervything he's done - then i wouldnt begrugde him that. it is his setting after all. but i wouldnt want to be him as a lynch mob forms around his house.

::shrug:: im not sure why your still talking. i think youve repeated your message in at least five different ways.

Yes I'm wondering how many times I have to say it before you get the idea that all the crap you're so fond of doesn't matter.

if you have a life, go live it. unless it takes you five minutes to write a tirade like that, then i say knock yourself out. i spend more hours in my life then minutes i do here.

Actually it takes me 30 seconds to 1 minute.... I live my life on my nights off how I like thank you... Hmm 10 minuts? looks more like on and off 6 hour time span. Must be interested in what I have to say?

am i an expert on StarWars history? im not sure. i mean, new things are added so much that i cant keep track of it all. ya know? well of course you do.

You mean there are things you don't know?:confused:

*oh yeah, one last thing before i go...

If George Lucas ever woke up and changed ervything he's done - then i wouldnt begrugde him that. it is his setting after all. but i wouldnt want to be him as a lynch mob forms around his house.

Hmm ok sure whatever....

Originally posted by Cosmos Jack

Such as originally Boba Fett died in ROTJ. George said so himself. He got talked into branging him back, because of the fans. Even though he really died as far as history was concerned. I think that might be why he made Jango's death scene a sure thing. There is no doubt there.

That's one example of star wars history changing at a whim. The games and books are examples as well.

I would swear that I can remember discussing with friends as to whether or not BF had died and we agreed that it was really strange that he had just fallen into the Sarlac so easily and anti-climactically. We were pretty certain that GL had some kind of plan up his sleeve... otherwise, it was just bad writing and a wasted opportunity -before anyone says that it was just true to how life usually works, I'll remind that this is not real life, it's SW.

I completely agree that GL said he killed off BF, but I don't think it matters as long as in the future someone kills him anyway.

If GL really had purposefully meant to kill BF with no holes, he would have simply killed him the way the greatest SW villain was killed- Gallandro (from the Han Solo Trilogy)- 1000 lasers hitting him at the same time.

Archived