Home

Lucasarts President RESIGNS.

Sherack Nhar

Originally posted by Darth54

failure? Force Commander? What the heck you talking about???

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it a failure... lets say it was an under the average game.

Force Commander was a horrible, HORRIBLE commercial failure :indif: It was a pretty bad game too. The only thing it had going for it was sound design and the campaign missions. The command point system could have worked, but it was extremely badly implemented and it ruined the gameplay...

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

The command point system could have worked

I don't think so...

-Hey commander, the rebels are beating the crap out of us!!! They gonna capture our most important base!!! Could we have another AtAt? Please?

-Forget it, you don't have enough points!

That's not really realistic...

I loved the command point system because it rewarded me for killing the enemy. I am a big fan of the point system, but maybe if they'd allowed you to get half of your command points back from something that was killed or a bunker was taken. I loved Force Commander and completed the entire single player game and played several multiplayer matches with a good friend of mine, twas a great game.

Of course the same friend and I also totally beat down Jedi Power battles. :D

Those were both very fun games.

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

Well I don't wanna be mean, but I guess that for every bad news there's a good news accompanying it ^_^

I'm glad Gaber is out. Sure it's too bad that the guy is out of work for a little while, but I'm sure he'll find some other company to work in. At least now he won't be making any more Star Wars RTS, which is definitely a good thing for this license...

Yes, lets hope they develope a GB sequal that does not use the AOKII engine for a change. While GB is a great game, it is always good to improve on the first, no?

I understand that making a new engine for a game is a lot of work, but it would be nice to see LA make their own instead of using someone else's engine. It would give them so much more power in designing the game. Maybe the new President or maybe Garry G. replacment will decide to make a new engine.

Originally posted by Praetorian

I understand that making a new engine for a game is a lot of work, but it would be nice to see LA make their own instead of using someone else's engine. It would give them so much more power in designing the game. Maybe the new President or maybe Garry G. replacment will decide to make a new engine.

While I agree, you have to look at the economic viability of doing so. It takes a good couple of years of development time to make a 'good' engine - and you really have to be forward-thinking enough to aim at what the technology should look like 2 or 3 years from now. It's pointless developing for the current market, and simply trying to emulate the current crop of engines, because it will be out of date by the time you've actually built a game on top of it and released it to the public.

Just look at Valve. They worked on the Source engine for about 3-4 years, and it's only in the past year to 18 months they've actually built the game on top of it. A 5 year project has to bring something really exceptional to the table, because it's such a huge gamble.

So I wouldn't mind in the slightest if they utilised one of the better 3D RTS engines out there. I know that LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth is being constructed using a modified C&C: Generals engine, and it looks pretty damned good. There's nothing wrong with using a proven, stable existing engine as a development platform, if it means you can fast-track game development and meet consumer demand. Why reinvent the wheel?

As for how Lucasarts will develop in the future, it will be interesting to see what happens under new management. Just a caveat, though...while a new person stepping into these respecitve roles could be a good thing, and breathe some fresh air into existing franchises, it might also go the other way. You could get some egotistical maniac come into power who wants to shake up the whole company, make changes for the sake of it, and which might be detrimental in the long term.

Personally I think Lucasarts adopted the right policy in engaging outside developers experienced in particular genres to make games with SW (or whatever) content. I am also glad to see they've started developing Republic Commando on the Unreal engine. Again...why build an engine from scratch, if an existing, tried and tested one will suit your needs? There's no reason why the Unreal engine in particular could not be modified - just look at Deus Ex: Invisible War and XIII. Markedly different visual styles...but the guts of the engine remains the same.

I have to wonder if it's possible to make a kickass RTS using the Unreal engine as well...or even an RTS/FPS hybrid like Savage for MP scenarios.

Time will tell.

Archived