Home

JA vs JO- Differences? Considering on buying JA

Spinalcraft

Kay, I might be buying JA soon.. but before that I need to know if..

- How many servers are out there and people playing it? Just as much as JO before JA came out? Right now it seems that JO = dead

- Saber dueling.. gimme all the facts about it!! what changes were made? Do people still red spam (vertical slice 2x, jump vertical slice... etc)? What roles do the two new saber styles play in duels? Like is dual sabers more better for gung-ho attacking or what?

- What things are nerved in dueling? Red spam still around/effective? and blue uppercut spamming too. Not to mention YDFA

- Siege servers. anyone actually play it? Or is it as dead as Capture the Ysallamari (sp?)?

but basicly, I need hard facts of the changes made to the dueling system.. I've heard singlesabers were pretty nerfed.. do people still spam certain manuevers?

kthnxbye

There are quite a few servers out (about as many as JO had), but theres a bug so the ingame browser cant see them (but you can just use all seeing eye and you can join them fine).

If you think moves were spammed in JO, then you will defiantely not like this game.

Basically, duel sabers and staff have an unlimited combo limit. You can run around spamming moves infinitely (and these moves are more powerful than blue style.)

The old Dfa's now need 50 force, so stopped spammage (but red dfa was hardly used in duel anyway). But to replace this, raven brought in a kata that also takes 50 force, but is an instant kill move.

Basically, duels consist of button mashing, the odd 'butterfly', (which admittedly looks good, but is just another spam move really), a kata here and there and then a roll stab whicxh is also normally a one hit kill move (or will damage a lot).

If you admired the timing, strategy, shot selection and avoidance of JO, then this is not a good game for you.

The game does contain (some) of those features, but to a much lesser and easier extent.

No doubt people will say this takes skill, but thats because they werew unskilled at JO and prefer a much easier form of gameplay.

Originally posted by Jawa8578

No doubt people will say this takes skill, but thats because they werew unskilled at JO and prefer a much easier form of gameplay.

LOL.

As for servers, in the All Seeing Eye, I currently see:

400+ JA FFA servers

~200 JA Duel Servers

20 JA CTF servers

50+ JA Seige servers

700+ total JA servers

160 JO FFA servers

25 JO Duel Servers

17 JO CTF servers

240 total JO servers

As you can see, many people have started to play JA and have dropped JO.

Untrue. Many people dropped JO (but not necesarrily for JA).

Most people I knew in JO left because they got tired of it after 1 1/2 years (most left for ut). Very few (infact noone I know) has left for JA.

It is actually normal for there to be more servers in a brand new game than one thats 1.5 years old. But just to point out, by this time after release, JO had close to twice as many servers as your stats state (1254 is the golden number (from my ase history log :) )).

But remember that not as many people are playing JA because of the server list bug...in fact, there's a surprisingly high number of people considering how serious the bug is...

Not to mention JO was released just before spring/summer break, and immediately prior to the last film release. In contrast JA was released right as the school/work season started again, and has no corresponding film release to boost interest. It's doing surprisingly well all things considered; and it will definitely be a high visibility item (as far as PC games go) for parents around the holidays - SW is a "safe" franchise that adults trust their kids spending time with.

Hmmm... "untrue" is a harsh word. "Potentially inaccurate" is more appropriate. Plus none of the so called JO vets who propose this idea are able to post anything other then their (and their immediate circle's) opinon on the matter - there's no hard data to back up this contention posted across any of the forums.

It's also difficult to believe that none of the almost 1400 players online right now were JO players... actually it's much more likely that the majority of them were. Anyway...

basicly, I need hard facts of the changes made to the dueling system.. I've heard singlesabers were pretty nerfed.. do people still spam certain manuevers?

Don't know what to tell ya, Spinalcraft. Sounds a little like you've made your mind up already... I'd suggest that if you're looking for JO with all the crap removed, then you're going to be disapointed. JA is a different game entirely, and has added many new aspects to the combat system - as well as altered many previous aspects to gain a better sense of balance not only between these new features, but within the potential player community.

It is less geared toward the duelist or saber "purists" from JO. Yet whether this new approach actually requires less or more "skill" is highly debatable. There's much more to consider in JA, as well as many more random variables in both gameplay possiblities and players... which I for one think makes the game more enjoyable. The "skillz" players of JO might not like being beat by some 13 yr old kid new to FPS that thinks the Dual Sabers Kata is the coolest thing on the planet... but I think it adds a nice character to the game, and does kind of amp it up a notch in the "you gotta pay attention" category - anybody can beat you now, not just those who are "better" or have spent more time online... which is arguably more reflective of true life than a more controlled system is.

To me, the saber combat of JA seems much more balanced overall... special saber and acrobatic moves use up force mana, which effects the player's overall force ability and requires more strategy (on normal servers); spam moves are really easy to counter, and aren't exploits of the game engine; one can take a strategic and precision approach and win, yet one can also be a button masher and win - both have an equal chance in this game, so the player's attitude, fortitude, and personality has a more direct affect. The super fast key-combo guys don't necessarily have the advantage anymore.

Granted, it is a whole lot easier for a wider audience to enjoy and play than JO was... but I don't mind that one bit. And if you're willing to take what you think you know from JO and throw it out the window... and are intrigued by new challenges which require an open mind... then you might find that JA is a whole lot of fun, as well as more complex amd rich of a game than JO could have been.

There is a movement across the forums for all those who don't like JA, think it's uncompetitive, and think the removal of the "jump-kick" makes MP totally useless, to insult everybody who enjoys JA as being "unskilled noobs" who obviously sucked at JO. These kind of comments are generally either an espousal of ignorance at best; or the mark of "a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" at worst.

I was pretty good at JO... not a pro, but I had a 50/50 chance of besting just about anybody I came across. JA is a whole lot more enjoyable and challenging for me. I've encountered a pretty wide gamut of player, from the extremely skilled Single Saberist who plays with strategy, finesse, and patience; to the hardcore Sith Lords of FFA; to the RPG'rs that dream of the Sunsets on Tatooine; to the server full of kids who've never played an FPS before and think Darth Maul is the shizzle. I think it's great.

Not really the "hard facts" you were looking for, I know... but just run a few searches here and on the other forums (http://www.jedi-academy.org, http://www.ravenforums.com), and you'll find what you're looking for. Either way...

"You must do what you feel is right, of course..."

Most people I knew in JO left because they got tired of it after 1 1/2 years (most left for ut). Very few (infact noone I know) has left for JA.

Sorry, that was bad wording on my part. I didn't mean to imply that the same people that have dropped JO have gone to JA. I ment to say that many people are playing JA, and many others have dropped JO. I didn't mean to imply that they are the same group of people, since I really have no idea. :)

Chalk me up as a former JO player who is returnig to the franchise with JA!

I for one find the new sabre combat refreshing. I have many more choices, and different styles to figure out. I've also been enjoying the process of passing on the "Jedi Code" to many of the new groups of friends who have not played any of the JK series--was on a server of 7 this evening, and nobody knew how to accept a duel! By the end, folks were waiting in the centre for their change to fight it out with each other! Excellent!

I had a blast in JO, enjoyed ffa, duels, what have you, but my interest waned surprisingly fast (probably because I'm a QW player!). JA however has something...more.

(that said, I'm going to reinstall JO and play it through again methinks)

Forgot about one more important thing..

In JA, do people still spam red.jump.vertical slice/vertical slice spam??

couldnt stand that in JO... I mean, if you get close, the red hits.. it barely leaves any opening for attacks.. how are you supposed to counter that?

I've seen people that only needed to use that combo and win a good amount

I've played more hours online then I should probably admit, and I've only had the "Red Jump Vertical Slice" used on me one time - it was a kill hit though. I've come across many, many Red Stance single saberists, and they're not that difficult to beat if one recognizes the wind ups, and has a good sense of anticipation where the opponent is going. I've been one-hit killed from 100 health by a Red Stance saberist probably less than 10 times - and they were all executed extremely well and in surprising fashion.

The only really effective "spam" moves that could be considered "problematic" or "unbeatable" by some are the Duel Saber Kata, the Staff Butterfly, and the Single upward lunge... yet even still, they're not nearly that big of a deal - definitely not like the backstab, Red DFA, and jump-kick from JO were. I've even come across a few people with Dual Sabers that walk backwards and try to spam the backslice just like they did in JO... it's hilarious because it rarely works and looks really silly.

I was a good JO player. No i didn't suck, i won most of my duels with anyone, and the worst winning ratio on a duel for me was 40%.

Whoever says that the JA is all for unskilled n00bs is for the a**-fighters and scriptie kids.

The staff is about spamming special moves, refer to my post at strategy shack, it is balanced, and whoever says katas are invincinble doesnt know how to play. Altough they could use an arc range reduction, thats about it...

Besides, staff and dual sabers are 1 big thing this is worth buying :)

- How many servers are out there and people playing it? Just as much as JO before JA came out? Right now it seems that JO = dead

JK2 has been out 1 1/2 years roughly and has less than 500 servers up at any one time (based on checking ASE over the past few weeks).

JA has slightly more servers (usually over 500 but less than 600 at any given time). It's been out nearly 2 months and just got its first patch.

This is Multiplayer here btw:

- Saber dueling.. gimme all the facts about it!! what changes were made? Do people still red spam (vertical slice 2x, jump vertical slice... etc)? What roles do the two new saber styles play in duels? Like is dual sabers more better for gung-ho attacking or what?

Some people consider certain moves for the single sabers to be "nerfed" (do less damage). However since Raven recommends saberdamagescale 2 I find that sabers are actually more useful as weapons in non duel situations and the duels are more exciting and faster overall than JK2.

The fact is you have more moves now than before, making duels more complex and exciting. Some say these new moves are "uber" but if misused they are not very helpful and can hinder you more than help IMHO.

Basically you have Katas (spinning attacks that freeze you in place althoug you can "turn" with the mouse during them) that use up half your mana. The single saber has three different Katas (one per stance).

Every stance also has a "rolling stab" attack. Roll then stab forward. A good conter/surprise move. It uses 1/4 of your mana.

You can also do a "cartwheel" escape move that uses 1/4 your mana with single or dual sabers.

All three of the "special move" for the single saber use up 1/4 your mana (DFA, yellow DFA flip attack, Lunge attack).

The Strong (red) stance has the ability to not only knock back a person's blade with a hit, but can also knock a saber out of somebody's hand temporarily (they have to run near it and hold attack to pick it back up!). You can also easily "drop" your saber if you throw it and it gets blocked. A Dual Saberist can lose both their sabers this way (and while a saber is on the ground you can't switch weapons until you get it back, after a long time it will respawn in your hand if you don't pick it up). A staff is hardest to lose but it is possible.

A staff user can "kick" anytime (unless he has one blade turned off). Kicks do hardly any damage (1-2 hp) but can knock you down. Being knocked down by this or other means allows a person to do a "downward stab" jumping attack on the body which is almost always a kill, but very hard to hit properly (because you can quickly roll away or flip up, or "kick" up and knock THEM down by tapping a key).

The Saberstaff has its own "stance" and a secondary stance that is like single yellow (Medium) with one blade off except it lacks the ability to do katas or the yellow DFA move. The Saberstaff has a "twirl" move that is a fast forward combo that freezes you in place and you can't turn. The staff also has a spinning forward attack called a "butterfly" instead of a cartwheel, in which you can turn at two points during the move. The staff Kata is slower and leaves you more vulnerable than the single katas, but it includes a kick partway through which doesnt do much damage but can knock the enemy down.

In JA the players seem to jump slightly higher by default. In the patch rolling is slightly harder (you need "momentum" to do it and you can't just hold down the keys and do infinite rolls, you have to continually tap the keys each time). So you can run and jump and roll or roll after falling, etc.

The single DFA is easier to do (you don't have to wind up, but you can just do it instantly) though it seems harder to hit with.

The fact is though that ALL moves are harder to hit with. Instead of huge bounding boxes like JK2, JA uses ghoul2 hit detection and locational damage. This reward accuracy and is meant (it's not perfect and lag affects it) to reduce glancing blows that don't seem to hit but kill you, etc. A head shot will kill most of the time, whereas limb hits do hardly any damage.

Staff also allows a backflip attack (very hard to hit with, more an escape manuver) that uses no mana.

Dual Sabers allow a flipping attack (similar to the butterfly but less controllable and faster). Duals have their own twirl (similar to the staff twirl) and a "Dual Saber Barrier" (player crouches down and tosses both sabers that orbit around his body... he can also "turn" to spin them faster). This move seems very powerful and people get mad when its used, but it uses half your mana like a kata and has many many counters (crouching under it, kata or dfa at the right moment, push, lightning, etc).

With Dual sabers you can throw one saber and still have another to fight with (with reduced defense and very few swings). You can turn off one blade and have Fast (Blue) stance only without the blue Kata (you can still lunge though).

So overall, Duals and Staff seem very powerful, but Single has more moves and therefore more versatility to make up for any apparent minuses in terms of power and speed.

Saberdamagescale 2 balances the damage very well and its what Raven recommends people use.

Staff and Duals have infinite chainable combo ability, but so does Fast Stance for single.

- What things are nerved in dueling? Red spam still around/effective? and blue uppercut spamming too. Not to mention YDFA

You can't "turn" during any of the special moves (only katas). You can still do the backtabs/slashes and two handed backslashes but they seem to do slightly less damage than before and of course you can't pivot during them. Spamming is reduced because twirls, specials, butterfly/flipping attacks/rolls all uses up mana. Unless the server has jacked up their force mana regen time (to 0 for example) you can only do four specials before you're out of mana (or two katas).

There are generic acrobatic moves you can do regardless of the saber type or stance you use. Instead of a wall walk, you now have a wall RUN that you can adjust the distance you run and works on more surfaces. You can do a "wall grab" jump, and with g_debugmelee 1 cvar you can hang on forever like Spiderman or Daredevil although your mana wont recharge while holding.

You can also "run up" the side of a wall vertically which may or may not be useful but it sure looks cool. ; )

Saberlocks seem to be more rare than in JA (and there's some cool combos you can do when you win to finish them with Dual sabers and Saberstaff). Dual Sabers & Saberstaff are the same at all Saber Attack levels, but I've read that the level of Saberattack makes duels easier to win the higher it is. You can also increase the chances of saber locks in saber challenges and Duels with a cvar.

- Siege servers. anyone actually play it? Or is it as dead as Capture the Ysallamari (sp?)?

As of right now FFA is the most popular JA gametype right now. In fact, most servers are FFA's with all weapons and at least one force power disabled (some more, some less). The second most popular gametype is Duel, followed closely by Siege. Next is CTF, then Team FFA and PowerDuel. Note that most of the time Team FFA is the lowest and sometimes Siege edges out Duel by a few servers. In JK2 most people play FFA, followed by CTF with the other modes only making single digit servers if that.

I play Siege and host a server, it's lots of fun once you learn how to play and get a full team together!

Now that people are upgrading to the patch and servers are updating its really turning out nicely. For a long time (before the patch) the server browser bug made it so only 30 out of 500+ servers appeared unless you used ASE or Qtracker. Now that this major bug is fixed, I say go out and buy the game, if you liked the Demo. ; )

I forgot to mention that you can only use Sabers in third person mode in JA (you can use the cg_fpls 1 code, but the player model's head is in the way, bummer). Vehicles are all third person mode as well in MP.

If you need one good reason to get JA, it's Siege mode. ; )

PS: I'm not sure if you're interested in the other weapons, but here is my rundown of what's changed as I've noticed with the other weapons in MP:

BlasTech pistol = its the bryar with a cooler model, slower rate of fire and infinite ammo.

ST Rifle = slightly faster primary fire, otherwise the same as before.

Bowcastor = same as before

DEMP2 = vastly improved. Has a prolonged "stunning effect" (increases the more you charged up your shot) that shocks players and prevents them from firing their weapons for a short period (up to a few seconds).

Melee (fists) = replaces the Stun Baton for saber-less players (non Jedi in Siege or if you remove all points from Saber attack in regular games). Much more fun to use than Stun Baton IMHO. You can only use it in third person. With a server side cvar G_debugmelee you can also do kicks with secondary fire (like the staff) and grapples (grab the enemy and beat them senseless for 30 damage points, its super funny too). Punches do about 10 damage per hit and kicks do 1-2 damage per hit but can knock you down or off a cliff. Using Rage with Fists makes you punch super fast! You can also throw lightning using both hands if you have fists out, which makes lightning do double damage!

Punches and kicks are very hard to land if there's lag though.

Disruptor = A mixed bag. You can "move" while the scope is out and if you move or jump it will cancel your charged shot but keep the scope out so you can reaim (though you waste ammo doing this). There is usually a slight delay after a charged shot to come out of the scope to switch weapons. Also with the new hit detection system you have to be much more accurate with your shots which is frustrating for beginners or on laggy servers.

Flechette = same as before, although the new hit detection system makes it harder to hit with sometimes (though this really applies to all guns.. still, if you can manage a head shot you'll do much more damage than before).

Repeater = Same as 1.04.

Merr Sonn = Vastly improved. The "rocket bug" exploit has been removed in the patch (IIRC) but the main thing is that the Merr Sonn is much easier to get on maps and ammo is much more plentiful. Plus the gun has a much higher ammo capacity, meaning its much more useful in battle.

Concussion Rifle (new gun) = fires big explosive very fast shots that make your view go haywire when you fire. Secondary is a beam that is unblockable and unpushable that knocks the enemy down or sends them flying into the air. This gun is hard to find and uses up a ton of ammo per shot. But its fun to use.

Thermal Detonators = Vastly improved. Somewhat easier to push away, but they seem to go farther, have slightly bigger blast radiuses and you can max out their distance quicker. You can also hold onto them (in the "ready to throw" position) forever.

Det Packs = Somewhat improved. You can lay them down slightly faster and they seem to have a larger blast radius. Now you can actually use them on the run and not just as traps! You can only lay down a max of 10 though per player (in JK2 you could lay down a max of 20, although that rarely ever happened unless you were using cheats or something).

Trip Mines = Vastly Improved. Secondary fire is no longer a crappy time based explosion, but rather a proximety mine (that won't blow up allies, so its great for team games) that lasts for 30 seconds. You can lay them down MUCH faster than before (especially secondary mode). They are great as a regular weapon and even better for setting traps. You can only lay down a max of 10 though per player.

Overall guns are harder to hit with but if you're accurate they do more damage. Also its somewhat easier to push away shots in JA. In JK2 you could push maybe 1 out of 10 blaster shots that came out you. Now you can do maybe 3 out of 10 if you're really fast and aiming perfectly. Doesn't help much but on occasion you can push a primary DEMP2 or a Concussion shot when it really counts.

In addition to those weapons you also have the AT-ST (fires improved blaster shots and rockets with secondary) and the Swoop bikes (explode easily, but you can "run over" people and shoot them with the blaster mounted on its underside or slash them with your saber as you speed by) in Siege. You can also use the Heavy Blaster cannons (those turrets in JK2 SP) in Siege and in one CTF map. Pretty cool. You're forced into third person to use all these btw and vehicles respawn (except for the cannons, though they can be repaired if they are only damage in Siege).

Also in Siege certain classes have special weapons.

The Snowtrooper and Rebel on Tatooine have EWEB cannons. You use it like an item and it places a stationary heavy blaster with infinite ammo. Great as a support weapon or for destroying structures. Aims slow though and explodes and kills you if its damage too much so poor for direct combat.

Lando the scout has a cloaking device (like the predator) that is sort of a poor man's Mind Trick. Due to a bug it sometimes doesn't work though, and can be countered by Demp2 shots.

Boba Fett the Scout has a built in Jet Pack. With it he can fly around, but it has limited fuel that has to recharge.

I started playing JO a while ago (since around first patch),

These guys are just mad there getting beat by kids,

JA is a great game, I strongly suggest you get it.

If all these people hated the game so bad, why wouldthey bother posting there complaints, I mean really, does it get them anywhere? (just mho)

I've had a great amount of enjoyment form this game, I give 4 out of 5 stars...

...with two thumbs up and a toe

:elephant:

imho,

eniaC

P.S. there is alot of whining on servers though, kinda sucks (newb, lamer, a**hole, the list gets worse but I'll spare you.)

(imho)

Oh one last thing I forgot. There's an elite band of JK2 players who were good at Sabers Only Full Force CTF that are mad as hell about JA.

Mainly because the flip kicks (remember those moves?) from JK2 are GONE. You can kick with staff and melee but it's a different kind of kick that's much slower and weaker (only really good for knocking people down or off cliffs, not killing).

Due to this, if you were a big fan of that playing style you may be disappointed until a mod comes out to add the move back in.

With g_debugmelee 1 you can do the move in Single Player, just not multiplayer. But it should be no problem to mod it back in.

Originally posted by Kurgan

You can kick with staff and melee but it's a different kind of kick that's much slower

By many accounts the patch has made the kicks much easier to hit with.

Originally posted by Jedith

Single sabers, nerfed?

Not from my experience. I love using the single saber...

No, no. I can win duels against players just fine, its the randomosity of competetive duelling that annoys me.

JA was nurfed to accomodate an unskilled noob style of play, fine I don't agree with it, but I can still beat you at it. The only problem I have with JA and the reason why I only play it perhaps 1/2 hours a week is that competetive MP is no longer feasible.

Sure you'e gonna stand there and say 'well me an mah mates who are pwners on legs pwn all teh 1337 clan becuz we r B3st!11". Yes, I own a flying sheep.

Back to the point, I guarantee that no JK2 'veteran' will play this game. By being a veteran, you must have mastered JK2 and to step down into a less skillful game is simply ludicrous.

However, this is not the primary reason for not playing JA.

Saber MP is no longer feasible due to shaky game physics (for saber hit and block) and various oversights such as being able to drain more health than someone can inflict aswell as not being able to stop an fc in ctf.

Don't tell me this is untrue, because I'd rather you just admit you're completely clueless about competetive play. Aswell as stepping down into a lower skill game, these are also the reasons why no JK2 veteran has moved to this game. They can all see that competetive gameplay isn't an option at the moment.

Ok they removed things unskilled players couldn't cope with, giving the usual excuses like " 0Mg U hured kicks 0Mg you hure ptk 0Mg L4M3R L4M3R 0Mg 0Mg". Fine, you can't cope with them. Take them out. But what have they all been replaced by?

Katar

Rollstab

Butterfly

I count 17 aspects of gameplay that affect competetive gameplay that have been removed from JK2. And 3 have been added. 3 new things that aren't all that effective but 'look good'.

Sure if you just want to play uncompetetively, chasing after people spamming blue style, be my guest. But I also believe that other audiences should have been accomodated. I also believe that wiothout a competetive community a game will die. The ability is here within this game (from the copied JK2 code) so why not give the option to use it?

Finally Kurgan: You've read the s/o ctf posts I don't know how many times, but still you misunderstand. The annoyance is that there is no way to stop an fc. Kicks provided a means to stop and fc, or kick him off a ledge, not as a source of actually killing the fc.

In JA there is no longer this option. Saber staff kicking is too slow aswell as not being able to pull the fc before kicking. There is no way to stop an fc in s/o ctf. And please, please, please, don't try to argue against this. I'm really not interested. Do you really think the entire s/o ctf community is wrong because they didn't think about turning damage up or taking speed out. There is no way out until raven provides kicks or an alternate way to stop someone (however kicks are already coded). Again, all raven need do is provide the option to turn them on or off.

Originally posted by Jaden X

Hey, is Siege like... let's say... Counter Strike? I mean, your team has an objective, and you'll only respawn when the ENTIRE team die?

No, it's much more like Battlefield 1942 where there's a little timer thingy which ticks down for a few seconds before you can respawn.

Back to the point, I guarantee that no JK2 'veteran' will play this game. By being a veteran, you must have mastered JK2 and to step down into a less skillful game is simply ludicrous.

I thought aeroPhalanx and /<aotics were skilled veterans, they are competive JA players, they still play JO, I believe.

maybe I'm wrong:

http://www.teamwarfare.com/viewTeam.asp?team=aero+Phalanx

eniaC

Archived