Home

DF fan soundtrack 2nd version

Lundquist

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have suffered through 3 hours of downloading the second edition, (I had problems with slow downs and download crashes), and I have to say GREAT JOB! I have now burned on CD so now I have two CDs of DF soundtrack (1st and 2nd editions). Great job Lunquist, I hope you make version of other old game classic soundtracks too. Keep up the good work.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, awesomeness. That sounds very...real.

However, I do have some constructive criticism.

Firstly, the opening track has about one second of silence before the Star Wars Main Title music begins. This is fine, but...it's not silence. You can hear a tiny bit of instrumental sound, like the very end of another song.

And second, there is a problem at the end of most tracks: the sound is cut off. Tracks will end before the sound can fade out completely. This is much more apparent when you play the tracks at a high volume.

Yeah, the sound at the beginning, I don't know what that is, I extracted the track with EAC, so whatever it is is on the album as well, or something went wrong with the extraction - I haven't checked yet.

when I recorded the dry tracks I (stupidly) stopped the recording too soon, when I added the reverb later the recordings weren't long enough to include the entire release trail... I hoped noone would notice:p

There is a reason though, that I haven't changed it - and also why I haven't made an opening version with the SOTE bit in it; I've begun work on a possible 3rd version, which will require A LOT more work then the previous 2. I'm not sure if it's going to go through or not, but if it does, lets just say it won't get much better...

Not sure what that is, exactly, as I haven't heard the first version, but...if it's not part of Dark Forces, why put it in the soundtrack? :confused:

Also, there's just a bit missing from the Main Titles track. Here it is (a short recording of my MIDI synthesizer playing it):

DFmissing.wav

Although, I can see how it would have been tough to smoothly transition from the performed Star Wars Main Titles to the synthesized Dark Forces stuff when this part is a continuation of Main Titles...

Just to remind you, Lundquists soundtrack is not the official DFMOD soundtrack. He can do watever he wants to make the music and the transitions sound good. If he thinks part of SotE or any other SW related music fits in, he can do it.

As long as it sounds good :p

Originally posted by Cerrabore

Not sure what that is, exactly, as I haven't heard the first version, but...if it's not part of Dark Forces, why put it in the soundtrack? :confused:

Because it sounds amazing and a lot more powerfull :)

Cerrabore: Yeah, I now about that clarinet part, the problem is that the strings playing in that part didn't blend well with the strings from the actual recording, so your assumption is the exact reason I left it out.

Okay, this may be slightly OT; in the following link is a small piece of music from Hook, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if they think it's the real thing or made with samples?

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/gffrpg/test.mp3

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should do all the work I had planned or not...

Well, well, its hard to tell, it sounds very good.

Although the quality of the instruments is great and the reverb is fine, I tend to say its computer generated. It's a bit too straight, to clean, to thin :o

Some examples:

The strings from 0:25 on are indifferent, they have exactly the same timbre at any note.

The brass section at 0:39 has no natural fade. It's suddenly there and again suddenly not there and the whole section has the same light vibrato, which is somehow unexpected for a group of players.

The clarinet at 1:01 repeats 100% exactly the first 5 notes, an the fade out sounds a bit strange (like a loop), and it changes slightly the tone height.

Too bad I don't have the original Williams soundtrack to compare :rolleyes:

Won't you try the Radetzky March next time :D

BAH! you have too good of a hearing :p, repititions always give it away - along with the trumpets... Oddly though, none of the instruments are looped and they've all been recorded with natural release trails. Oh well, I wonder if I'll ever be able to make midi sound convincing?(sp?)

Let's hope this live orchestra thing gets through...

Radetzky March? I might have a go at it, though I'm not really much for Strauss...

Though I tend to be perfectionist and sometimes pedantic, I'm not quit perfect myself :rolleyes:

The demo sounds almost perfect, it's just missing a bit of life, how shall I say, there is a little thing missing I can't describe. Perhaps enhance the contrabasses, the triangle and the timpani a little bit to make them tininessly more present, that would be all.

But for normal ears, I think it sounds perfect already :cool:

Hmm I prefer Mozart & Debussy, but my favorite Strauss is "The Blue Danube waltz" :D

Originally posted by The_One

Midi will never compare to live instruments - it's just something you can never replicate, no matter how hard you try :p

Never say never. Synthetic reproduction of sounds is 100 times better today than 20 years ago. Today we can get some very convincing synthetic orchestral reproductions. In 20 more years technology then will be 100 times better than today. Even then you will still probably be able to hear the difference, but imagine 100 years from now and I'm not so sure anymore.

Sorry for the double post but there were problems with the forum when I posted and it took about 5 minutes before I cancelled and resubbmitted and then 10 minutes later it finally went through. Whe I looked at my post I saw it was a double post so I edited the second to explain :).

If you are a mod go ahead and delete this message.

That may be true, but the amount of work you'd have to put into it would almost be astronomical, you'd have to have a lot of different versions of the same note with different expression, so that no note is exactly the same. Also a totally believable stringsection would be tough, as not all players in the section connect notes the exact same way, and at the exact same time. Though I have no doubt that the future samplers will be able to fool a lot of people.

You mean the double post?

I noticed the forum sometimes takes a while to process the post.

In this case, simply DON'T go back or DON'T press the submit button again, because this will result in double posts...

Simply let the system work... it mostly takes a few minutes since a few days, but then the post suddenly appears at the bottom of the thread :-)

Archived