Home

Any Servers Out There Running The Melee Mod?

ChangKhan

there is also a server called "NC100" which runs the melee mod 24/7 i guess.its a jedi vs merc server

but its a bit laggy from where i play (belgium),dunno where its hosted.

sometimes if admins are around cheat are on,not much though,too much people "abuse" the god mode,noclip and mass spawning causeing the server to lag like hell and/or crash.

Yeah I was on Kurgans for some melee action. Also we got to try out a patch for melee mod that fixed the blood issues in MP. Much fun.

I was thinking how great a mod this could be if slice, dice, and mince could rework it. Or if another team picked it up. I was gonna try skinning some of the weapons but its alot harder than making player skins.

After you left the other day, I was forced to remove it after receiving many complaints from people that the weapons were too unbalanced. However I can reupload it again, I have to agree it was pretty fun... As long as we keep the melee weapon guys only fighting against the other melee weapon guys and keeping away from the people that want to fight with regular lightsabers.

I suppose I'll have to give it some thought, and perhaps host a tweaked version of the weapons on our own webserver with decreased damage for any of the weapons that need balancing.

Originally posted by A_Bug

there is also a server called "NC100" which runs the melee mod 24/7 i guess.its a jedi vs merc server

but its a bit laggy from where i play (belgium),dunno where its hosted.

sometimes if admins are around cheat are on,not much though,too much people "abuse" the god mode,noclip and mass spawning causeing the server to lag like hell and/or crash.

I don't see a server with that name either.

Bull. How so?

Lathain, I call bull on you pal... ; )

You yourself admitted that it could be better when we last talked about it in fact!

Anyway, here's some stuff:

-Doesn't work in CTF (puts you on your own "team" with no team skin and teammates attack you and you can hurt them)

-Merc's can't roll at all (I think I may have rolled once when I fell off of something, though I still took damage), thanks to the patches "momentum required" rolls, thus making them much weaker (rolling is vital to non Force users, just take a look at Siege, where non-Jedi CAN roll).

-Doesn't work in Siege (though I understand it was never intended to, but still). Weird stuff happens, 'nuff said.

-Not balanced (this was a problem in JK2 as well). Mercs have no defense against Dark Jedi powers, in addition to Push, Pull, Saber throw, etc (especially with high saber damage). Most people don't play as Mercs though (simply because Jedi are more popular), so it ends up just being the same as a Sabers Only FFA most of the times I've played. Being a Merc means a lot of areas are virtually out of reach, and what good does it do a Jedi to Force Jump to a hidden gun or ammo cache when he can't use it? Custom maps would be nice.

-Merc's start with guns, but they're all blaster weapons (ST Rifle, BlasTech and Bowcastor). Without debugmelee (and no chance of using lightning, dark rage or mind trick), fists are useless. You either got shot up or sabered before you can land a single blow. The Merc's can just have their guns all pulled away (except the crappy blastech) anyway. I would take away the Bowcastor and give them some thermal detonators or more armor or something, and let the Jedi keep their 2x damage sabers.

How about this... make the teams actually based on class? Or make it work in CTF? I dunno, it just needs a lot of tweaking to be anywhere near balanced.

Sure, a good gunner can still beat Jedi (on certain maps) and a good jedi can still beat average or mediocre gunners, but still... at least in the base game everybody has a level playing field.

------------------------

Server's like Kawai's are different because he modifies the game mode using cvars.... he removes certain guns/ammo, and forces Jedi to lower at least one saber to perform certain force powers.

JediVMerc is just a toggle, it takes a lot of tweaking to make it anywhere near balanced. Even with the cvars in game it still needs a lot of work.

The classes in Siege are fairly balanced (though they are balanced for the map and objectives, not as a FFA, which is what JediVMerc is, a FFA).

ProMod was fairly balanced, because it gave you a range of tweaks and bonuses for both sides to make up for what they gave up (gun accuracy and lethality vs. force strength and saber lethality).

Bottom line for me:

I understand that JediVMerc was an "unsupported bonus feature" thrown into JK2 1.04. It just happens to have been left in in JA.

Like SAGA, JediVMerc is (as I see it) simply Raven messing around with some half-finished ideas, that both later came to fruition in the excellent Siege game mode.

With proper tweaking and mods it can be somewhat balanced and fun, but for now... heh

Archived